July 2017 Space News
- Iran's space activities for peaceful purposes: Official IRNA 31 Jul 2017 -- Deputy Minister of Communications and Information Technology and Head of Iran's Space Agency Mohsen Bahrami said that all Iranian space activities including launching and using satellites are conducted for peaceful purposes.
- Deployment of further THAAD launchers can be re-considered: S. Korean defense chief People's Daily 31 Jul 2017 -- South Korea's defense chief said Monday that the decision to "temporarily" deploy four more mobile launchers of the U.S. Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile defense system can be re-considered if people feel anxious about it.
- US mulls deploying Patriot missiles to Estonia: Prime minister Press TV 31 Jul 2017 -- Estonia's prime minister says he has held talks with US Vice President Mike Pence over the possible deployment by Washington of the Patriot missile system to the Baltic state amid rising tensions between NATO states and Russia.
- US Ready to Move Additional THAAD Systems to South Korea as Quickly as Possible Sputnik 31 Jul 2017 -- The Pentagon has said it is "certainly ready" to move additional pieces of the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) to South Korea as "quickly as they can."
- S Korea in Talks With US About Resuming THAAD Deployment – Defense Ministry Sputnik 31 Jul 2017 -- According to the Ministry of National Defense, Seoul and Washington have begun consultations on the matter of resuming the deployment of the THAAD system.
- THAAD Intercepts Test Target MDA 30 Jul 2017 -- The U.S. Missile Defense Agency and U.S. Army soldiers of the 11th Air Defense Artillery Brigade from Fort Bliss, Texas, conducted a successful missile defense test today using the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system.
- US military conducts 'successful' THAAD missile test over Pacific Ocean Press TV 30 Jul 2017 -- The US military says it has successfully tested a Terminal High Altitude Defense (THAAD) missile system in Alaska by intercepting a ballistic missile over the Pacific Ocean.
- Global reactions to Iran space rocket test IRNA 29 Jul 2017 -- Iran's launching of its newly-developed satellite carrier, nicknamed Simorgh, into the space has caused different reactions across the globe.
- China urges ROK, U.S. to stop THAAD deployment People's Daily 29 Jul 2017 -- China on Saturday strongly urged the Republic of Korea (ROK) and the United States to respect China's concerns and stop the deployment of the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system.
- Allies follow suit day after US kicked up a fuss about Iran space launch Press TV 29 Jul 2017 -- Three European allies of the US have engaged in rhetoric against Iran after the country successfully tested a satellite-launch rocket, urging Tehran to halt all its missile activities.
- New Launch Pads Signal More Rocket Launches For India Sputnik 29 Jul 2017 -- A new launch pad being built at India's Sriharikota space center of the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) will have the capacity to launch more rockets next year.
- U.S. Allies Join In Denouncing Iranian Satellite Rocket Launch RFE/RL 28 Jul 2017 -- European allies on July 28 joined the United States in condemning Iran's launch of a satellite-carrying rocket and warned that it runs counter to a UN resolution carrying out the 2015 nuclear deal.
- Additional THAAD Missile Launchers to Be Deployed at US Base in South Korea Sputnik 28 Jul 2017 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in has announced that a new set of missile interception launch platforms will be deployed at a US military base in South Korea, according to public news outlet Yonhap.
- 'Stop Immediately': China Reiterates Protest to US THAAD System in South Korea Sputnik 28 Jul 2017 -- China reaffirms its strong objections to US plans on deploying a Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) anti-missile system in South Korea, as it may threaten China's national security, Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Lu Kang said Friday.
- Aiming High: India Looks at More Satellite Launches With New Facility From 2018 Sputnik 28 Jul 2017 -- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) will get a major capacity boost from early 2018 as an additional launch pad is fast nearing completion. With the new launch pad, ISRO can achieve its target of sending 12 rockets into space in a year from the seven at present.
- S Korea to Conduct New Environmental Survey of THAAD Deployment Site Sputnik 28 Jul 2017 -- The South Korean government is planning to carry out an additional, and more extensive survey of possible environmental impacts the deployment of the THAAD missile defense system will have on the Seongju area, the South Korean Defense Ministry said Friday.
- Iran successfully launches Simorgh satellite carrier Press TV 27 Jul 2017 -- Iran has successfully launched its domestically-manufactured Simorgh carrier, whose mission is to put Iranian satellites into the orbit.
- Iran Reportedly Test-Launches Rocket Capable Of Taking Satellite Into Orbit RFE/RL 27 Jul 2017 -- Iranian state media report that Iran has successfully test-launched a rocket capable of carrying a satellite into a low Earth orbit.
- US blames human error for missile test failure Press TV 25 Jul 2017 -- The US military has blamed human error for a botched ballistic missile intercept test in late June, an embarrassing failure amid an ongoing row with North Korea over its missile program.
- US to conduct THAAD missile test in Alaska Press TV 24 Jul 2017 -- The US military is preparing for an upcoming test of its Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile system, which is often touted by Washington as a deterrent against what it calls missile threats from North Korea.
- S. Korea cancels plan to measure THAAD's radar wave emission amid opposition People's Daily 21 Jul 2017 -- South Korea's defense ministry on Friday canceled plan to measure electromagnetic waves, emitted from the radar of the U.S. Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile defense system deployed in the country's southeast region.
- Lithuanian President Suggests Stationing US Patriot Missile Systems in Baltics Sputnik 20 Jul 2017 -- Lithuanian President Dalia Grybauskaite said Thursday that obtaining US Patriot missile systems would be beneficial for the Baltic region, especially with regard to ensuring security.
- 'Eyes in space' and more powerful lasers will soon enhance the Army's arsenal Army News 19 Jul 2017 -- It's been a "dynamic year" for Army space and missile defense, with a multi-domain task force being formed, a new nanosatellite set to launch soon, and more powerful laser weapons in the works, said Lt. Gen. James H. Dickinson.
- Russia's Newest Angara Heavy-Lift Rocket May Be Used for Manned Flights Sputnik 19 Jul 2017 -- Russia's Angara heavy-lift launch vehicle can be used for manned flights.
- Indian Space Organisation Ensures Protection of Satellites From Space Debris Sputnik 19 Jul 2017 -- Facing criticism for launching hundreds of micro satellites into the same orbit where India's own Earth observation satellites are or will be, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has said that it has ensured the nano or micro satellites won't collide with each other.
- Romania: Patriot missiles not aimed at increasing tensions with Russia Press TV 15 Jul 2017 -- Romania has stressed that its possible purchasing of seven US-built Patriot missile defense systems is aimed at bolstering the country's defense and not antagonizing Russia.
- ISRO Develops Ship-Based Antenna System to Track Satellite Launches Sputnik 14 Jul 2017 -- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has successfully designed and developed a ship-borne transportable antenna terminal to fulfill the telemetry tracking and command requirements for all satellites and launch vehicle missions.
- US successfully tests THAAD missile defenses as DPRK tension rises People's Daily 12 Jul 2017 -- The US said on Tuesday its Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile defense system successfully intercepted its target during a test run over the Pacific Ocean.
- US State Dept. approves $3.9bn Patriot missile sale to Romania Press TV 12 Jul 2017 -- The US State Department has approved a $3.9 billion Patriot missile sale to Romania, a deal which is likely to anger neighboring Russia.
- US THAAD shoots down missile amid tensions with North Korea Press TV 12 Jul 2017 -- The US military says its controversial Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system has successfully shot down an incoming intermediate-range ballistic missile (IRBM) during a test over the Pacific Ocean.
- THAAD Successfully Intercepts Target in Missile Defense Test MDA 11 Jul 2017-- The U.S. Missile Defense Agency (MDA), the Ballistic Missile Defense System Operational Test Agency, and U.S. Army soldiers of the 11th Air Defense Artillery Brigade from Fort Bliss, Texas, conducted an intercept test today of the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) element of the nation's ballistic missile defense system.
- US Shoots Down Missile in Intercept Test Over Pacific VOA 11 Jul 2017 -- The U.S. said Tuesday it has successfully shot down a simulated incoming missile, bolstering its defense against the threat posed by North Korea's recent test launch of an intercontinental ballistic missile that could reach the United States.
- Romania - Patriot Air Defense System and Related Support and Equipment DSCA 11 Jul 2017 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Romania for Patriot air defense systems, related support and equipment. The estimated cost is $3.9 billion. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on July 10, 2017.
- US-made Patriots deployed in Lithuania for NATO drills Press TV 11 Jul 2017 -- A battery of the US-made Patriot ground-to-air missiles has been deployed in Lithuania as the NATO military alliance is readying for war games near the country's border with Russia.
- Russia to Build Super Heavy-Lift Rocket Launch Pad at Vostochny Space Center Sputnik 11 Jul 2017-- Russia plans to develop a launch pad for super heavy-lift launch vehicles needed for future lunar missions at the newly-build Vostochny space center, Roscosmos state space corporation Director General Igor Komarov said on Tuesday.
- US deploys advanced missile system to Lithuania near Russia Press TV 10 Jul 2017 -- The US has deployed the Patriot missile system to Lithuania to be used in NATO military drills, the first time the advanced missiles have been sent to the Baltics near Russia's border.
- US stations long-range Patriot missiles in Lithuania for exercises SPA 10 Jul 2017 -- The US military has stationed Patriot anti-aircraft missiles in Lithuania for military exercises for the first time, the Defence Ministry in Vilnius announced Monday, according to dpa.
- US Deploys Patriot Missile System in Lithuania for 1st Time - Defense Ministry Sputnik 10 Jul 2017 -- The US has deployed Patriot missile system in Lithuania for the first time.
- Poland to Create Missile Defense System Based on US Patriot System in 10 Years Sputnik 10 Jul 2017 -- Poland will build in 10 years its own missile defense system based on the US Patriot missile system, Polish Deputy Defense Minister Bartosz Kownacki said Monday.
- U.S. To Test Missile Defense In Alaska Amid Growing North Korean Threat RFE/RL 08 Jul 2017 -- The U.S. Missile Defense Agency says that it will within days test a sophisticated anti-ballistic-missile system, after North Korea this week launched a missile deemed capable of striking Alaska.
- US will test THAAD system in Alaska: Official Press TV 07 Jul 2017 -- The US Missile Defense Agency (MDA) says it will soon test an anti-ballistic missile system amid rising tensions over North Korea's increased missile tests.
- China develops sea launches to boost space commerce People's Daily 07 Jul 2017 -- China has a clear plan to provide sea launches for commercial payloads to be carried by Long March rockets, according to an aerospace official.
- US to Continue THAAD Deployment in S. Korea Despite Russia, China Opposition Sputnik 07 Jul 2017 -- The United States will continue to deploy its THAAD missile defense systems in South Korea despite recent opposition from Moscow and Beijing, State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert said in a press conference on Thursday.
- US agrees to sell Patriot missile defense systems to Poland: Ministry Press TV 06 Jul 2017 -- The United States has agreed to provide Poland with surface-to-air Patriot missile systems, as the eastern European country hosts US President Donald Trump ahead of a G20 summit of world leaders in Germany.
- Poland Signs Memorandum To Buy Patriot Missile Systems From U.S. RFE/RL 06 Jul 2017 -- Polish Defense Minister Antoni Macierewicz says the United States has agreed to sell Patriot missile-defense systems to Warsaw.
- Poland, US Sign Patriot Missile System Deal - Defense Ministry Sputnik 06 Jul 2017 -- The Polish Defense Ministry and the United States signed an agreement on the delivery of US Patriot missile systems to Poland, Polish Defense Minister Antoni Macierewicz said Thursday.
- Xi, Putin oppose THAAD deployment in South Korea People's Daily 04 Jul 2017 -- Visiting Chinese President Xi Jinping and his Russian counterpart, Vladimir Putin, met in Moscow on Monday and agreed to further cement bilateral ties and strengthen coordination on the Korean Peninsula and other major issues.
- India Plans to Roll Out National GPS Next Year Sputnik 04 Jul 2017 -- The Indian Space Research Organisation is set to offer GPS from its own navigation system for mobile users from next year, aiming to make it more accurate than foreign competitors' products. launch
- THAAD jeopardizes regional strategic balance: Xi People's Daily 03 Jul 2017 -- The U.S. deployment of an advanced anti-missile system in South Korea gravely harms the strategic security interests of China, Russia and other countries in the region, Chinese President Xi Jinping has said.
- Long March 5 rocket fails after launch People's Daily 03 Jul 2017 -- The flight of China's latest heavy-lift carrier rocket, the Long March 5-Y2, failed on Sunday evening when an anomaly occurred after its 7:23 pm blastoff from Wenchang Space Launch Center in Hainan province.
- Chinese Rocket Fizzles Out, Puts Other Launches on Hold Sputnik 03 Jul 2017 -- Despite the failed launch of the Changzheng 5 (Long March-5) heavy-lift rocket on Sunday, China is pinning a lot of hope on this new generation booster, capable of carrying 25 metric tons of payload into low orbit - more than double the country's previous lift capacity.
- China Launches Long March-5 Heavy-Lift Carrier Rocket With Shijan-18 Satellite Sputnik 02 Jul 2017 -- China has launched its Long March-5 heavy-lift carrier rocket from the Wenchang Space Launch Center in the southern island province of Hainan, a Sputnik correspondent reported.
- China to launch 2nd heavy-lift carrier rocket People's Daily 02 Jul 2017 -- China is scheduled to launch the Long March-5 Y2, the country's second heavy-lift carrier rocket, from the Wenchang Space Launch Center in southern China's Hainan Province Sunday, the State Administration of Science, Technology and Industry for National Defence said Saturday.
- Trump Revives U.S. Space Council, "Restoring Legacy Of Leadership' In Space RFE/RL 01 Jul 2017 -- U.S. President Donald Trump on June 30 signed an executive order reviving the National Space Council as former astronauts and NASA executives looked on.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|