307th Bomb Wing
On August 1, 1950, the 307th Bombardment Group, Medium with its B-29s deployed from MacDill AFB, Florida to Kadena AB, Okinawa. One week later the Superfortresses went into action over Korea. From August through September, they attacked strategic objectives in North Korea, such as the enemy's transportation system and industrial facilities. Following a campaign in November 1950 against bridges over the Yalu River into Manchuria, the B-29s struck interdiction targets, including communications and supply centers, and supported UN ground forces by hitting gun emplacements and troop concentrations. Not officially inactivated until June 1952, the 307th Group became an unmanned organization on February 10, 1951, replaced by the 307th BW.
The 307th Bombardment Wing, Medium moved without personnel or equipment to Kadena AB, Okinawa, on February 10, 1951 and absorbed the resources of the 307th BG. For the next few months the wing's bombers participated in FEAF's bridge-busting campaign, flying numerous missions against key spans. The 307th BW also helped UN ground forces blunt a communist spring offensive. On May 23, it participated in a tremendous nighttime close air support effort, shredding enemy positions along the entire battlefront with radar-aimed fragmentation bombs. Until the end of the war, it continued attacks against industrial targets, bridges, troop concentrations, airfields, supply dumps, rail yards, enemy frontline positions, and lines of communications. By late 1952, the 307th BW usually flew night shoran missions, with enemy airfields and dams as primary targets. As the truce talks neared conclusion in July 1953, the wing helped spoil an enemy ground offensive, earning a Distinguished Unit Citation. By the end of hostilities, the 307th BW and 307th BG combined had flown over 5,800 combat missions.
The 307th Bomb Wing was stationed at Lincoln Air Force Base, Nebraska in 1963.
In 1965, SAC began a nine-year effort in Southeast Asia, with a variety of Air Force aircraft operating from Thailand, including B-52s from the 7th Bomb Wing, Carswell AFB and the 320th BW, Mather AFB, Calif. The B-52s worked out of U-Tapao in their attacks against the Viet Cong and North Vietnamese. The 4258th Strategic Wing (SAC) was activated in June 1966 at U-Tapao under 3rd Air Division, Anderson AFB, Guam. Equipped with B-52D aircraft, the wing was charged with the responsibility of supporting refueling requirements of USAF fighter aircraft in Southeast Asia, plus conducting bombing missions on a daily basis. On 1 April 1970, in conjunction with the redesignation of the 3rd Air Division, Anderson AFB, Guam, as the Eighth Air Force, the 4258th SW was redesignated as the 307th SW. On 1 June 1972 the 307th SW was reorganized into the 17th Air Division (Provisional), the 310th SW (Provisional) and the 307th SW. U-Tapao Stratofortress force is under the control of the 307th wing, while the, KC-135 tanker force is under the 310th wing.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|