July 2016 Space News
- Russia likely to provide Iran satellite components ISNA 31 Jul 2016 -- Components for Iranian satellites may be produced by Russia's Roscosmos space corporation, said Russian Communications Minister Nikolai Nikiforov after meeting with Iranian counterpart Mahmoud Vaezi in Moscow.
- DPRK condemns THAAD deployment on Korean Peninsula People's Daily 31 Jul 2016 -- After Seoul and Washington decided in early July to introduce the Terminal High Altitude Air Defense, or THAAD, onto the Korean Peninsula, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) immediately voiced strong condemnation and even threatened to take "physical countermeasures" to deal with the missile system.
- Russia, China slam US plan to station missile system in South Korea Press TV 30 Jul 2016 -- Russia and China have voiced worries about the planned deployment of an advanced US missile system to the Korean Peninsula, saying that such a move poses a threat to security in the already tense region.
- Citizens, politicians, media in S. Korea raise voices against THAAD deployment People's Daily 29 Jul 2016 -- South Korean citizens, politicians and news organizations are raising a dissenting voice over the decision between Seoul and Washington to deploy Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) in their homeland.
- UN members permitted to use China's manned space station People's Daily 29 Jul 2016 -- The United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA) and the China Manned Space Agency (CMSA) have agreed to work together to develop the space capabilities of United Nations member states through the use of China's planned space station, according to a report by PHYS.org.
- Russia's Advanced New Surveillance Satellites to Keep an Eye on US Carriers Sputnik 29 Jul 2016 -- The Russian Defense Ministry has plans to launch a new orbital surveillance system aimed to bolster the reconnaissance capabilities of the Aerospace Defense Forces. What kinds of capabilities will the new system have? One of Russia's leading online news and analysis portals spoke to military experts to try and find out.
- Russia, China Warn Against Placing US Missiles in South Korea Sputnik 29 Jul 2016 -- Russia and China condemn US plans to missiles to South Korea, the Russian Foreign Ministry said Friday.
- China Unhappy That Seoul Accepted US Missile-Defense System VOA 28 Jul 2016 -- Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi says South Korea's recent decision to deploy the United States' Terminal High Altitude Area Defence (THAAD) anti-missile defense system harms the foundation of mutual trust between Beijing and Seoul.
- U.S. Mulls Deploying Improved PAC-3 MSE in S. Korea KCNA 28 Jul 2016 -- It was disclosed on July 25 that the U.S. is going to deploy improved PAC-3 MSE, whose maximum altitude is twice that of PAC-3 now deployed in the U.S. imperialist aggressor forces present in south Korea.
- Russia About to Drastically Boost Its Orbital Surveillance Capabilities Sputnik 28 Jul 2016 -- A new type of advanced surveillance satellites will soon bolster the reconnaissance capabilities of the Russian Aerospace Forces.
- Seoul to Test THAAD Radar Waves Amid Local Population Health Concerns - MoD Sputnik 26 Jul 2016 -- The South Korean authorities will carry out additional testing of the electromagnetic emission of the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile system to be deployed by the United States in the country in an attempt to alleviate health concerns of the local population, the South Korean Defense Ministry said Tuesday.
- China releases footage concerning ballistic missile defense system test People's Daily 25 Jul 2016 -- Chinese authorities have released footage of the first-ever test authorities conducted for ballistic missile interception system 6-years ago.
- Chinese media focuses on anti-missile tests in wake of THAAD deployment plan People's Daily 25 Jul 2016 -- In response to the scheduled THAAD deployment in South Korea, Chinese state media has recently been reporting on China's anti-missile tests and the nation's missile defense system.
- China airs footage of 1st ballistic missile interception test Press TV 25 Jul 2016 -- China has released a footage of its first interception test for mid-course ballistic missile defense system in 2010.
- South Korea, US to Conceal THAAD Radar Data With Japan Sputnik 25 Jul 2016 -- Seoul and Washington will not share with Tokyo the data obtained via the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile system to be deployed by the United States in South Korea, Yonhap reported on Monday, citing a government source.
- China says South Korea abused mutual trust with THAAD deployment deal Press TV 24 Jul 2016 -- China has accused South Korea of abusing mutual trust between both countries by ignoring opposition and going ahead with the deployment of an advanced missile system on its soil.
- US Plan to Diversify Expendable Space Launch Vehicles Being Questioned Sputnik 22 Jul 2016 -- The US Air Force strategy to encourage different companies to provide competing first stage rocket boosters for launching satellites into orbit is being questioned as potentially unsustainable, officials say.
- S. Korean Opponents Argue THAAD May Do More Harm Than Good VOA 21 Jul 2016 -- Thousands of residents from the planned deployment site of the U.S. Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile defense system rallied in the South Korean capital Thursday to denounce the system as a health and safety threat to their communities.
- South Korean President Defends Missile Defense Plan VOA 21 Jul 2016 -- South Korean President Park Geun-hye is defending her decision to deploy a U.S.-built missile defense system on the country's southeastern peninsula, as protests against the plan continue.
- Kepler Space Telescope Discovers 104 Exoplanets VOA 19 Jul 2016 -- Astronomers say they have discovered 104 exoplanets, two of which could support life.
- 45th SW supports SpaceX's CRS-9 mission launch AFNS 18 Jul 2016 -- The 45th Space Wing supported SpaceX's successful launch of a Falcon 9 Dragon spacecraft headed to the International Space Station from Space Launch Complex 40 here July 18.
- Russia, China Could be 'Driving Force' in Creation of SCO Missile Shield Sputnik 18 Jul 2016 -- The creation of a joint missile defense system of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization is possible in the future, Russian experts said Monday during a media forum in Moscow.
- US missile system unreliable: Study Press TV 16 Jul 2016 -- The US missile system designed to defend American cities and towns against a limited nuclear attack is ineffective and "unable to protect the US public," according to a new report.
- China Commissions Advanced Space Tracking Ship Sputnik 16 Jul 2016 -- China on Tuesday formally commissioned its next-generation Yuan Wang 7 ocean-going ship for tracking and controlling spacecraft, after a two-month trial period, Chinese media reported.
- China Plans to Build Own Space Station Similar to ISS Sputnik 15 Jul 2016 -- China is developing its own space station and is building a new site which will be used to launch space stations and space technology. The trial run for the new rocket was a success so the construction of the station will begin in 2018.
- THAAD Radiation Fears Spark South Korean Protests VOA 15 Jul 2016 -- Protesters pelted South Korean Prime Minister Hwang Kyo-ahn with eggs and water bottles Friday as he tried to allay the concerns of citizens living near the site where the U.S. Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile defense system will be deployed.
- Experts refute rumors of Chinese satellite freefall People's Daily 14 Jul 2016 -- Several Western media outlets have accused China of losing control of its satellite, Tiangong-1, saying that the satellite's freefall could end in a dangerous collision with Earth. Chinese experts have responded to these stories, explaining that the reports are nothing more than ongoing "China threat" rhetoric.
- South Korean president advocates THAAD deployment amid protests Press TV 14 Jul 2016 -- South Korean President Park Geun-hye has supported the deployment of the US advanced missile system Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) amid opposition from both inside and outside the country.
- S.Korea to deploy THAAD in southeastern region despite opposition from neighboring countries People's Daily 13 Jul 2016 -- South Korea's defense ministry on Wednesday announced an agreement with the United States to deploy the U.S. missile defense system, called Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD), in its southeastern region despite continued oppositions from neighboring countries.
- China calls on US to cease THAAD deployment in South Korea Press TV 13 Jul 2016 -- China has reaffirmed its strong opposition to the US deployment of an advanced missile system in neighboring South Korea, warning that Beijing would take necessary steps to protect its interests.
- Despite Mass Protests, South Korea to Deploy Missile Defense Shield Sputnik 13 Jul 2016 -- The South Korean government has chosen the site for a new THAAD anti-missile defense unit supplied by the United States, despite opposition from China, Russia, and South Korean citizens.
- US THAAD Systems to Protect Up to 2/3 of South Korean Territory Sputnik 13 Jul 2016 -- South Korean Defense Ministry said that US THAAD (Terminal High Altitude Area Defense) systems will protect up to two-thirds of South Korean territory from missiles from North Korea.
- Iran to send two satellites into space by early 2017 ISNA 12 Jul 2016 -- Head of Iranian Space Organization Mohsen Bahrami said that three satellites of 'Dousti' (friendship), Amir-Kabir and Nahid (Venus) are scheduled to be launched into space soon.
- UK Space Agency Invests $5.4Mln in National Propulsion Test Facility Sputnik 12 Jul 2016 -- According to the agency statement, UK Space Agency is investing 4.12 million pounds ($5.4 million at the current exchange rates) in National Propulsion Test Facility that would be used for tests of space technologies.
- New Space Tracking Ship Yuanwang-7 Launched in China Sputnik 12 Jul 2016 -- China launched on Tuesday new space tracking ship Yuanwang-7, which is expected to monitor Chinese space missions, local media reported.
- U.S. to Deploy THAAD Missile Battery to South Korea AFPS 08 Jul 2016 -- Based on recent consultations, the United States and South Korea have made an alliance decision to deploy a Terminal High-Altitude Area Defense missile battery to U.S. Forces Korea as a defensive measure to ensure the security of South Korea and that of its people, and to protect alliance military forces from North Korea's weapons of mass destruction and ballistic missile threats, according to a Defense Department news release issued July 7.
- US, South Korea to Deploy Controversial THAAD Missile Defense VOA 08 Jul 2016 -- The U.S. and South Korea have announced plans to deploy the Terminal High-Altitude Area Defense - THAAD - on the Korean peninsula to counter North Korea's ongoing nuclear and ballistic missile development programs.
- MUOS-5 Transfer Maneuver Temporarily Halted, Satellite Reconfigured into Safe Intermediate Orbit NNS 08 Jul 2016 -- The fifth Mobile User Objective System satellite, which successfully launched aboard a United Launch Alliance Atlas 5 on June 24, was projected to reach its geosynchronous orbit and enter its test location 22,000 miles above Hawaii by July 3.
- Juno Spacecraft Enters Jupiter's Orbit VOA 05 Jul 2016 -- There were hugs, "high fives" and handshakes at Juno mission control at Jet Propulsion Laboratory Monday, as the unmanned spacecraft completed its engine burn to enter Jupiter orbit and start its 20-month mission mapping the giant planet.
- China Completes World's Biggest Radio Telescope in Search of Alien Life Sputnik 03 Jul 2016 -- China's scientists are ready to study deep space after placing the final panel into the Five-hundred meter Aperture Spherical Telescope (FAST) on Sunday.
- China announces successful satellite in-orbit refuelling People's Daily 01 Jul 2016 -- China has successfully completed the in-space refuelling of orbital satellites following last week's launch of a new-generation carrier rocket, the National University of Defense Technology announced on Thursday.
- Russia to Respond to US Missile Defense in Poland - Putin Sputnik 01 Jul 2016 -- Russia will be forced to respond adequately to the deployment of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization's (NATO) missile defense system in Poland and the Western alliance's estward military buildup, Russian President Vladimir Putin said Friday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|