17 August 2022 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
Other Security News
- Pence Says He Would Consider Testifying in Capitol Riot Probe VOA 17 Aug 2022 -- Former U.S. Vice President Mike Pence said Wednesday he would give "due consideration" to testifying before the congressional panel investigating the January 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol last year where some protesters demanded that Pence be hanged for refusing then-President Donald Trump's demand that he upend their re-election loss.
- Former Trump Lawyer Giuliani Testifies in Georgia VOA 17 Aug 2022 -- Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani testified on Wednesday before a special grand jury in Atlanta, Georgia, investigating former President Donald Trump's efforts to overturn the outcome of the 2020 presidential election in the state.
- Man Charged with Making Threat to Arizona Election Official US Dept. of Justice 17 Aug 2022 -- A Missouri man was indicted yesterday for allegedly leaving a voicemail containing a threat on the personal cell phone of an election official in the Maricopa County Recorder's Office in Maricopa County, Arizona.
- Alleged Russian Money Launderer Extradited from the Netherlands to U.S. US Dept. of Justice 17 Aug 2022 -- An alleged cryptocurrency money launderer was extradited this week from the Netherlands to the United States to face charges in the District of Oregon.
- Batch of monkeypox vaccines arrives in Finland Finnish Government 17 Aug 2022 -- Finland has received a donation of monkeypox vaccines from the EU Commission. The vaccines will be distributed to the hospital districts, which are responsible for administering the vaccines.
- Monkeypox cases top 35,000: WHO UN News 17 Aug 2022 -- Monkeypox infections continue to rise globally, with more than 35,000 cases across 92 countries and territories, and 12 deaths, the head of the World Health Organization (WHO) reported on Wednesday.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Weekly epidemiological update on COVID-19 - 17 Aug 2022
- China enforces lockdowns as COVID cases spiral in Xinjiang and Tibet Radio Free Asia 17 Aug 2022 -- A sharp increase in the number of coronavirus cases in Xinjiang led China's government to send a delegation throughout the far-western region to implement controversial zero-COVID policies, further isolating residents there.
- Chinese mainland reports 566 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 17 Aug 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Tuesday reported 566 locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, of which 482 were in Hainan Province, the National Health Commission said Wednesday.
- Nearly 20% of children suffer from long COVID after infection, says HK pediatrician, highlighting vaccination urgency Global Times 17 Aug 2022 -- A pediatrician from the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region claimed that nearly 20 percent of the children who he treated experienced long COVID following their infections, with some reporting worsened memory and cognitive functions, and also the transient loss of sight. These new discoveries could provide some hints for the study of post-COVID syndrome among children, health experts said.
- New COVID Cases In Russia Hit Five-Month High RFE/RL 17 Aug 2022 -- Russia registered more than 33,000 new cases of COVID-19 on August 17, a five-month high.
- India's Cumulative COVID-19 Vaccination Coverage exceeds 208.57 Cr India PIB 17 Aug 2022 -- India's COVID-19 vaccination coverage has exceeded 208.57 Cr (2,08,57,15,251) as per provisional reports till 7 am today. This has been achieved through 2,77,24,081 sessions.
- Update on COVID-19 Vaccine Availability in States/UTs India PIB 17 Aug 2022 -- The Union Government is committed to accelerating the pace and expanding the scope of COVID-19 vaccination throughout the country. The nationwide COVID 19 vaccination started on 16th January 2021. The new phase of universalization of COVID-19 vaccination commenced from 21st June 2021. The vaccination drive has been ramped up through availability of more vaccines, advance visibility of vaccine availability to States and UTs for enabling better planning by them, and streamlining the vaccine supply chain.
- COVID-19 UPDATE India PIB 17 Aug 2022
- COVID-19 kills 67 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 17 Aug 2022 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran increased to 143,160 with 67 more Iranians killed by the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Wednesday.
- Sentences Of Iranian Activists Seeking To Sue Government Over COVID Response Confirmed RFE/RL 17 Aug 2022 -- An appeals court in Tehran has confirmed the prison sentences of three outspoken campaigners who wanted to sue government officials for allegedly mismanaging the coronavirus crisis and hampering the rollout of COVID-19 vaccines.
- Taiwan reports 24,873 new COVID-19 cases, 33 deaths CNA 17 Aug 2022 -- Taiwan on Wednesday reported 24,873 new cases of COVID-19, all but 204 of which were domestic infections, and 33 deaths from the disease, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Anti-epidemic Barrier Maintained in Kaesong City of DPRK KCNA 17 Aug 2022 -- True to the tasks set forth at the National Meeting of Reviewing the Emergency Anti-epidemic Work, Kaesong City in the DPRK is carrying out the epidemic prevention work more intensively while maintaining its tight anti-epidemic barrier.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|