19 February 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- Six Individuals Affiliated with the Oath Keepers Indicted by a Federal Grand Jury for Conspiracy to Obstruct Congress on Jan. 6, 2021 DOJ/USAG-DC 19 Feb 2021 -- This week, six additional individuals associated with an organization known as the Oath Keepers, some of whose members were among those who forcibly entered the U.S. Capitol on January 6, 2021, were arrested and charged in federal court in the District of Columbia for conspiring to obstruct the United States Congress's certification of the result of the 2020 U.S. Presidential Election, among other charges.
- US Arrests 6 More Linked to Oath Keepers in Capitol Attack VOA 19 Feb 2021 -- U.S. prosecutors announced Friday the arrest of six more people associated with the far-right Oath Keepers militia in the January 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol by supporters of former President Donald Trump.
- Congress Repeats Calls for Independent Commission to Probe US Capitol Attack VOA 19 Feb 2021 -- U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has called for a commission to investigate the January 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, the latest in a long line of independent panels appointed by lawmakers and U.S. presidents to examine moments of national crisis as well as policy issues.
- Officials, Experts Say Islamic State's Economic Spigot Not Dry Yet VOA 19 Feb 2021 -- Nearly two years after losing the last sliver of territory in eastern Syria, the Islamic State terror group seems to be generating substantial amounts of revenue that has been instrumental for funding its insurgency across Syria and Iraq.
- Readout of Secretary Mayorkas' Call with Canadian Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Blair DHS 19 Feb 2021
- DHS Statement on First Step in Process to Address Individuals in Mexico with Active MPP Cases DHS 19 Feb 2021 -- Today, DHS began the first step in a phased approach to restore safe and orderly processing at the Southwest Border.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Pfizer-BioNTech Vaccine Effective at Standard Freezer Temperatures VOA 19 Feb 2021 -- Pharmaceutical partners Pfizer and BioNTech said Friday a new study the companies conducted indicates their COVID-19 vaccine can remain effective when stored in standard freezers for up to two weeks.
- Rich Countries to Pledge COVID Vaccines for World's Poorest VOA 19 Feb 2021 -- The world's richest countries and pharmaceutical companies are set to pledge to get coronavirus vaccines to the world's poorest countries Friday.
- Biden Announces Financial Support for Global COVID Vaccine Program VOA 19 Feb 2021 -- U.S. President Joe Biden announced Friday a $4 billion pledge to a global campaign to bolster the distribution of COVID-19 vaccines to poor countries.
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Announces Nursing Home Visitations to Resume in Accordance with CMS and CDC Guidelines New York State 19 Feb 2021
- US Reports 69,165 New COVID-19 Cases, 2601 Deaths SPA 19 Feb 2021 -- The United States reported 69,165 new coronavirus cases and 2,601 deaths of COVID-19, during the past 24 hours.
- Remarks by President Biden at Pfizer Manufacturing Site The White House 19 Feb 2021
- Readout of President Joseph R. Biden, Jr. Call with Acting FEMA Administrator Bob Fenton The White House 19 Feb 2021
- Press Briefing by White House COVID-19 Response Team and Public Health Officials The White House 19 Feb 2021
- Hong Kong to start COVID-19 vaccine rollout as first doses to arrive Friday People's Daily 19 Feb 2021 -- Hong Kong will begin to give the COVID-19 vaccine to its residents for free on Feb. 26 as the first 1 million doses from Sinovac Biotech will arrive on Friday afternoon.
- Chinese mainland reports no new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 19 Feb 2021 -- The Chinese mainland reported no new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases on Thursday, the National Health Commission said Friday.
- German Health Officials Warn Decline in New COVID-19 Cases Could Backslide VOA 19 Feb 2021 -- German health officials Friday warned there are signs the recent downward trend of new COVID-19 cases in the country could reverse itself and urged caution to those eager to lift virus-related restrictions.
- Russia Reports 13,433 New Coronavirus Cases SPA 19 Feb 2021 -- Russia reported 13,433 new Coronavirus cases in the last 24 hours, including 1,972 in Moscow, taking the tally to 4,139,031, Reuters reported.
- India crosses a landmark milestone- More than 1 crore vaccine doses administered against COVID19 India PIB 19 Feb 2021 -- India has crossed a significant milestone in the fight against the global pandemic. As on 19thFebruary, 2021, till 8:00 AM, the cumulative vaccine doses administered to healthcare and frontline workers against COVID19 in the country have surpassed 1crore.
- Update on COVID-19 Vaccination- Day 35 India PIB 19 Feb 2021 -- The cumulative number of COVID19 vaccine doses administered to healthcare and frontline workers has reached 1.04 Crore today in the country.
- Dr Harsh Vardhan appeals to the Medical Community and Frontline Workers to come forward and take the COVID19 Vaccine India PIB 19 Feb 2021 -- Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare today appealed the medical community and the frontline workers through the media to come forward and take the COVID vaccine. This comes on the day the country crossed a major landmark as more than 1 crore vaccine doses were administered to the healthcare and frontline workers. The country's nationwide COVID19 vaccination drive was launched by the Prime Minister on 16th January 2021.
- Iran to launch manufacturing line of Russian COVID-19 vaccine: Official IRNA 19 Feb 2021 -- Head of Iran's Presidential Office Mahmoud Vaezi said on Friday that Iran will launch manufacturing line of Russian prototype vaccines for campaign against COVID-19.
- COVID-19 claims 77 more lives in past 24 hours in Iran: Official IRNA 19 Feb 2021 -- Some 77 more Iranians have died from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 59,341, Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Friday.
- Iran to launch mass production of Russian Sputnik V COVID-19 vaccine Press TV 19 Feb 2021 -- Iran plans to start the mass production of Russia's Sputnik V anti-coronavirus vaccines but will use a variety of vaccines, including Indian and Chinese ones.
- 337 New Confirmed Covid-19 Cases, 346 Recoveries Reported, in Saudi Arabia SPA 19 Feb 2021 -- The Ministry of Health announced, in a statement here today, that 337 new confirmed cases of the novel Coronavirus (Covid-19) have been reported, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 374,366, including 2,549 active cases undergoing treatment.
- Medical workers to get priority for COVID-19 vaccinations: CECC CNA 19 Feb 2021 -- About 332,000 health care workers across Taiwan will be the first to receive COVID-19 vaccinations, which could arrive as early as the end of February, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Taiwan reports one new imported case of COVID-19 CNA 19 Feb 2021 -- Taiwan on Friday added one new imported case of COVID-19, bringing the total number of cases in the country to 941, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- UK donates equipment to Peru to fight the COVID-19 pandemic. UK FCDO 19 Feb 2021 -- The donation of 60 ventilators and 40 monitors by the UK government will strengthen the care of patients with COVID-19 in Peru.
- Peru Investigates COVID-19 Vaccination Scandal VOA 19 Feb 2021 -- Investigations are now under way into the Peruvian coronavirus vaccination scandal, in which hundreds of people, many well-connected, were given shots although they did not participate in trials for the Sinopharm vaccine to determine its efficacy.
- Thailand braces for COVID-19 vaccine arrival from China's Sinovac Global Times 19 Feb 2021 -- Thailand is expecting to receive the first shipment of COVID-19 vaccines from China's Sinovac Biotech next week and kick-start its national inoculation program.
- UAE Announces 3,140 New Covid-19 Cases SPA 19 Feb 2021 -- The UAE Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) has announced 3,140 new cases of the novel coronavirus (Covid-19), bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the UAE to 365,017.
- Venezuela Launches COVID-19 Vaccination Program VOA 19 Feb 2021 -- Venezuela began its immunization program against the COVID-19 virus by vaccinating front-line health care personnel Thursday, less than a week after receiving the first batch of 100,000 doses of the Russian vaccine Sputnik V. btain vaccines to counteract the pandemic.
- Africa's Coronavirus Death Toll Tops 100,000 VOA 19 Feb 2021 -- The coronavirus death toll on the African continent surpassed 100,000 on Friday, as African countries struggled to obtain vaccines to counteract the pandemic.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|