29 December 2022 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
Other Security News
- Major Losses Shift Islamic State, Al-Qaida's Balance of Power VOA 29 Dec 2022 -- Across the United States and many other Western countries, the threat from Islamist terror groups has been increasingly overshadowed by the threats from other extremist groups, some of whom have proven to be more deadly in recent years.
- 2022 Year in Review: DHS Responded to Wide-Ranging Threats and Challenges, Built Capacity for the Future DHS 29 Dec 2022 -- In 2022, challenges of unprecedented breadth confronted the United States: unrelenting ransomware and other cyberattacks, a rise in targeted violence, Russia's unprovoked assault against Ukraine, China's violations of international norms, increased levels of migration in our hemisphere, natural disasters of increasing gravity and frequency, and much more. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) responded to this dynamic threat landscape with leadership, new programs and capabilities, cross-component collaboration, and unflinching dedication to mission.
- The Republic of Poland's position on the application of international law in cyberspace Republic of Poland 29 Dec 2022 -- On the initiative of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Council of Ministers adopted The Republic of Poland's position on the application of international law in cyberspace.
- RaHDit Hackers Unveil Data on Over 100 NATO Officers Fighting Against Russia in Cyberspace Sputnik 29 Dec 2022 -- Russian hacker group RaHDit has published information on its website NemeZida on over 100 NATO officers fighting against Russia in the cyber domain, a group's member told Sputnik on Thursday on condition of anonymity.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- U.S. reports nearly 48,000 weekly child COVID-19 cases People's Daily 29 Dec 2022 -- Nearly 48,000 child COVID-19 cases were reported in the United States in the week ending Dec. 22, the third consecutive weekly rise in child cases, according to the latest report by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and the Children's Hospital Association.
- China Shifts COVID Policy to Jump-Start Ailing Domestic Growth VOA 29 Dec 2022 -- With a major shift in China's COVID-19 policy, Beijing is putting the focus back on economic growth. To lessen the blow to the domestic economy from the surge of infected people, Chinese officials and companies are letting people who test positive for COVID-19 return to work, even though that could accelerate the spread of the virus.
- Experts Weigh Risk of New COVID Mutations from China VOA 29 Dec 2022 -- The explosion of COVID infections in China since it relaxed its prevention and control measures has experts weighing the risks of new mutations that could prove to be more contagious or deadly that the currently dominant omicron strain.
- Hong Kong Expecting Influx of Tourists From Mainland China VOA 29 Dec 2022 -- As mainland China prepares to lift COVID-19 travel restrictions starting Jan. 8, Hong Kong, one of the most popular destinations for Chinese tourists, is eagerly awaiting and apprehensively bracing for an influx of visitors.
- China upholds truth, openness in disclosing information on COVID-19 deaths: NHC officials Global Times 29 Dec 2022 -- In response to rumors that China's COVID-19 death toll is understated, experts and officials from China's health authorities said that China has insisted on the principle of truth and openness in disclosing information on deaths and severe cases for COVID-19 and will uphold the principle. They also said that its current standards for identifying COVID-19 fatality are scientific and in line with international norms.
- HKSAR to keep requesting Japan to drop flight restrictions Global Times 29 Dec 2022 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government on Thursday said it will continue to request the Japanese authorities to rescind all discriminatory restrictions on passenger flights departing from Hong Kong, after Japan required passenger flights from the city to land at only four designated Japanese airports starting on Friday.
- Virologists and CDC departments deny reemergence of COVID-19 original strain and Delta variant in China Global Times 29 Dec 2022 -- Virologists and disease prevention and control departments denied reemergence of COVID-19 original variants and Delta in China, after concerns that the "old" variants have caused an increase in COVID infections and some of the most severe cases showed white lungs in their CT scan results.
- China to adjust nucleic acid testing requirements for int'l arrivals People's Daily 29 Dec 2022 -- China's customs authorities on Wednesday announced that nucleic acid testing requirements for all international travelers will be adjusted on Jan. 8.
- Hong Kong to lift social distancing measures, nucleic acid testing upon arrival People's Daily 29 Dec 2022 -- John Lee, chief executive of China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), announced on Wednesday that all social distancing measures will be lifted from Thursday.
- China optimizes COVID-19 response in light of evolving situation People's Daily 29 Dec 2022 -- China has renamed the Chinese term for COVID-19 from "novel coronavirus pneumonia" to "novel coronavirus infection," and will downgrade management of the disease from Class A to Class B starting from January 8, 2023, according to a statement released by the country's National Health Commission (NHC) on Dec. 26.
- Hong Kong's Gloomy Year Featured COVID Lockdowns, Jailings VOA 29 Dec 2022 -- Hong Kong has faced another year of gloom as the city struggles to overcome its pandemic and political woes.
- China's outbound tourism expects revival after COVID response shift People's Daily 29 Dec 2022 -- China's outbound tourism sector is expected to regain its vitality, with the country's newly adjusted COVID-19 response lifting restrictions on Chinese citizens' overseas trips and promoting cross-border personnel exchanges.
- Ensuring smooth, orderly transition to Class-B management of COVID-19 People's Daily 29 Dec 2022 -- China's announcement earlier this week to downgrade its management of the infectious disease of COVID-19 from Class A to Class B, starting from Jan. 8, 2023, is a major shift of its COVID-19 response policy.
- China to ease restrictions on int'l flights from Jan. 8 People's Daily 29 Dec 2022 -- China will remove certain COVID-19 restrictions on international passenger flights from Jan. 8, 2023, to prudently resume the operation of the flights, the Civil Aviation Administration of China said on Wednesday.
- COVID-19 responses attest to China's strength, resilience People's Daily 29 Dec 2022 -- With the New Year approaching, shopping centers and cinemas in Beijing are welcoming a steady increase in shopper foot traffic.
- India Gears its Health System Up Amid COVID Surge in China VOA 29 Dec 2022 -- India has stepped up surveillance and is preparing its health system for a possible surge in cases of COVID-19 following a spike in infections in China.
- Union Health Minister Dr Mansukh Mandaviya review status of essential medicines and drugs with Pharma Companies in view of spike in COVID19 cases in some countries India PIB 29 Dec 2022 -- Union Minister of Health & Family Welfare and Chemicals & Fertilizers, Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya reviewed the status, adequacy of COVID management drugs and production capacities with representatives of pharma companies through a VC, here today, so that India is equipped to effectively handle any situation.
- COVID19 Update India PIB 29 Dec 2022 -- International passengers travelling from China, Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea, Singapore and Thailand to India will be mandatorily required to undergo RTPCR tests before their departure from these countries/destinations and upload the COVID negative RTPCR test report on Air Suvidha portal from 1st January 2023. The test should have been conducted within 72 hours of undertaking the journey to India.
- COVID-19 UPDATE India PIB 29 Dec 2022
- COVID-19 kills 5 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 29 Dec 2022 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran increased to 144,682 with 5 more Iranians killed by the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Thursday.
- Japan logs record 415 daily COVID-19 deaths People's Daily 29 Dec 2022 -- Japan on Wednesday posted a record 415 COVID-19-related deaths as the country faced the eighth wave of infections during the holiday season.
- Taiwan reports 27,955 new COVID-19 cases, 36 deaths CNA 29 Dec 2022 -- Taiwan on Thursday reported 27,955 new COVID-19 infections and 36 deaths from the disease, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- China's dominant COVID variant BF.7 not a threat to Taiwan: CECC CNA 29 Dec 2022 -- BF.7, the Omicron subvariant driving the current COVID-19 surge in China, is unlikely to cause a large-scale rise in cases in Taiwan, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Thursday.
- North Korea Temporarily Banning Travelers From China VOA 29 Dec 2022 -- Amid mounting international anxiety over the wave of COVID-19 cases sweeping China, North Korea has introduced a total ban on visitors from its close ally and neighbor.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|