February 1998 Space News
- Air Force opens door Reported by Chet DelSignore, Space and Missile Systems Center Public Affairs February '98 -Leading Edge The Evolved Expendable Launch Vehicle program acquisition approach has undergone a significant change in overall strategy by opening doors to award two contracts for its development. In November, Acting Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition and Technology Noel Longuemare approved an Air Force plan intended to introduce competition across the life of the program.
- Hard.Copy - 27 February 1998 Article Citations Gathered From Commercially Published Journals And Newsletters.
- ALERT goes strategic against missiles Astro News - Feb. 27, 1998 Maj. James D. Thorne Shield/ALERT Program Manager -- Since 1995, the Air Force has been operating a ground system called Attack and Launch Early Report to Theater to handle short-range, quick-burning tactical missiles, fusing data together from a variety of sources. The ALERT system took on a new task Jan. 1 to also provide back-up capability for launch detection messages for strategic missiles warnings.
- Global Positioning System marks 20th anniversary Released: Feb 24, 1998
- Global Positioning System celebrates 20 years of service By Aaron Renenger, SMC Public Affairs Office AFMC News Service # 98-3-20 - MAR. 23, 1998
- SMDC soon to be in the Observatory business SMDC PAO - 23 Feb 98 -- A state-of-the-art optical observatory may soon be built atop the Magdalena Mountains in central New Mexico, near Socorro.
- Hard.Copy - 20 February 1998 Article Citations Gathered From Commercially Published Journals And Newsletters.
- Hard.Copy - 13 February 1998 Article Citations Gathered From Commercially Published Journals And Newsletters.
- Navy Launches Meteorological-Oceanographic Satellite February 12, 1998 -- The US Navy's GeoSat Follow-On METOC satellite was launched atop a Taurus launch vehicle from Vandenberg AFB at 5:20 a.m. Tuesday, February 10th.
- TEXT: PATRIOT-ROLAND AGREEMENT SIGNED BETWEEN U.S., GERMANY USIA 09 February 1998
- Hard.Copy - 06 February 1998 Article Citations Gathered From Commercially Published Journals And Newsletters.
- Cruise Missile Defense Contract Awarded to Raytheon SMDC PAO - 2/2/98 On Jan. 30, the U.S. Army Space and Missile Defense Command (SMDC) awarded a big contract for the Joint Land Attack Cruise Missile Defense Elevated Netted Sensor, or JLENS, system to Raytheon Company in Huntsville, Ala.
- X-33 Space plane ventures closer By 1st Lt. Chris Hemrick, Air Force Flight Test Center Public Affairs Leading Edge February '98
- Ocean Remote Sensing in China: A Status Report, circa Mid-1997 John R. Apel - February 1998 - The report clearly cannot cover all aspects of the Chinese program, but it is believed to come close to establishing the centroids and the breadths of activities at the institutions surveyed-at least those which Chinese technologists were willing to discuss.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|