24 January 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- Yemen aid groups call on Biden administration to revoke Houthis' terrorist designation Press TV 24 Jan 2021 -- Twenty-two aid groups working in Yemen have called on Washington to revoke a last-minute move by the administration of former US President Donald Trump to designate Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah movement as a foreign terrorist organization.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- World Nears 100 Million COVID-19 Cases VOA 24 Jan 2021 -- The world is on the verge of reaching 100 million COVID-19 infections, according to Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center statistics. More than 2 million people have died from the virus.
- US COVID Vaccinations Still Lagging, Health Officials Say VOA 24 Jan 2021 -- The U.S. government's effort to vaccinate millions of Americans against the coronavirus pandemic is lagging, new health officials in President Joe Biden's administration conceded Sunday. But they held out hope that the campaign to curb the virus will markedly improve within three months.
- Life returning to normal in Hebei's low-risk regions as coronavirus infections decline Global Times 24 Jan 2021 -- Low-risk regions in North China's Hebei Province, many of which had been locked down due to outbreaks of coronavirus, are reopening as new infections continue to decline.
- Beijing medical institutions summoned after rejecting patients from COVID-19 medium and high risk areas Global Times 24 Jan 2021 -- Beijing authorities told certain medical institutions that refused to treat patients from COVID-19 medium and high risk areas to immediately make changes.
- Shanghai adds new COVID-19 medium-risk area, strengthens imported cold-chain management Global Times 24 Jan 2021 -- The Guixi residential community in downtown Shanghai has been designated as a medium-risk area for COVID-19 after a resident was confirmed to have been infected, according to Shanghai authorities on Sunday. This brought the number of medium-risk areas up to four in the metropolis.
- Shijiazhuang strengthens home-quarantine management after media criticism of loopholes Global Times 24 Jan 2021 -- Shijiazhuang, capital of North China's Hebei Province, which has recently seen a resurgence in COVID-19 cases, has strengthened epidemic prevention and control measures in residential communities after media criticized the city's loopholes in the closed management of some old communities, as residents in these communities could go out of and into the community at will.
- Beijing CDC calls on public to avoid travel for Spring Festival Global Times 24 Jan 2021 -- The Beijing Center for Disease Control and Prevention on Sunday appealed to the public to spend their upcoming Spring Festival holidays in the capital due to COVID-19 outbreak risks, after China rolled out a series of measures to encourage the public to stay in their working cities, including mandatory nucleic acid tests from within seven days of travel, 14-day health monitoring at home and an extra bonus for those who choose to stay.
- China's megacity completes 3rd round of citywide COVID-19 testing People's Daily 24 Jan 2021 -- Shijiazhuang, a megacity in north China's Hebei Province, has completed three rounds of citywide nucleic acid testing in 17 days to stem the spread of the novel coronavirus.
- Chinese mainland reports 65 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 24 Jan 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Saturday reported 80 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases, including 65 locally transmitted ones and 15 arriving from outside the mainland, the National Health Commission said Sunday.
- Germany's Confirmed Coronavirus Cases Rise by 12,257 to 2,134,936 SPA 24 Jan 2021 -- The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Germany increased by 12,257 to 2,134,936, data from the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) for infectious diseases showed on Sunday, according to Reuters.
- Russia Reports 21,127 New Coronavirus Cases, 491 Deaths SPA 24 Jan 2021 -- Russia reported 21,127 new coronavirus cases in the preceding 24 hours on Sunday, including 3,069 in Moscow, taking the national tally to 3,719,400, Reuters reported.
- India Launches 'Neighborly Vaccine Diplomacy' VOA 24 Jan 2021 -- In an unusual diplomatic initiative, India has donated millions of doses of the British-developed AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine being produced in the country to neighboring South Asian nations.
- India's Active Caseload further contracts to 1.84 Lakhs India PIB 24 Jan 2021 -- In a testament to the successful TEST-TRACK-TREAT-TEST-TECHNOLOGY strategy, India continues on its steady trajectory of reporting a sustained downfall in the daily new cases and consequential decline in the active cases.
- Update on COVID-19 Vaccination India PIB 24 Jan 2021 -- More than 31,000 healthcare workers have been vaccinated in five states on the ninth day of the massive countrywide COVID-19 vaccination program
- Pakistan Approves Emergency Use of Russian Coronavirus Vaccine RFE/RL Gandhara 24 Jan 2021 -- Pakistan has approved the emergency use of a Russian vaccine to combat the spread of the coronavirus.
- Pakistan Approves Russian Sputnik V COVID-19 Vaccine's Emergency Use SPA 24 Jan 2021 -- Pakistan's government decided to allow the emergency use of Russia's Sputnik V COVID-19 vaccine in the country, the Dawn newspaper reported on Sunday citing the government's sources. "At the meeting held by the registration board of Pakistan's Drug Regulatory Authority, another vaccine was also approved for emergency use," according to the newspaper.
- Pakistan Authorises Emergency Use of Russia's Sputnik V Vaccine, Reports Say Sputnik 24 Jan 2021 -- Pakistan has approved the emergency use of the Russian-made vaccine against the coronavirus disease, Sputnik V, media reported Sunday.
- Iranian COVID-19 vaccine proves safe IRNA 24 Jan 2021 -- The implementer of the clinical study of the Iranian-made COVID-19 vaccine said on Sunday that the COV-Iran Barekat has had no side effect in any of the 21 recipients.
- Some 89 deaths caused by COVID-19 in Iran IRNA 24 Jan 2021 -- Some 89 deaths were caused by COVID-19 in Iran over the past 24 hours, spokeswoman for Iran's Ministry of Health and Medical Education Sima Sadat Lari said on Sunday.
- Iran health minister concerned about circulation of COVID-19 IRNA 24 Jan 2021 -- Iranian Health Minister Saeed Namaki on Sunday expressed concern about circulation of COVID-19 in the country, saying if a new wave of the disease takes place, the Iranians will have to endure far more hardship than before.
- Iran renews ban on UK flights until late February Press TV 24 Jan 2021 -- Iranian aviation officials says a ban enacted last month on flights to and from the United Kingdom will persist until January 18 as authorities seek to prevent any spread of a new variant of the coronavirus.
- South Korea Reports 392 more COVID-19 Cases SPA 24 Jan 2021 -- South Korea reported 392 more cases of COVID-19 as of midnight Saturday compared to 24 hours ago, raising the total number of infections to 75,084.
- Health Ministry Spokesman: 186 New Confirmed Cases of COVID-19 Reported in Saudi Arabia SPA 24 Jan 2021 -- Official Spokesman of the Ministry of Health Dr. Muhammad Al-Abdulaali said in a press conference today that 186 new confirmed cases of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia; thus bringing the total number to 366,371 confirmed cases, including 2,080 active cases receiving necessary medical care. Of these, there are 313 critical cases, while the health condition of the rest is stable.
- Two more domestic COVID-19 cases confirmed in Taoyuan hospital cluster CNA 24 Jan 2021 -- Taiwan on Sunday recorded two more domestic COVID-19 cases linked to a recent cluster infection at Taoyuan General Hospital, where the number of cases has now increased to 15, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Kuwait Reports 384 New Cases of Covid-19 SPA 24 Jan 2021 -- Kuwait reported 384 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (Covid-19) , during the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of infections to 161285.
- UAE Announces 3,579 New COVID-19 Cases, 4,166 Recoveries, 9 Deaths in Last 24 Hours SPA 24 Jan 2021 -- The UAE Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) announced that it conducted 179,117 additional COVID-19 tests over the past 24 hours, using state-of-the-art medical testing equipment.
- Argentine Vice President Kirchner Says Got Vaccinated With Sputnik V Sputnik 24 Jan 2021 -- Argentine Vice President Cristina Kirchner said on Sunday that she received Russia's Sputnik V vaccine against COVID-19.
- Israeli Police Clash With Ultra-Orthodox Over COVID Restrictions VOA 24 Jan 2021 -- Across Israel, police clashed Sunday with ultra-Orthodox Jews who violated coronavirus lockdown rules by opening schools and religious seminaries. Despite an impressive vaccine rollout, Israel is in the midst of a third lockdown to try to stop the growing number of cases.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|