389th Strategic Missile Wing
706th Strategic Missile Wing
The 564th Strategic Missile Squadron, activated on 01 July 1958, was initially assigned to the 706th Strategic Missile Wing (SMW) at F. E. Warren Air Force Base, Wyoming. With its Atlas C intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) weapon system, the 564th became the first missile unit constructed solely for operational purposes. On 01 October 1960 the 549th Strategic Missile Squadron became the last Atlas E SMS to be activated. The 549th SMS was redesignated 566th SMS on 01 July 1961. On that same date the parent 706th Strategic Missile Wing stood down. Command responsibilities at Warren were assumed by the recently activated 389th Strategic Missile Wing. The 389th Strategic Missile Wing was placed in readiness during the Cuban missile crisis in November 1962. In May 1964, as the Atlas D missiles were being phased out, the 389th Strategic Missile Wing received SAC's last operational readiness inspection for this system. In September, SAC deactivated the 564th SMS. During the following March, the 566th SMS would also be deactivated, completing the phaseout of the Atlas E at Warren.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|