13 May 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- New US Homeland Security Unit to Focus on Domestic Violent Extremism1 VOA 13 May 2021 -- U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas announced on Wednesday that his department has created a dedicated intelligence unit to focus on domestic violent extremism.
- CISA Launches a Space Systems Critical Infrastructure Working Group CISA 13 May 2021 -- The Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) today announced the formation of a Space Systems Critical Infrastructure Working Group, a mix of government and industry members that will identify and develop strategies to minimize risks to space systems that support the nation's critical infrastructure.
- Statement from CISA Acting Director Wales on Executive Order to Improve the Nation's Cybersecurity and Protect Federal Networks CISA 13 May 2021 -- Yesterday, President Biden signed an executive order to improve the nation's cybersecurity and protect federal government networks.
- Biden signs executive order to bolster US cybersecurity after critical pipeline hacking Press TV 13 May 2021 -- US President Joe Biden has signed an executive order to improve cybersecurity in the wake of a major pipeline cyberattck, which has caused severe gas shortage and panic buying on the US East Coast.
- Statement by Press Secretary Jen Psaki on Restart of Colonial Pipeline and Continued Federal Government Efforts to Mitigate Impacts The White House 13 May 2021
- Remarks by President Biden on the Colonial Pipeline Incident The White House 13 May 2021
- Remarks by President Biden on the COVID-19 Response and the Vaccination Program The White House 13 May 2021
- Colonial Pipeline Reportedly Paid $5Mln Ransom to Hackers Within Hours of Cyber Attack Sputnik 13 May 2021 -- The US' largest gasoline pipeline, supplying nearly half of the fuel for the nation's East Coast, was targeted by a ransomware attack by DarkSide hackers. Although the media rushed to accuse Russia of the attack, US President Joe Biden pointed to a lack of evidence to support the allegation.
- U.S. main fuel pipeline restarts operations after six-day shutdown People's Daily 13 May 2021 -- The operator of a main U.S. fuel pipeline that was forced to shut down for six days due to a cybersecurity attack said it initiated the restart of pipeline Wednesday afternoon.
- Homeland Security Chief Cites Progress at US-Mexico Border VOA 13 May 2021 -- The Biden administration is promising a comprehensive response to youth migration now that the immediate crisis of unaccompanied minors overwhelming U.S. Customs and Border Protection stations appears to be under control.
- UK poses real global cyber threat with offensive capabilities, smears on China 'irresponsible': FM Global Times 13 May 2021 -- China firmly opposed the UK's irresponsible and groundless smear that the Chinese government is "sponsoring" hackers to carry out cyberattacks, a spokesperson from the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Thursday, after the UK's foreign minister hyped up China's threat in global cyberspace in a speech on Wednesday.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- COVID-19 variant first identified in India found in 44 countries, resistant to antibodies: WHO People's Daily 13 May 2021 -- A COVID-19 variant first identified in India has been found in 44 countries with a possible presence in five more, and is believed to be resistant to certain antibodies, including from vaccines, the World Health Organization (WHO) said Wednesday.
- Statement from Governor Andrew M. Cuomo on New CDC Guidance on Mask Wearing and Social Distancing for Vaccinated Individuals New York State 13 May 2021
- Press Briefing by White House COVID-19 Response Team and Public Health Officials The White House 13 May 2021
- CDC Says Vaccinated People Can Go Back to Normal Life VOA 13 May 2021 -- Health officials are recommending lifting most COVID-19 restrictions for people who are fully vaccinated.
- U.S. COVID-19 vaccination paces up to 2.2 million shots per day People's Daily 13 May 2021 -- The United States is reporting an average of 2.2 million shots of COVID-19 vaccine per day over the past week, the latest federal data showed, up slightly from the most recent low reported on Saturday, when it dipped below 2 million for the first time since early March.
- CDC panel endorses use of Pfizer's COVID vaccine in kids as young as 12 People's Daily 13 May 2021 -- Advisors to U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Wednesday endorsed use of Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine in kids as young as 12.
- Sinopharm to produce 5b doses per year with foreign partners: firm executives Global Times 13 May 2021 -- China's Sinopharm is expanding the production capacity to five billion doses per year with accelerating overseas cooperation after one of its COVID-19 vaccines was included in the Emergency Using List of the World Health Organization (WHO), company executives said at a forum on Thursday in Shanghai.
- China inaugurates national administration of disease prevention and control People's Daily 13 May 2021 -- China on Thursday inaugurated a new national administration of disease prevention and control, with its five major functions including formulating policies for the prevention and control of infectious diseases.
- Sinovac vaccine cuts risk of COVID-19 symptoms in Indonesian medical workers by 94 pct: study People's Daily 13 May 2021 -- The CoronaVac vaccine developed by the Chinese biopharmaceutical company Sinovac Biotech has effectively reduced the risk of COVID-19 symptoms in medical workers by 94 percent, showed a study by the Indonesian Health Ministry.
- Global COVID-19 cases continue rising, vaccination picks up with China's vaccines showing efficacy People's Daily 13 May 2021 -- The COVID-19 pandemic continues to rage across the world with some countries bracing for fresh surges of confirmed cases. Yet vaccination worldwide has been picking up as more countries witness the Chinese vaccines showing high efficacy.
- Over 354 mln COVID-19 vaccine doses administered across China People's Daily 13 May 2021 -- More than 354.27 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines had been administered across China as of Wednesday, the National Health Commission said Thursday.
- Chinese mainland reports 9 new COVID-19 cases, all imported People's Daily 13 May 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Wednesday reported nine new COVID-19 cases, all of which were imported, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Thursday.
- Chinese military provides COVID-19 vaccines to Ethiopian military PLA Daily 13 May 2021 -- For the implementation of President Xi Jinping's important declaration on making China's COVID-19 vaccine a global public good, with the approval of the Central Military Commission and at the request of Ethiopian military, the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) has provided anti-pandemic assistance to Ethiopian Armed Forces with a batch of COVID-19 vaccines delivered to the Ethiopian side on May 13.
- China to provide Zambia Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccines People's Daily 13 May 2021 -- China has offered to provide Zambia Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccines towards the southern African nation's vaccination program, a senior government official said on Wednesday.
- How China Used Foreign Media to Reset Image During Pandemic VOA 13 May 2021 -- In the early days of the coronavirus outbreak, China sought to block news of the rapidly spreading virus, detaining those who tried to speak out. But in the months that followed, as the pandemic ravaged families and economies worldwide, Beijing sought to reset its public image through foreign media, research published Wednesday by the International Federation of Journalists (IFJ) shows.
- Europe Emerging From Dark Coronavirus Months VOA 13 May 2021 -- After dark months struggling with the coronavirus pandemic, Europe is finally hitting its stride, with vaccinations and economies picking up, countries emerging from lockdowns, and even opening their borders to foreign tourists.
- Spain Promises Ambitious Vaccine Diplomacy in Latin America VOA 13 May 2021 -- Spain has promised to donate 7.5 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines to Latin American and Caribbean countries this summer as its vaccine diplomacy contrasts with the more cautious approach taken by the United States.
- Germany lifts quarantine requirement for COVID-vaccinated travelers People's Daily 13 May 2021 -- The German government eased entry restrictions for travelers on Wednesday, allowing people who have been fully vaccinated or have recovered from the coronavirus to enter the country without any quarantine obligation.
- Russia reports over 8,300 COVID-19 cases in the past day SPA 13 May 2021 -- Russia confirmed 8,380 COVID-19 cases over the past day, bringing the total caseload to 4,913,439, the anti-coronavirus crisis center told reporters on Thursday.
- 2 Indian States Limit Vaccinations as Daily COVID Deaths Top 4,000 Again VOA 13 May 2021 -- India surpassed 4,000 deaths from COVID-19 for the second consecutive day Thursday as two of the country's states have suspended inoculations.
- Centre Promptly Clearing and Apportioning Global Aid to States/UTs for COVID Management India PIB 13 May 2021 -- Government of India is swiftly clearing and apportioning global aid to strengthen tertiary medical care across States and UTs for COVID management
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update- Day 118 India PIB 13 May 2021 -- The cumulative number of COVID-19 vaccine doses administered in the country stands at 17,91,77,029as per the 8 pm provisional report today.
4,37,192beneficiaries of the age group 18-44 years received their first dose of COVID vaccine today and cumulatively 39,14,688across 32 States/UTs since the start of Phase-3 of the vaccination drive
- Dr. Harsh Vardhan reviews Public Health Response to COVID-19 and Progress of Vaccination with 6 States/UT India PIB 13 May 2021 -- Dr
- Union Government consistently and proactively working to secure and enhance the Availability of COVID Vaccines India PIB 13 May 2021 -- There have been reports in a section of the media followed by some uninformed tweets alleging delay in licensing for Covaxin and delayed approval for technology transfer for manufacturing COVAXIN vaccine in the country
- Update on Covid Relief Aid India PIB 13 May 2021 -- Government of India has been receiving international donations and aid of COVID-19 relief medical supplies and equipment since 27 April 2021 from different countries/organisations to augment its efforts in fighting the unprecedented surge in COVID in the country
- DCGI approves Phase II/III clinical trial of COVAXIN in the age group of 2 to 18 Years India PIB 13 May 2021 -- The National Regulator of the country, the Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI), after careful examination, has accepted the recommendation of Subject Expert Committee (SEC) and accorded permission to conduct the Phase II/III clinical trial of Covaxin (COVID vaccine) in the age group 2 to 18 years, to its manufacturer Bharat Biotech Ltd on 12.05.2021.
M/s Bharat Biotech International Ltd., Hyderabad (BBIL) had proposed to carry out a Phase- II/III clinical trial of Covaxin in the age group of 2 to 18 years
- Update on Ventilators Supplied under PM CARES India PIB 13 May 2021 -- Government of India has been supporting the efforts of States and UTs for effective management of COVID patients in hospital care, under the 'Whole of Government" approach since last year
- Oxygen Expresses deliver more than 7115 MT of Medical Oxygen to the Nation India PIB 13 May 2021 -- Overcoming all hurdles and finding new solutions, Indian Railways is continuing its journey of bringing relief by delivering Liquid Medical Oxygen (LMO) to various states across the country
- India Reports More than 362,000 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 13 May 2021 -- India reported 362,727 new COVID-19 cases, along with 4,120 deaths during the past 24 hours.
- Pakistan Reports Over 3,265 New Coronavirus Cases SPA 13 May 2021 -- Pakistan reported 126 new death cases, 3,265 new Coronavirus infections, in the last 24-hour.
- COVID-19 kills 297 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 13 May 2021 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran exceeded 76,231 with 297 more Iranians who died from the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Thursday.
- Taiwan confirms 13 domestic, 12 imported new COVID-19 cases (update) CNA 13 May 2021 -- Taiwan on Thursday reported a total of 25 new COVID-19 cases, 13 of which were confirmed to be domestic infections, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Taiwan-made COVID-19 vaccine available in July: President Tsai CNA 13 May 2021 -- A locally-developed COVID-19 vaccine is expected to be available in late July, President Tsai Ing-wen (θ‘θ±ζ) said Thursday during a press event held after she presided over a national security meeting.
- Taiwan adds two more COVID-19 cases; hospital placed on high alert CNA 13 May 2021 -- Two patients at a branch of Taipei City Hospital have tested positive for COVID-19, head of the city's Department of Health Huang Shier-chieg (ι»δΈε) confirmed late Thursday.
- People in Wanhua, Luzhou COVID clusters visited stores, temples: CECC CNA 13 May 2021 -- A total of 27 patients linked to the COVID-19 clusters in Wanhua and Luzhou districts in Taipei and New Taipei, respectively, had visited several temples and stores such as Costco before they were confirmed to have contracted the disease, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Thursday.
- Cabinet introduces draft amendment to COVID-19 special act CNA 13 May 2021 -- In the wake of the escalating community spread of COVID-19 in Taiwan, the Cabinet on Thursday introduced a draft amendment that will increase a special budget to support economic relief measures designed to ease the impact of the virus on Taiwan's economy to NT$630 billion (US$22.6 billion).
- CECC issues text alerts to people in Wanhua following COVID cluster CNA 13 May 2021 -- The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Thursday issued an alert to people who have been near an area in Taipei's Wanhua District over the past month in the wake of a domestic COVID-19 cluster outbreak linked to the district's hostess teahouses.
- Gov't reveals plan to ease hospital strain if COVID situation worsens CNA 13 May 2021 -- The Ministry of Health and Welfare (MOHW) on Thursday detailed its plans for allocating medical resources if the COVID-19 situation worsens in Taiwan, saying that it has the capacity to treat more than 10,000 patients in isolation.
- Thailand Virus Infections Hit Record as Vaccine Rollout Stutters VOA 13 May 2021 -- Thailand recorded its highest number of coronavirus infections Thursday since the pandemic began after Bangkok prisons were found riddled with COVID-19, threatening an extension of a partial lockdown of the country that is hammering the economy.
- Australia to acquire 25 million doses of Moderna's coronavirus vaccine People's Daily 13 May 2021 -- The Australian government has struck a deal with Moderna for 25 million doses of its mRNA coronavirus vaccine.
- Malaysia reports highest daily COVID-19 death toll, 4,765 new cases People's Daily 13 May 2021 -- Malaysia recorded its highest single-day death toll from COVID-19 on Wednesday after the virus claimed 39 more lives, bringing the total deaths to 1,761, according to the Health Ministry.
- COVID Numbers Climb in Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos, With Some in Laos Fearing Vaccination Radio Free Asia 13 May 2021 -- Cases of COVID-19 infection continued to climb in Vietnam this week, with authorities locking down residential areas and industrial zones for disinfection, state media said on Thursday.
- 418 New Coronavirus Cases Reported, in Jordan SPA 13 May 2021 -- Jordan reported here today new 418 cases of the novel Coronavirus infections and 23 deaths, in the last 24-hour.
- UAE Announces 1,512 new COVID-19 Cases, 1,474 Recoveries, 4 Deaths in Last 24 Hours SPA 13 May 2021 -- The Ministry of Health and Prevention announced 1,512 new coronavirus cases over the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of recorded cases in the United Arab Emirates to 542,158, WAM reported.
- Palestine Records 493 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 13 May 2021 -- Palestine recorded 493 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), in the past 24 hours, 8 deaths, and 959 recoveries, in all Palestinian governorates.
- Algeria Records 199 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 13 May 2021 -- Algeria recorded, in the past 24 hours, 199 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) and 8 deaths.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|