17 January 2022 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- U.S. sees highest rate of children COVID-19 hospitalizations People's Daily 17 Jan 2022 -- U.S. pediatric hospitalizations related to COVID-19 are at the highest level since the start of the pandemic, according to the latest data of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- New York moving over Omicron peak as cases fall People's Daily 17 Jan 2022 -- COVID-19's current crisis appears to be mirroring the projections made by officials and health experts that cases in New York are beginning to dip as sharply as they rose around Christmas, local media reported Sunday.
- China enters Chunyun time cautiously amid nationwide COVID-19 flare-ups Global Times 17 Jan 2022 -- China's 40-day Chunyun or Spring Festival travel rush, the world's largest human migration, kicked off on Monday with cautious measures amid domestic COVID-19 flare-ups in at least 10 provinces and regions.
- Chinese mainland reports 163 locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 17 Jan 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Sunday reported 163 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Monday.
- China steps up COVID-19 control to ensure safe holiday People's Daily 17 Jan 2022 -- Chinese authorities have stepped up COVID-19 prevention and control measures in the face of the twin challenges of imported outbreaks of the Delta and Omicron strains, to ensure a safe Spring Festival holiday.
- Over 2.93 bln COVID-19 vaccine doses administered on Chinese mainland People's Daily 17 Jan 2022 -- Over 2.93 billion COVID-19 vaccine doses had been administered on the Chinese mainland as of Saturday, data from the National Health Commission showed Sunday.
- China scrambles to contain omicron outbreaks in major cities Radio Free Asia 17 Jan 2022 -- Authorities in Beijing, Shanghai and Guangdong are scrambling to contain outbreaks of the omicron variant of COVID-19 ahead of the 2022 Winter Olympics, which open in Beijing on Feb. 4.
- China Records 223 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 17 Jan 2022 -- China reported 223 new coronavirus (COVID-19) cases.
- Shenzhen reports 1 Omicron case, unrelated to previous transmission chains Global Times 17 Jan 2022 -- Shenzhen, in South China's Guangdong Province, reported two new cases of COVID-19 on Sunday, including one infection with the Omicron variant which is not linked to previous transmission chains in the city.
- Shanghai reports 3 local asymptomatic COVID-19 cases People's Daily 17 Jan 2022 -- East China's Shanghai registered three locally transmitted asymptomatic COVID-19 infections on Saturday, the municipal health commission said Sunday.
- China's Tianjin reports 33 new local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 17 Jan 2022 -- North China's Tianjin Municipality reported 33 locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases Saturday, the city's health authority said at a press conference Sunday.
- China's Xi'an city reports new local COVID-19 case People's Daily 17 Jan 2022 -- Xi'an, capital of northwest China's Shaanxi Province, reported one new locally-transmitted COVID-19 case on Saturday, local authorities said Sunday.
- Hong Kong reports 11 new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 17 Jan 2022 -- Hong Kong on Sunday reported 11 new cases of COVID-19 over the past 24 hours, taking the total tally of cases tested positive to 13,041, according to data from the Center for Health Protection (CHP).
- Strategy remains effective amid outbreaks People's Daily 17 Jan 2022 -- Health officials believe China's dynamic zero-COVID-19 strategy remains effective in controlling coronavirus outbreaks, as Omicron infections surfaced in major cities including Beijing and Shanghai over the weekend.
- Bulgaria Adds Anti-COVID Restrictions For Travelers From North Macedonia, Serbia RFE/RL 17 Jan 2022 -- Bulgaria will start requiring travelers from nearby North Macedonia, Serbia, Turkey, and Israel to provide negative PCR coronavirus tests on top of valid COVID-19 certificates before entering the country beginning on January 20.
- Germany Records 34,145 COVID-19 Cases SPA 17 Jan 2022 -- Germany recorded 34,145 new novel coronavirus (COVID-19) cases during the past 24 hours, pushing the total number of cases to 8,000,122.
- India's Cumulative COVID-19 Vaccination Coverage exceeds 157.20 Cr India PIB 17 Jan 2022 -- With the administration of more than 39 lakh Doses (39,46,348) vaccine doses in the last 24 hours, India's COVID-19 vaccination coverage has exceeded 157
- COVID - 19 Vaccination Update - Day 367 India PIB 17 Jan 2022 -- India's COVID-19 vaccination coverage has crossed 157
- Update on COVID-19 Vaccine Availability in States/UTs India PIB 17 Jan 2022 -- The Union Government is committed to accelerating the pace and expanding the scope of COVID-19 vaccination throughout the country
- COVID-19 UPDATE India PIB 17 Jan 2022
- COVID-19 kills 20 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 17 Jan 2022 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran increased to 132,095 with 20 more Iranians killed by the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Monday.
- S.Korea Records 3,859 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 17 Jan 2022 -- South Korea recorded 3,859 new cases of COVID-19 in the past 24 hours.
- Japan Reportedly Considers COVID-19 Quasi-Emergency for Tokyo, 10 Other Prefectures Sputnik 17 Jan 2022 -- The Japanese government is considering the request of 11 prefectures, including Tokyo, to place them under tougher COVID-19 restrictions as Omicron cases continue to grow, the Kyodo news agency reported on Monday, citing sources.
- Ministry of Health Reports 5,505 New COVID-19 Cases, 4,349 Recoveries in Saudi Arabia SPA 17 Jan 2022 -- The Ministry of Health (MoH) announced the registration of 5,505 confirmed COVID-19 cases and 4,349 recoveries in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia during the past 24 hours.
- 14 new COVID-19 cases in Taoyuan outbreak confirmed CNA 17 Jan 2022 -- Taiwan on Monday confirmed 17 new domestic cases of COVID-19, all but three of which were linked to a wider outbreak of the disease in Taoyuan, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Taiwan reports 65 new COVID-19 cases, including 17 domestic CNA 17 Jan 2022 -- Taiwan confirmed 65 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday, consisting of 17 domestic cases and 48 imported cases, and no deaths from the disease, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Lockdown Imposed Again In 'Coronavirus-Free' Turkmenistan RFE/RL 17 Jan 2022 -- Authorities in Turkmenistan have introduced a lockdown without any official announcement, continuing to deny a single coronavirus case has been registered in the country.
- Kuwait Records 5,147 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 17 Jan 2022 -- The Kuwaiti Ministry of Health announced the registration of 5,147 new infections with the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of cases to 470,478.
- Jordan Records 5,039 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 17 Jan 2022 -- Jordan recorded, in the past 24 hours, 5,039 new cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), bringing the total number of infections to 1,106,006.
- Sudan Records 447 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 17 Jan 2022 -- Sudan recorded 447 new cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and 5 deaths in the past 24 hours.
- UAE Announces 2,989 New COVID-19 Cases, 4 Deaths in Last 24 Hours SPA 17 Jan 2022 -- The Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) announced that it conducted 346,101 additional COVID-19 tests over the past 24 hours, using state-of-the-art medical testing equipment, according to WAM News Agency.
- Mexico Records 76 COVID-19 Deaths SPA 17 Jan 2022 -- Mexico's Health Ministry has reported 19,132 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 76 deaths, bringing the overall number of infections since the pandemic began to 4,368,314 and the death toll to 301,410.
- Israeli Hospital: 4th Vaccination Does Not Prevent Spread of Omicron VOA 17 Jan 2022 -- Preliminary findings suggest that a fourth dose of COVID-19 vaccine does little to stave off infection from the omicron variant, researchers at an Israeli hospital said.
- New Zealand Begins Vaccinating 5-to-11-Year-Olds VOA 17 Jan 2022 -- New Zealand began inoculating 5- to11-year-old children Monday with Pfizer's pediatric COVID vaccine. More than 120,000 vaccines have been delivered to 500 vaccination centers around the country, the health ministry said.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|