09 February 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- US Senate to Proceed with Trump Impeachment Trial VOA 09 Feb 2021 -- The U.S. Senate voted Tuesday to proceed with the impeachment trial of former President Donald Trump on a charge that he incited insurrection at the U.S. Capitol last month by urging hundreds of his supporters to confront lawmakers as they met to certify that Democrat Joe Biden had defeated him in last November's election.
- Pentagon: Extremist groups aggressively recruiting US military service members Press TV 09 Feb 2021 -- The Pentagon has acknowledged that extremist groups are "very aggressively" recruiting US military service members, amid reports that a significant percentage of former President Donald Trump's extremist supporters who launched a violent march on the Capitol on January 6 were active duty service members and others were military veterans.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Weekly Epidemiological Update WHO 09 Feb 2021
- WHO Hopes Russia's Sputnik V Vaccine to Be Distributed Through COVAX Program Sputnik 09 Feb 2021 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) expressed hope, in its comment for Sputnik, that Russia's Sputnik V vaccine against the coronavirus would be distributed through the COVAX international program after receiving the WHO authorization for emergency use.
- Air Force update for COVID-19 US Air Force 09 Feb 2021
- US to Distribute Vaccines to Community Health Centers VOA 09 Feb 2021 -- Vaccines against COVID-19 will be distributed to community health centers across the United States in the coming weeks, the White House said Tuesday.
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Announces Lowest 7-Day Average COVID-19 Positivity Rate Since December 1 New York State 09 Feb 2021
- Covid-19 outbreak on Roosevelt blamed on commanders Press TV 09 Feb 2021 -- A Pentagon watchdog is blaming commanders of aircraft carrier USS Roosevelt for the spread of the coronavirus among the crew.
- British coronavirus variant spreading 'rapidly' in US Press TV 09 Feb 2021 -- A coronavirus variant from the United Kingdom is now spreading "rapidly" through the United States, according to a new study.
- Press Briefing by White House COVID-19 Response Team and Public Health Officials The White House 09 Feb 2021
- COVID-19 'extremely unlikely' to have come from a lab, experts say UN News 09 Feb 2021 -- The virus that causes COVID-19 probably jumped from animals to humans and is "extremely unlikely" to have come from a laboratory, the head of an international team investigating the origins of the disease said on Tuesday.
- WHO Finds No Evidence of COVID-19 Outbreaks in Wuhan Before December 2019 VOA 09 Feb 2021 -- The leader of international experts investigating the origins of COVID-19 in China says they saw no evidence of large outbreaks of the disease prior to its December 2019 discovery in the city of Wuhan.
- WHO refutes Wuhan lab claim about coronavirus origin Press TV 09 Feb 2021 -- A team of experts from the World Health Organization (WHO) investigating the origins of the COVID-19 pandemic have dismissed a controversial theory that the virus leaked from a laboratory in the Chinese city of Wuhan.
- Global experts scrutinize Southeast Asia as their target in investigating tracing origin of coronavirus: WHO Global Times 09 Feb 2021 -- The Huanan seafood market may not have been the original site of COVID-19 outbreak, bats and pangolin sample in Wuhan failed to provide evidence of coronavirus origins either, while viruses are extremely unlikely to leak from Wuhan labs according to a report jointly published by experts from China and World Health Organization (WHO) on Tuesday.
- COVID-19 transmission routes in Wuhan yet identified; virus may not be passed from bat to human; Huanan seafood market may not first place for outbreak: WHO mission Global Times 09 Feb 2021 -- The discovery of the viral sequence of coronavirus suggests the virus originated from zoonotic transmission, but the host is yet to be identified. Sequence diversity appeared in the early Wuhan outbreak, suggesting that there are transmission chains beyond the Huanan seafood market, according to a report jointly published by experts from China and World Health Organization (WHO) on Tuesday.
- Chinese cities loosen restrictions ahead of Spring Festival after seeing zero new domestic COVID-19 case Global Times 09 Feb 2021 -- Multiple cities in China have eased transportation restrictions ahead of the Chinese Lunar New Year after the country has recorded several days with no locally transmitted COVID-19 cases. People with green health code can travel more freely within and outside their residential province and visit friends and family during the holidays.
- 'Estimated 2 million' COVID-19 high-risk people in Beijing vaccinated Global Times 09 Feb 2021 -- Roughly two million people working in jobs with relatively high-risk for COVID-19 transmission in Beijing have been vaccinated before the upcoming Chinese New Year (CNY) holiday, local health experts estimated.
- Beijing clears COVID-19 high-, medium-risk areas ahead of Chinese New Year Global Times 09 Feb 2021 -- Beijing has basically controlled the latest local COVID-19 outbreak ahead of the upcoming Chinese New Year (CNY) holiday. The local authority said on Tuesday that it will change the classification of the capital's last high-risk area for the coronavirus into a low-risk one on Tuesday, having cleared all its high- and medium-risk areas after seeing zero local cases for 10 consecutive days.
- Chinese Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccine effective in older people: Moroccan health ministry Global Times 09 Feb 2021 -- The Chinese Sinopharm vaccine is effective in older people and Morocco will continue using it to vaccinate the population aged 60 and over, authorities said Monday.
- Macao kicks off COVID-19 vaccination Global Times 09 Feb 2021 -- The Macao Special Administrative Region (SAR) officially kicked off its COVID-19 vaccination on Tuesday morning. The city's senior government officials, including Chief Executive Ho Iat Seng, took the lead and received their first doses of the Sinopharm vaccines.
- China ready to give positive consideration to CEE countries over vaccine cooperation Global Times 09 Feb 2021 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Tuesday lauded the cooperation between China and Central and Eastern European countries (CEECs), saying "17 plus 1 could make more than 18" and China is ready to give it positive consideration on vaccine cooperation.
- Chinese mainland reports no new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 09 Feb 2021 -- No new locally-transmitted confirmed cases of COVID-19 were reported Monday across the Chinese mainland, the National Health Commission said Tuesday.
- Steep Fines, Possible Jail Time in Britain for COVID-19 Travel Violations VOA 09 Feb 2021 -- British Health Secretary Matt Hancock Tuesday introduced tough new travel rules for British and Irish residents who travel from COVID-19 hot spots, and penalties for those who break them, including fines of more than $13,000 and 10-year jail sentences.
- British Army in Kenya struck down by Covid-19 as soldiers hospitalized Press TV 09 Feb 2021 -- The bulk of the British army in Kenya has been placed in "enhanced isolation" as fears mount of widespread coronavirus infection among the army's training unit in the East African country.
- Germany's Confirmed Coronavirus Cases Rise By 3,379 SPA 09 Feb 2021 -- The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Germany increased by 3,379 to 2,291,924, data from the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) for infectious diseases showed on Tuesday, according to Reuters.
- India's Daily new Cases continue to show steady decline; Recoveries on an upward streak India PIB 09 Feb 2021 -- India's daily new cases continue to manifest a downward trend. 9,110 new cases have been registered in the last 24 hours. Low number of daily cases and rising recoveries have ensured a sustained fall in the Active Cases.
- Update on COVID-19 Vaccination-Day 25 India PIB 09 Feb 2021 -- The number of healthcare and frontline workers vaccinated against COVID19 has reached 65.28 lakh on the twenty fifth day of the countrywide COVID-19 vaccination program. India is the topmost country to reach the 6 million mark of COVID vaccinations in just 24 days.
- Health minister: Iran imports COVID-19 vaccine from 5 foreign sources IRNA 09 Feb 2021 -- Iranian Health Minister Saeed Namaki said on Tuesday that the coronavirus vaccine is imported from five foreign sources to Iran.
- Public vaccination in Iran to accomplish by year-end IRNA 09 Feb 2021 -- Public vaccination started on Tuesday morning in Iran will accopmlish by the end of current Iranian year on March 20, 2022, Iran health official said.
- Official: COVID-19 claims 89 more lives in Iran IRNA 09 Feb 2021 -- Some 89 more Iranians have died from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 58,625, Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Tuesday.
- Health workers receiving COVID-19 vaccine at different Iranian provinces IRNA 09 Feb 2021 -- Few hours after the first injection of a Russian-developed vaccine â€“ Sputnik V â€“ during a ceremony in Tehran, injection of the vaccine began in other Iranian provinces.
- Rouhani: Officials ready to pioneer in vaccination to promote public trust IRNA 09 Feb 2021 -- President Hassan Rouhani said on Tuesday that all officials are ready to vaccinate as pioneers to build public trust in vaccination.
- Iran begins COVID-19 vaccination IRNA 09 Feb 2021 -- Upon the order by President Hassan Rouhani, Iran began vaccination against COVID-19 with a Russian-developed vaccine â€“ Sputnik V â€“ on Tuesday.
- Iran Begins COVID-19 Vaccination Campaign With Russia's Sputnik V Sputnik 09 Feb 2021 -- RDIF on Sputnik V Vaccine Production: Many Countries Are Interested
- Iran launches nationwide vaccination campaign against COVID-19 Press TV 09 Feb 2021 -- Iran has officially begun the nationwide vaccination campaign against the COVID-19 disease with the Russian Sputnik V vaccine, delivering jabs to frontline health workers in the first phase.
- Iran Launches COVID-19 Inoculation Campaign With Russian Vaccine RFE/RL 09 Feb 2021 -- Iran has kicked off its vaccination campaign against COVID-19 using the Russian-developed Sputnik V vaccine.
- Taiwan unveils plans to prioritize COVID-19 vaccinations CNA 09 Feb 2021 -- Taiwan will prioritize the vaccination of roughly 990,000 health care workers and epidemic prevention personnel during the first phase roll-out of COVID-19 vaccines, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Tuesday.
- Taiwan reports 21st case in hospital cluster, four new imported cases CNA 09 Feb 2021 -- A family member of a nurse at Taoyuan General Hospital has been confirmed as having COVID-19, after previously testing negative five times for the disease, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Tuesday.
- Hospital visit bans in Taipei, New Taipei, Taoyuan to be lifted CNA 09 Feb 2021 -- The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Tuesday announced that a ban on inpatient visits at hospitals in Taipei, New Taipei and Taoyuan in northern Taiwan will be lifted the following day.
- Philippines logs 1,235 new COVID-19 cases, Duterte expects "good results" from vaccine rollout People's Daily 09 Feb 2021 -- The Department of Health (DOH) of the Philippines reported on Tuesday 1,235 new COVID-19 cases, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the Southeast Asian country to 540,227.
- UAE Announces 3,310 New COVID-19 Cases, 17 Deaths in Last 24 hours SPA 09 Feb 2021 -- The UAE Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) announced that it conducted 165,796 additional COVID-19 tests over the past 24 hours, using state-of-the-art medical testing equipment, Emirates News Agency (WAM) reported.
- Egypt Reports 567 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 09 Feb 2021 -- Egypt reported today 567 new cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and 48 new deaths.
- Kuwait Records 1,002 New Cases of Covid-19 SPA 09 Feb 2021 -- Kuwait recorded 1002 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (Covid-19), over the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 172,996, while 6 deaths were recorded, bringing the total number of deaths to 975.
- Peru Launches Vaccination Program Against COVID-19 VOA 09 Feb 2021 -- Peru begins its fight against a second wave of the coronavirus pandemic on Tuesday, with President Francisco Sagasti rolling up his sleeve first, to show people the vaccine is safe.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|