31 December 2021 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Omicron Variant Surges Around the World VOA 31 Dec 2021 -- New Year's Eve fireworks went off as planned in Sydney, Australia, Friday even though parts of the country are experiencing record numbers of the highly contagious omicron variant of the coronavirus.
- U.S. reports record child COVID-19 hospitalizations People's Daily 31 Dec 2021 -- The number of children hospitalized with COVID-19 in the United States has hit record high due to the Omicron-fueled surge.
- Omicron sending children to hospital in record numbers in US Press TV 31 Dec 2021 -- The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) latest data shows that the highly transmissible omicron variant of COVID-19 is sending children to the hospital in record numbers.
- US Healthcare System Overloaded With Almost 80% of ICU Beds Occupied Sputnik 31 Dec 2021 -- The United States' healthcare system is experiencing an unprecedented overload amid the spread of the Omicron COVID-19 variant, with 78% of beds in intensive care units (ICU) occupied all over the country, Dr James Phillips, chief of disaster medicine at George Washington University Hospital said as reported by CNN on Thursday.
- Experts warn of Omicron 'blizzard' in US in weeks ahead Press TV 31 Dec 2021 -- US health experts on Thursday urged Americans to prepare for severe disruptions in coming weeks as the country has reached a record high in COVID-19 cases.
- China's Shaanxi reports 1,301 COVID-19 cases in latest resurgence People's Daily 31 Dec 2021 -- Northwest China's Shaanxi Province reported 165 locally transmitted COVID-19 cases on Thursday, bringing the total number of local cases in the latest resurgence to 1,301.
- China orders resolute measures to contain COVID-19 resurgence in Xi'an People's Daily 31 Dec 2021 -- Chinese Vice Premier Sun Chunlan has urged more resolute and decisive measures to curb the spread of COVID-19 in Xi'an, the capital city of northwest China's Shaanxi Province, as soon as possible.
- Chinese mainland reports 166 locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 31 Dec 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Thursday reported 166 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Friday.
- Xi'an steps up anti-epidemic measures as COVID-19 cases top 1,100 People's Daily 31 Dec 2021 -- Xi'an, capital of northwest China's Shaanxi Province, reported 155 confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases on Wednesday, bringing the total number of local cases to 1,117 in the latest resurgence since Dec. 9.
- Officials call for calm as groceries hard to come by in China's Xi'an Radio Free Asia 31 Dec 2021 -- Authorities in the northern Chinese city of Xi'an have called for calm, as many in the locked-down city of 13 million took to social media complaining that they were unable to get sufficient food supplies after being ordered to stay in their homes.
- UK COVID-19 cases hit record high, health staff absence double before Christmas Press TV 31 Dec 2021 -- COVID-19 infections across the UK hit record high levels in all parts of the country just before Christmas, with an estimated 2.3 million cases, new figures show.
- Britain Records 189,846 New Cases of Covid-19 SPA 31 Dec 2021 -- Britain recorded 189,846 new infections of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), along with 203 deaths in the past 24 hours.
- Johnson Says UK in Better Position Than Last Year as COVID-19 Infections Soar Sputnik 31 Dec 2021 -- UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Friday said that the United Kingdom is in "an incomparably" better position than this time last year in terms of fighting the COVID-19 pandemic, despite the country currently seeing a record number of infections caused by the Omicron variant of the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2.
- Russia Sets Another Monthly Record For COVID-Related Deaths RFE/RL 31 Dec 2021 -- Russia recorded its highest monthly death toll from COVID-19 in November, the state statistics agency Rosstat reported on December 30.
- Russia Allows Domestic Pharmaceutical To Continue Producing U.S. Company's COVID-19 Drug RFE/RL 31 Dec 2021 -- The Russian government has extended a decree to allow a domestic pharmaceutical company to produce a generic version of a U.S. biotech company's COVID-19 drug without consent.
- India's Cumulative COVID-19 Vaccination Coverage exceeds 144.54 Cr India PIB 31 Dec 2021 -- With the administration of 66,65,290 vaccine doses in the last 24 hours, India's COVID-19 vaccination coverage has exceeded 144
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update - Day 350 India PIB 31 Dec 2021 -- India's COVID-19 vaccination coverage has crossed 145 Crore landmark milestone (145,09,24,269) today
- Update on COVID-19 Vaccine Availability in States/UTs India PIB 31 Dec 2021 -- The Union Government is committed to accelerating the pace and expanding the scope of COVID-19 vaccination throughout the country
- COVID-19 UPDATE India PIB 31 Dec 2021
- Pakistan: 70 Million Fully Vaccinated Against COVID-19 VOA 31 Dec 2021 -- Pakistan says it has administered 155 million COVID-19 vaccine doses as of Friday, fully vaccinating 70 million people, or 30% of the country's total population, since launching the inoculation drive in February.
- COVID-19 kills 34 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 31 Dec 2021 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran increased to 131,606 with 34 more Iranians killed by the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Friday.
- Ministry of Health Reports 819 New COVID-19 Cases, 239 Recoveries in Saudi Arabia SPA 31 Dec 2021 -- The Ministry of Health (MoH) announced the registration of 819 confirmed COVID-19 cases and 239 recoveries in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia during the past 24 hours.
- Taiwan ends 2021 with record number of daily imported COVID-19 cases CNA 31 Dec 2021 -- Taiwan reported 41 imported cases of COVID-19 cases on the last day of 2021, a single-day record, amid reported new outbreaks around the world, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Taiwan reports 41 imported COVID-19 cases, sets new high CNA 31 Dec 2021 -- Taiwan on Friday reported 41 new imported COVID-19 cases, the highest number of cases originating overseas recorded since the pandemic began in early 2020, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Cash-strapped Laos keen to reopen borders despite surging COVID numbers Radio Free Asia 31 Dec 2021 -- Laos is preparing to welcome foreign travel to the country in the new year, opening a major airport, land gate, and rail link in a bid to revive a national economy hard-hit by the COVID-19 pandemic, Lao sources say.
- Morocco Records 2,034 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 31 Dec 2021 -- Morocco recorded 2,034 new cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in the past 24 hours, bringing the tally to 963,092.
- Jordan Records 1,845 New Cases of Coronavirus SPA 31 Dec 2021 -- The Jordanian Ministry of Health announced the registration of 1,845 new infections of the novel coronavirus in the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of infections to 1,063,405.
- UAE Records 2,426 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 31 Dec 2021 -- The United Arab Emirates recorded 2,426 new cases of the novel coronavirus COVID-190) and two deaths in the past 24 hours.
- Tunisia Reports 1,162 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 31 Dec 2021 -- The Tunisian Ministry of Health recorded 1,162 new cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), and two deaths, in the past 24 hours.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|