09 February 2022 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
Other Security News
- Statement by the Global Coalition on Countering Daesh/ISIS Globally US Dept. of State 09 Feb 2022 -- The Global Coalition to Defeat Daesh/ISIS remains resolutely committed to achieving the enduring defeat of ISIS. Recent events in Syria underscore both the success we continue to have in degrading Daesh/ISIS leadership and the continuing threat the terrorist group poses in the region and beyond.
- Battle against Da'esh, a 'long-term game', Voronkov tells Security Council UN News 09 Feb 2022 -- The global fight against the shadowy, ever-morphing threat posed by the ISIL terrorist group - known officially as Da'esh - and its affiliates, remains a "long-term game" for which there are "no quick fixes," the UN counter-terrorism chief told the Security Council on Wednesday.
- Islamic State Could be Headed for Generational Change VOA 09 Feb 2022 -- Intelligence agencies and private analysts say there is little doubt Islamic State senior leaders already have a good idea of who will be next to lead the terror group as it seeks to reestablish a physical caliphate and strike at the West.
- Islamic State Out to Prove It's More Than Its Leader VOA 09 Feb 2022 -- The Islamic State is so far showing few signs of faltering, just days after U.S. special operation forces dropped into northwest Syria and surrounded the terror group's leader, who they say then blew himself up without a fight.
- Continuing our efforts to combat global terrorist threats UK FCDO 09 Feb 2022 -- Statement by Ambassador James Roscoe at the Security Council Meeting on threats to international peace and security caused by terrorist acts
- One in five US white supremacist group applicants claim military ties Press TV 09 Feb 2022 -- In a startling revelation, one out of five applicants to a white supremacist and neo-fascist hate group in the US, Patriot Front, have held current or former military positions, according to leaked documents.
- CISA, FBI, NSA and International Partners Issue Advisory on Ransomware Trends from 2021 CISA 09 Feb 2022 -- The Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA), along with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), National Security Agency (NSA), Australian Cyber Security Centre (ACSC), and the United Kingdom's National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC-UK) issued a joint Cybersecurity Advisory outlining the growing international threat posed by ransomware over the past year.
- China Suspected of Cyberattacks Targeting US Organizations VOA 09 Feb 2022 -- Media giant News Corp is investigating a cyberattack that has accessed the email and documents of some of its employees and journalists.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- World leaders call for $23 billion to end pandemic this year UN News 09 Feb 2022 -- The COVID-19 pandemic could be defeated this year but only if vaccines, tests and treatments are made available to all people, UN Secretary-General AntÃ³nio Guterres said on Wednesday.
- WHO Expert Says New Omicron Subvariant Likely to Become Common VOA 09 Feb 2022 -- One of the World Health Organization's top COVID-19 experts says she expects an even more contagious omicron subvariant to become increasingly common around the world.
- Global COVID-19 cases surpass 400 mln: Johns Hopkins University People's Daily 09 Feb 2022 -- Global COVID-19 cases surpassed 400 million on Tuesday, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.
- Press Briefing by White House COVID-â 19 Response Team and Public Health Officials The White House 09 Feb 2022
- CDC on Lifting COVID-19 Indoor Mask Rules: 'We Aren't There Yet' VOA 09 Feb 2022 -- The director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Wednesday that even though she was encouraged by dropping COVID-19 hospitalizations and case rates, the pandemic was still not at the point at which the agency could recommend dropping nationwide indoor mask requirements.
- USA Records 353,406 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 09 Feb 2022 -- The United States of America recorded, in the past 24 hours, 353,406 new infections of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), and 3,176 deaths as well.
- Hong Kong to ban public gatherings, mandate vaccine passes for stores, eateries Radio Free Asia 09 Feb 2022 -- Authorities in Hong Kong on Wednesday announced a ban on public gatherings of more than two people, with the "LeaveHomeSafe" tracker app required to get into supermarkets, public markets, hair salons and places of worship, prompting long lines to form on the streets as people rushed to get a haircut before the restrictions took effect.
- No sign of virus transmission in the closed loop; attendance of Beijing 2022 to be increased based on demand: organizing committee Global Times 09 Feb 2022 -- The Beijing Organising Committee for the 2022 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games announced during a press conference on Tuesday that the overall situation of epidemic prevention and control in the closed loop is in good status and the next step will be to increase attendance according to demand.
- "Zero COVID-19" strategy best for Hong Kong's current situation: Carrie Lam People's Daily 09 Feb 2022 -- Carrie Lam, chief executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), said on Tuesday that "zero COVID-19" is the best strategy for Hong Kong's current anti-epidemic situation.
- Russia's Daily COVID-19 Infection Rate Hits Record Again RFE/RL 09 Feb 2022 -- Russian health authorities have reported 183,103 new coronavirus infections, hitting a new daily record as the highly contagious omicron variant continues to spread.
- India's Cumulative COVID-19 Vaccination Coverage exceeds 170.87 Cr India PIB 09 Feb 2022 -- With the administration of more than 53
- Update on COVID-19 Vaccine Availability in States/UTs India PIB 09 Feb 2022 -- The Union Government is committed to accelerating the pace and expanding the scope of COVID-19 vaccination throughout the country
- COVID-19 UPDATE India PIB 09 Feb 2022
- COVID-19 kills 116 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 09 Feb 2022 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran increased to 133,164 with 116 more Iranians killed by the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Wednesday.
- Saudi Arabia Reports 3,162 New COVID-19 Cases, 4,088 Recoveries SPA 09 Feb 2022 -- The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia announced today the registration of 3,162 new COVID-19 cases and 4,088 recoveries in the past 24 hours.
- Taiwan reports 54 new COVID-19 cases, including 10 domestic CNA 09 Feb 2022 -- Taiwan on Wednesday recorded 54 new COVID-19 cases, consisting of 10 domestically transmitted cases and 44 that originated abroad, with no new deaths from the disease, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Four COVID-19 infections of unknown origin reported in Kaohsiung CNA 09 Feb 2022 -- Taiwan on Wednesday recorded 10 new domestic COVID-19 cases, with four of them linked to a family cluster in Kaohsiung, and the source of that cluster has not yet been determined, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Vietnamese military receives 2nd batch of Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccines from PLA PLA Daily 09 Feb 2022 -- The Vietnamese Ministry of National Defense has received the second batch of Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccine presented by the People's Liberation Army (PLA) of China.
- China's defense ministry provides medical supplies to Indonesian counterpart PLA Daily 09 Feb 2022 -- To implement Chinese President Xi Jinping's vision of building a community of common health for mankind and promote the international cooperation against the epidemic, as approved by China's Central Military Commission, a batch of COVID-19 prevention and control supplies assisted by the Chinese Ministry of National Defense to Indonesia's Defense Ministry was delivered to the Indonesian side on February 9, 2022.
- Sudan Records 47 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 09 Feb 2022 -- Sudan recorded, in the past 24 hours, 47 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) and 10 deaths as well.
- Jordan Records 21,977 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 09 Feb 2022 -- The Jordanian Ministry of Health recorded, 21,977 new infections with the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), in the past 24 hours, bringing the infection tally to 1,396,430.
- UAE Announces 1,538 New COVID-19 Cases, 4 Deaths in Last 24 Hours SPA 09 Feb 2022 -- The UAE Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP), in a statement, announced 1,538 new coronavirus cases, bringing the total number of recorded cases to 862,514, Emirates News Agency (WAM) reported.
- Egypt Records 2,194 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 09 Feb 2022 -- Egypt recorded 2,194 new infections with the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), and 60 deaths in the past 24 hours.
- Mexico Posts 132 More COVID-19 Fatalities; Death Toll Reaches 309,884 SPA 09 Feb 2022 -- Mexico's health ministry reported on Tuesday 132 more deaths from COVID-19, bringing the total number of fatalities in the country since the pandemic began to 309,884, Reuters reported.
- Senegal Facility Set to Begin COVID-19 Vaccine Production VOA 09 Feb 2022 -- The COVID-19 pandemic has exposed stark vaccine inequities among high- and low-income nations and has underscored Africa's dependence on outside countries for shots. A new initiative in Senegal, however, hopes to reduce that inequity and make the continent more vaccine self-sufficient.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|