16 January 2022 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- UN-backed COVAX mechanism delivers its 1 billionth COVID-19 vaccine dose UN News 16 Jan 2022 -- With a 1.1 million jab delivery in Rwanda this weekend, the World Health Organization's multilateral initiative to provide equal access to vaccines for all reached the one billion milestone.
- COVAX Delivers Billionth Vaccine VOA 16 Jan 2022 -- The Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center said early Sunday 326.2 million people around the world have been infected with the coronavirus, while 5.5 million deaths have been recorded. More than 9 billion vaccines have been administered, the center reported.
- US Surgeon General: 'Tough Few Weeks' Ahead Combating Omicron VOA 16 Jan 2022 -- U.S. Surgeon General Vivek Murthy Sunday said, "It's going to be a tough few weeks" for the United States in confronting the omicron variant of the coronavirus.
- Beijing races against virus to cut off transmission after first local Omicron case reported Global Times 16 Jan 2022 -- Beijing, China's capital city, has beefed up COVID-19 prevention measures after the more contagious variant of the virus, Omicron, has appeared in the city, which is preparing to host the Winter Olympics in just three weeks.
- Beijing requires nucleic acid test within 72 hours of entry Global Times 16 Jan 2022 -- Beijing will require nucleic acid tests within 72 hours of entry into the city, in a move to step up COVID-19 prevention after the city reported its first local Omicron case on Saturday.
- COVID-19 hot spots in Beijing ruled out as environment testing results relating to Omicron-infected case negative Global Times 16 Jan 2022 -- Beijing has ruled out the risk of COVID-19 hot spots in connection with the patient infected with the Omicron variant as test results on all related risky places came back negative, health authorities in the city's Haidian district said Sunday.
- Virulence of Omicron should not be overlooked as China faces imported cases: Zhang Wenhong Global Times 16 Jan 2022 -- The Omicron variant brings fewer serious illnesses but its virulence should not be overlooked, warned Zhang Wenhong, a renowned Chinese infectious disease expert in Shanghai as China registered Omicron infections in at least six cities, including Beijing and Shanghai.
- Beijing reports one new locally-transmitted COVID-19 case People's Daily 16 Jan 2022 -- Beijing reported one new locally-transmitted COVID-19 case Saturday, local health authority said.
- COVID-19 situation in China stable, controllable: official People's Daily 16 Jan 2022 -- The recent COVID-19 resurgence in China has been in general stabilized, as the country managed to bring the outbreaks in some areas under control in a timely manner, the National Health Commission said Saturday.
- Nearly 2.93 bln COVID-19 vaccine doses administered on Chinese mainland People's Daily 16 Jan 2022 -- Nearly 2.93 billion COVID-19 vaccine doses had been administered on the Chinese mainland as of Friday, data from the National Health Commission showed Saturday.
- 90 pct of Chinese people vaccinated against COVID-19 People's Daily 16 Jan 2022 -- Over 1.26 billion Chinese people, or nearly 90 percent of the country's population, have received COVID-19 vaccine jabs as of Friday, said a health official on Saturday.
- Chinese mainland reports 65 locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 Jan 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Saturday reported 65 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Sunday.
- Hong Kong reports 5 new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 Jan 2022 -- Hong Kong on Saturday reported five new cases of COVID-19 over the past 24 hours, taking the total tally of cases tested positive to 13,030, according to data from the Center for Health Protection (CHP).
- Shanghai reports 3 local asymptomatic COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 Jan 2022 -- East China's Shanghai registered three locally transmitted asymptomatic COVID-19 infections on Saturday, the municipal health commission said Sunday.
- China's Terracotta Warriors city reports single-digit COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 Jan 2022 -- Xi'an, capital of northwest China's Shaanxi Province, reported four new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases on Friday, local authorities said Saturday.
- China's Zhuhai reports 1 new locally transmitted COVID-19 case People's Daily 16 Jan 2022 -- The southern Chinese city of Zhuhai, Guangdong Province, reported one new locally transmitted COVID-19 case on Saturday, local authorities announced.
- China Records 119 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 16 Jan 2022 -- China reported 119 new coronavirus (COVID-19) cases.
- Russia Confirms 29,230 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 16 Jan 2022 -- Russia has confirmed 29,230 new cases of COVID-19 in the past 24 hours, which brings the cumulative total to 10,803,534.
- India's Cumulative COVID-19 Vaccination Coverage exceeds 156.76 Cr India PIB 16 Jan 2022 -- With the administration of more than 66 lakh Doses (66,21,395) vaccine doses in the last 24 hours, India's COVID-19 vaccination coverage has exceeded 156
- Update on COVID-19 Vaccine Availability in States/UTs India PIB 16 Jan 2022 -- The Union Government is committed to accelerating the pace and expanding the scope of COVID-19 vaccination throughout the country
- COVID-19 UPDATE India PIB 16 Jan 2022
- India logs 271,202 new COVID-19 cases, total surpasses 37 mln People's Daily 16 Jan 2022 -- India's COVID-19 tally rose to 37,122,164 on Sunday, as 271,202 new cases were registered during the past 24 hours across the country, showed the federal health ministry's latest data.
- COVID-19 kills 31 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 16 Jan 2022 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran increased to 132,075 with 31 more Iranians killed by the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Sunday.
- S.Korea Records 3,097 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 16 Jan 2022 -- South Korea recorded 4,813 new cases of COVID-19 in the past 24 hours.
- Ministry of Health Starts Second Phase of Coronavirus Vaccination for Children Aged 5-11 SPA 16 Jan 2022 -- The Ministry of Health (MoH) has provided the first dose of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) for children aged 5-11, adding that booking a COVID-19 vaccine appointment is through Tawakkalna and Sehaty apps.
- Ministry of Health Reports 5,477 New COVID-19 Cases, 3,405 Recoveries in Saudi Arabia SPA 16 Jan 2022 -- The Ministry of Health (MoH) announced the registration of 5,477 confirmed COVID-19 cases and 3,405 recoveries in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia during the past 24 hours.
- Taiwan sees 10 new domestic cases, including 1 disease control staff CNA 16 Jan 2022 -- Taiwan's Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Sunday reported 10 new domestic COVID-19 cases, including one person working in disease control at Taoyuan International Airport.
- Taiwan reports 51 new COVID-19 cases, including 10 domestic infections CNA 16 Jan 2022 -- Taiwan on Sunday reported 10 new domestic cases of COVID-19, as well as 41 imported cases, and no new deaths from the disease, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Taiwan reports 78 new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 Jan 2022 -- Taiwan reported six new locally-transmitted cases of COVID-19 and 72 imported cases on Saturday, the island's disease monitoring agency said.
- Palestine Records 642 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 16 Jan 2022 -- Palestine recorded 642 new cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), three new deaths and 230 recoveries in all Palestinian governorates, in the past 24 hours.
- Jordan Records 3,493 New Cases of Coronavirus SPA 16 Jan 2022 -- Jordan announced the registration of 3,493 new infections of the novel coronavirus in the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of infections to 1,100,967.
- UAE Announces 3,067 New COVID-19 Cases, 3 deaths in Last 24 Hours SPA 16 Jan 2022 -- The Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) announced that it conducted 385,950 additional COVID-19 tests over the past 24 hours, using state-of-the-art medical testing equipment, according to WAM News Agency.
- Mexico Records 227 COVID-19 Deaths SPA 16 Jan 2022 -- Mexico recorded 227 coronavirus deaths, according to health ministry data, bringing the overall death toll to 301,334, Reuters reported.
- Mauritania Records 750 New Infections of Coronavirus SPA 16 Jan 2022 -- The Mauritanian Ministry of Health announced the registration of 750 new infections of the novel coronavirus, along with 3 deaths in the past 24 hours.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|