10 March 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- Defense Department Approves Continued Guard Presence on Capitol Hill DoD News 10 Mar 2021 -- Nearly 2,300 National Guard personnel will continue providing support to the U.S. Capitol Police until May 23, said Pentagon press secretary John F. Kirby in a statement from the Defense Department released Tuesday evening.
- Pentagon Approves Capitol Police Request to Extend National Guard Support for 2 Months Sputnik 10 Mar 2021 -- US Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin has approved a request to extend the presence of National Guard troops at the Capitol grounds for an additional two months, according to the Pentagon press secretary, John Kirby.
- State Department Terrorist Designations of ISIS Affiliates and Leaders in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Mozambique US Dept. of State 10 Mar 2021 -- The Department of State has designated the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria â€“ Democratic Republic of the Congo (ISIS-DRC) and the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria â€“ Mozambique (ISIS-Mozambique) as Foreign Terrorist Organizations under section 219 of the Immigration and Nationality Act, as amended.
- Kremlin calls U.S. cyberattack plans against Russia concerning Global Times 10 Mar 2021 -- A plan by the Biden administration to launch cyberattacks against Russia is a "cause for extreme concern," the Kremlin has said.
- Norway's Parliament Comes Under New Cyber Attack Sputnik 10 Mar 2021 -- In August, the Norwegian parliament was targeted by a major cyberattack that compromised e-mails of some of the employees. Oslo later accused Russia of being behind the alleged hacking. Moscow dismissed the claims as unsubstantiated.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- VOA Interview: WHO Chief Stresses Global Coordination to End Pandemic VOA 10 Mar 2021 -- The head of the World Health Organization has emphasized the need for global coordination in working to end the coronavirus pandemic. Speaking to VOA Africa's Linord Moudou via Skype, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said equitable distribution of the vaccine is key. Below is an edited transcript.
- Fauci: US Could Reach Pre-Pandemic 'Normals' by September VOA 10 Mar 2021 -- Top U.S. infectious disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci said Wednesday that current vaccination levels indicate the United States could reach pre-pandemic levels of "normal life" by late August or early September.
- US to Buy 100 Million Added Johnson & Johnson Vaccine Doses VOA 10 Mar 2021 -- The U.S. government reportedly has plans to order an additional 100 million doses of the single-shot Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine.
- Press Briefing by White House COVID-19 Response Team and Public Health Officials The White House 10 Mar 2021
- Remarks by President Biden at Event with the CEOs of Johnson & Johnson and Merck The White House 10 Mar 2021
- Young Chinese people getting vaccinated to achieve herd immunity a contribution to family and country: Zhang Wenhong Global Times 10 Mar 2021 -- Zhang Wenhong, China's leading infectious disease expert and head of the Shanghai COVID-19 medical team, on Wednesday called on young Chinese people to get vaccinated for COVID-19 to reach herd immunity for the coronavirus.
- China Reports 5 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 10 Mar 2021 -- The Chinese mainland reported 5 new COVID-19 cases during the past 24 hours.
- EU and Pfizer-BioNTech Sign Deal for 4 Million More Doses VOA 10 Mar 2021 -- The European Union announced Wednesday it has reached an agreement with pharmaceutical partners Pfizer-BioNTech for an additional 4 million doses of their COVID-19 vaccine, to be delivered by the end of this month.
- EU Fumes Over Italy's Deal to Produce Russia's Sputnik Vaccine VOA 10 Mar 2021 -- European Union officials are fuming over Italy's agreement to manufacture Russia's Sputnik V coronavirus vaccine, warning they have yet to approve the jab for use in the bloc.
- Britain's Prime Minister Denies EU Claim of Blocked COVID-19 Vaccine Exports VOA 10 Mar 2021 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Wednesday refuted claims by European Union Council President Charles Michel that Britain had imposed a ban on COVID-19 vaccine exports.
- UK rejects 'false' vaccine export ban claim by EU in latest post-Brexit row Press TV 10 Mar 2021 -- The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office has unequivocally rejected the European Union's (EU) claims that the UK had "imposed an outright ban on the export of vaccines produced on their territory".
- Nicola Sturgeon re-asserts leadership over Covid-19 crisis by announcing 'elimination' strategy Press TV 10 Mar 2021 -- Scotland's First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon, has attempted to re-assert control over the management of the coronavirus pandemic by adopting an "elimination" strategy against the virus.
- UK Commons Committee Casts Doubt on Effectiveness of Costly COVID-19 Tracing Initiative Sputnik 10 Mar 2021 -- It is not clear if the United Kingdom's coronavirus test and trace programme has been worth its funding, the Public Accounts Committee of the UK House of Commons said on Wednesday.
- UK Coronavirus Variant Could Be More Lethal, Study Reveals Sputnik 10 Mar 2021 -- A variant of the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 that was first identified in southeast England in September is not only highly contagious but also seems to be more lethal than other COVID-19 strains circulating in the UK, new research published on Wednesday has found.
- Czech President Wants Health Minister Ousted Over Wait For Russian Vaccine RFE/RL 10 Mar 2021 -- Czech President Milos Zeman has called for Health Minister Jan Blatny to be dismissed for not rushing to allow Russia's Sputnik V COVID-19 vaccine to be used in the country.
- Russia rejects claim of discrediting US COVID-19 vaccines, EU states purchasing Sputnik V Press TV 10 Mar 2021 -- Russia has brushed off a US allegation that Moscow is discrediting Western-made coronavirus vaccines, as the Russian-made vaccine Sputnik V nears approval as the first non-EU and non-US inoculation in the European Union (EU).
- Over 2.4 cr Vaccine Doses administered across the Country India PIB 10 Mar 2021 -- More than 2.43 cr (2,43,67,906) vaccine doses have been administered through 3,39,145 sessions across the States and UTs, as per the provisional report till 7 am today.
- COVID19 Vaccination-Day 54 India PIB 10 Mar 2021 -- The cumulative number of COVID19 vaccine doses administered in the country has crossed 2.52 crore today.
- Pakistan Launches Second Vaccination Phase For General Public RFE/RL Gandhara 10 Mar 2021 -- Pakistan has kicked off the second phase of its COVID-19 vaccination campaign, opening it to the general public with priority for people over 60.
- Pakistan to Close Schools in Cities amid Resurgence in Virus Cases SPA 10 Mar 2021 -- The Pakistani government announced that educational institutions in densely populated cities would close for two weeks and reimposed a series of coronavirus-related restrictions amid a surge in cases, dpa reported.
- Iran issues permit for emergency use of Sinopharm vaccine IRNA 10 Mar 2021 -- Iran has issued permit for the emergency use of the Sinopharm vaccine, Spokesman for Food and Drug Administration of Iran Kianoush Jahanpour said on Wednesday.
- COVID-19 claims 61 lives in past 24 hours in Iran: Official IRNA 10 Mar 2021 -- Some 61 more Iranians have died from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 60,928, said Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari on Wednesday.
- Iran to start manufacturing Sputnik V vaccine this month: Official Press TV 10 Mar 2021 -- A joint scheme between Iran and Russia to mass produce Russia's signature coronavirus vaccine Sputnik V is to begin in Iran this month, according to a senior official in the country's health ministry.
- Moscow, Riyadh in Talks on Russia's Sputnik V Vaccine Production in Saudi Arabia, Lavrov Confirms Sputnik 10 Mar 2021 -- Moscow and Riyadh are in talks on potential phase 3 clinical trials of Russia's Sputnik V coronavirus vaccine in Saudi Arabia and its production in the country, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said on Wednesday.
- Health Ministry: 386 New Confirmed Cases of COVID-19 Reported in Saudi Arabia SPA 10 Mar 2021 -- The Ministry of Health said in a statement today that 386 new confirmed cases of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia; thus bringing the total number to 380,958 confirmed cases, including 2,830 active cases, receiving necessary medical care. Of these, there are 528 critical cases.
- Taiwan one step away from AstraZeneca vaccine distribution: CECC CNA 10 Mar 2021 -- The AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine doses that Taiwan received last week have to pass just one more test, as required by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), before distribution can begin, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Wednesday.
- Taiwan confirms one new imported COVID-19 case from Philippines CNA 10 Mar 2021 -- Taiwan on Wednesday reported one new imported case of COVID-19 involving a migrant worker from the Philippines, bringing the number of cases in the country to 978, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- CECC announces criteria for early release from hospital quarantine CNA 10 Mar 2021 -- From Thursday, people who test positive for COVID-19 after arriving in Taiwan but are asymptomatic will be eligible for early release from hospital quarantine if they meet certain criteria, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Wednesday.
- COVID contributed to 'starvation', executions in DPR Korea, Rights Council hears UN News 10 Mar 2021 -- Disturbing reports have emerged from North Korea - officially known as the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) - that people have starved or been executed because of COVID-19 restrictions, a leading rights expert said on Wednesday.
- North Korea to Begin COVID-19 Vaccinations VOA 10 Mar 2021 -- North Korea will receive nearly two-million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine through the World Health Organization's COVAX program. Despite the country's limited resources, some medical professionals are confident that the North's doctors can successfully carry-out a vaccination campaign. But, human rights advocates say Pyongyang's yearlong border closure has caused a humanitarian disaster.
- Syrian president, 1st lady test positive for COVID-19 People's Daily 10 Mar 2021 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and his wife Asma al-Assad were tested positive for COVID-19, state news agency SANA reported on Monday.
- Canada schedules no target date for first deliveries of Johnson & Johnson's COVID-19 vaccine: PM People's Daily 10 Mar 2021 -- Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Tuesday that the country still does not have a target date for the first deliveries of Johnson & Johnson's COVID-19 vaccine because of manufacturing problems.
- Philippines' COVID-19 cases surpass 600,000, PNG endures largest surge of infections People's Daily 10 Mar 2021 -- The COVID-19 pandemic continues to spread in Asia-Pacific countries as the Philippines' total cases topped 600,000 on Tuesday while Papua New Guinea is enduring the largest surge of infections.
- UN: Asia-Pacific Nations Must Vaccinate Migrants Against COVID-19 Radio Free Asia 10 Mar 2021 -- The coronavirus pandemic has stigmatized and stranded migrants who should be vaccinated promptly and valued as essential contributors to the region's economic recovery, a senior United Nations official said Wednesday as an international conference on migration opened in Bangkok.
- UAE Announces 2,204 New COVID-19 Cases, 8 Deaths SPA 10 Mar 2021 -- â€ŹThe UAE Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) announced 2,204 new coronavirus cases, bringing the total number of recorded cases in the UAE to 417,909, Emirates News Agency (WAM) reported.
- Number of COVID-19 Cases in Lebanon Tops 400,000 SPA 10 Mar 2021 -- The number of cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Lebanon since the beginning of the pandemic has exceeded 400,000 - an increase of 3,939 in the past day, the Lebanese Ministry of Health said in a daily report, according to Sputnik News Agency.
- Morocco Approves Russia's Sputnik V Vaccine Against COVID-19 Sputnik 10 Mar 2021 -- The Kingdom of Morocco has authorised Russia's coronavirus vaccine Sputnik V, the Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF) said on Wednesday.
- Kenya Becomes 10th African Nation to Authorise Russia's Sputnik V Vaccine Sputnik 10 Mar 2021 -- Kenya became the 10th African country to authorise Russia's Sputnik V vaccine against the coronavirus, the Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF) said on Wednesday.
- Jordan, International Agencies Urge Global Vaccine Equity VOA 10 Mar 2021 -- Jordan's king has joined calls from U.N. agencies urging global vaccine equity to halt the spread of COVID-19.
- Jamaica Launches COVID-19 Vaccinations VOA 10 Mar 2021 -- Jamaica is launching its mass COVID-19 vaccinations Wednesday, with healthcare workers being the first of more than 3,280 people to get their shots.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|