12 April 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- Readout of Secretary Mayorkas's Participation in the annual Five Country Ministerial DHS 12 Apr 2021
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Weekly operational update on COVID-19 - 12 April 2021
- COVID 'long way from over' as cases and deaths surge - WHO UN News 12 Apr 2021 -- The COVID-19 pandemic is "a long way from over" but there are many reasons to be optimistic and it's possible the pandemic can be brought under control "within months", the head of the UN health agency said on Monday.
- Guterres calls for 'paradigm shift' to recover from COVID setbacks UN News 12 Apr 2021 -- A "paradigm shift" aligning the private sector with the global goals is needed to address the challenges of the future, including those triggered by COVID-19, the UN chief said on Monday, addressing the Financing for Development (FfD) Forum.
- WHO Reports COVID-19 Cases Rose Globally for 7th Straight Week VOA 12 Apr 2021 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) said Monday the world has now seen seven consecutive weeks of rising COVID-19 infections and four consecutive weeks of increasing numbers of deaths after starting the year with six weeks of declining numbers.
- COVID complicates efforts to shut down drug traffickers, boost development UN News 12 Apr 2021 -- The growing complexities of the world drug problem are hampering efforts to achieve sustainable development by the end of the decade: a situation which the COVID-19 pandemic has only compounded, the Executive Director of the UN Office on Drugs and Crime said on Monday.
- White House COVID-19 Response Team: More Vaccine Not the Answer to Michigan Surge VOA 12 Apr 2021 -- The White House COVID-19 Response Team said Monday more vaccines are not the answer to the surge of cases in the midwestern state of Michigan.
- COVID-19 cases in U.S. most populous state surpass 3.6 mln People's Daily 12 Apr 2021 -- The total number of COVID-19 cases in California, the most populous state in the United States, surpassed 3.6 million, showed data released by the state health authorities on Sunday.
- NYS COVID-19 hospitalizations down to 4,083, positivity rate up to 2.99 pct: governor People's Daily 12 Apr 2021 -- COVID-19 hospitalizations in New York state dropped to 4,083 on Saturday, compared with 4,241 one day earlier, tweeted Governor Andrew Cuomo on Sunday.
- COVID-19 death toll in U.S. California exceeds 60,000 People's Daily 12 Apr 2021 -- The death toll from COVID-19 in the U.S. state of California has exceeded 60,000, the San Francisco Chronicle reported on Sunday.
- Michigan Covid-19 surge sign of what's to come in US in coming weeks: Experts Press TV 12 Apr 2021 -- Notwithstanding the much-hyped vaccine rollout, fresh cases of Covid-19 and related hospitalizations are alarmingly surging in the US, primarily among the younger people.
- Press Briefing by White House COVID-19 Response Team and Public Health Officials The White House 12 Apr 2021
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Updates New Yorkers on State's Progress During COVID-19 Pandemic New York State 12 Apr 2021
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Announces New York State to Provide New Separate Allocation of 35,000 COVID-19 Vaccines for College Students New York State 12 Apr 2021
- Sinovac vaccine effective against virus variants in Brazil; efficacy rises if injection interval is more than 21 days Global Times 12 Apr 2021 -- China's Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine has 50.7 percent efficacy and has proved to be effective against the variants known as P1 and P2 that are prevalent in Brazil, latest data showed. Moreover, the Sinovac vaccine's efficacy rate can climb to 62.3 percent with an interval of more than 21 days between doses rather than 14 days.
- Chinese mainland reports two new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 12 Apr 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Sunday reported two new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases in Yunnan Province, the National Health Commission said Monday.
- China's Yunnan reports two new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 12 Apr 2021 -- Southwest China's Yunnan Province reported two confirmed COVID-19 cases on Sunday, the provincial health commission said Monday.
- UK records another 1,730 coronavirus cases, 7 deaths People's Daily 12 Apr 2021 -- Another 1,730 people in Britain have tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total number of coronavirus cases in the country to 4,369,775, according to official figures released Sunday.
- Russia records 8,702 new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 12 Apr 2021 -- Russia confirmed 8,702 new coronavirus infections over the past 24 hours, taking the nationwide tally to 4,641,390, the official monitoring and response center said Sunday.
- Near 30 Lakh doses given on Day 1 of TIKA UTSAV pushes Cumulative Coverage to 10.45 crore India PIB 12 Apr 2021 -- Today marks Day-2 of the countrywide Tika Utsav. The cumulative number of COVID19 vaccine doses administered in the country has crossed 10.45 Cr today.
- COVID19 Vaccination-Day 87 India PIB 12 Apr 2021 -- Day 2 of the countrywide Tika Utsav saw many Workplace Vacciantion Centres operational across the country in the government and private sector. On the second day of Tika Utsav, more than 37 lakh vaccine doses were administered till 8 pm today. On an average 45,000 COVID Vaccination Centres (CVCs) are functional on any given day. Today, 71,000 CVCs were operational, marking a rise of an average of 26,000 operational Vaccination Centres.
- India Overtakes Brazil to Become Second-Most Affected Country by COVID-19 SPA 12 Apr 2021 -- India has regained the second position in the global chart of confirmed COVID-19 cases as the country recorded nearly 170,000 cases in the past 24 hours, bringing the total to over 13.4 million, about eight million cases short of the United States, Sputnik News Agency reported.
- India's COVID-19 deaths surpass 170,000 mark People's Daily 12 Apr 2021 -- With 904 deaths in the past 24 hours, India's total death toll due to the COVID-19 pandemic surpassed the 170,000 mark to reach 170,179, according to the latest data released by the federal government Monday.
- Iran completing plant to scale up production for main COVID vaccine candidate Press TV 12 Apr 2021 -- A major Iranian factory being prepared to scale up manufacturing of the country's main coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccine candidate is almost there as authorities vow the plant would reach a production capacity of 12-15 million doses per month in early summer.
- COVID-19 kills 274 more people in Iran IRNA 12 Apr 2021 -- Some 274 more Iranians have died from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 64,764, Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Sunday.
- S. Korea reports 587 more COVID-19 cases, 110,146 in total People's Daily 12 Apr 2021 -- South Korea reported 587 more cases of COVID-19 as of midnight Sunday compared to 24 hours ago, raising the total number of infections to 110,146.
- Japan Begins COVID-19 Vaccination Efforts for Citizens 65 and Older VOA 12 Apr 2021 -- Japan has begun vaccinating its elderly residents against COVID-19 as Tokyo imposes a set of tougher restrictions to blunt a fourth wave of the pandemic.
- Health Ministry: 842 New Confirmed Covid-19 Cases, 706 Recoveries Reported in Saudi Arabia SPA 12 Apr 2021 -- The Ministry of Health announced, in a statement here today, that 842 new confirmed cases of the Novel Coronavirus (Covid-19) have been reported in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 399,277, including 8,485 active cases.
- Taiwan reports one new imported COVID-19 case CNA 12 Apr 2021 -- Taiwan on Monday reported one new imported case of COVID-19, bringing the total number of cases in the country to 1,058, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Iraq Records 7,953 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 12 Apr 2021 -- Iraq recorded 7,953 new cases of the Novel Coronavirus during the past 24 hours, which brought the total number of cases to 93,2899.
- Iraq receives 2nd batch of donated COVID-19 vaccines from China People's Daily 12 Apr 2021 -- Iraq on Sunday received the second batch of Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccines donated by the Chinese government to help the country combat the pandemic.
- Brazil Still Reeling from COVID With Slow Vaccination Campaign VOA 12 Apr 2021 -- Confirmed cases of COVID-19 and deaths remain high in Brazil as the country's campaign to vaccinate against the disease stumbles.
- African Experts Urge Local COVID-19 Vaccine Manufacturing VOA 12 Apr 2021 -- Africa is lagging in vaccinating its people against the COVID-19 disease, and continental heads of state and international health officials say vaccine manufacturing must come to Africa in earnest to combat both the illness and future health emergencies.
- Africa's COVID-19 cases pass 4.34 mln: Africa CDC People's Daily 12 Apr 2021 -- The number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Africa has reached 4,340,817 as of Sunday, the Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) said.
- Canada's Ontario province hits single-day record of 4,456 new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 12 Apr 2021 -- Ontario, Canada's most populous province with a population of 14 million, reported 4,456 new cases of COVID-19 on Sunday, the highest single day case count since the pandemic started last year.
- Colombia receives new batch of Sinovac vaccines against COVID-19 People's Daily 12 Apr 2021 -- A new batch of vaccines developed by Chinese pharmaceutical company Sinovac arrived at the El Dorado airport here in Colombian capital on Sunday to help keep the country's National Vaccination Plan against COVID-19 on track.
- Cameroon receives first batch of COVID-19 vaccines from China People's Daily 12 Apr 2021 -- The first batch of China's Sinopharm vaccines arrived in Cameroon Sunday evening as the country is struggling with a new surge of COVID-19 infections.
- Comoros president receives injection of Chinese COVID-19 vaccine People's Daily 12 Apr 2021 -- Comoros President Azali Assoumani received on Saturday an injection of coronavirus vaccine produced by China's Sinopharm, which marked the start of the vaccination campaign in the African nation.
- Philippines receives more Sinovac vaccines purchased from China People's Daily 12 Apr 2021 -- The Philippines on Sunday received the second batch of Sinovac Biotech's CoronaVac vaccines purchased from China.
- Jordan Records 3,565 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 12 Apr 2021 -- The Jordanian Ministry of Health recorded today 3,565 new cases of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), during the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of the confirmed cases to 669,300.
- Myanmar's Efforts to Control COVID-19 Crumble Since February Coup, Aid Groups Say VOA 12 Apr 2021 -- Aid groups say Myanmar's efforts to contain the novel coronavirus have been crumbling since a Feb. 1 coup that has plunged parts of the country into chaos, raising fears of a third wave of infections.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|