03 January 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- Pakistan arrests alleged financier of 2008 Mumbai attacks Press TV 03 Jan 2021 -- Pakistan has arrested a man accused by the United States and India of financing the deadly 2008 Mumbai attacks.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Fauci Suggests Slow Pace of US Coronavirus Vaccinations to Pick Up VOA 03 Jan 2021 -- Vaccinations against the coronavirus are off to a slow and chaotic start in the United States, but the country's top infectious disease expert held out hope Sunday that the pace will soon pick up.
- CDC: 14 Million Vaccines Distributed, 4 Million Inoculated VOA 03 Jan 2021 -- The U.S. continues its run at the top of the list as the country with the most COVID-19 infections, the disease caused by the coronavirus.
- U.S. COVID-19 deaths top 350,000 -- Johns Hopkins University People's Daily 03 Jan 2021 -- U.S. COVID-19 deaths surpassed 350,000 on Saturday evening, according to the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University.
- NYC COVID-19 test positivity rate remains above 9 pct: mayor People's Daily 03 Jan 2021 -- New York City's COVID-19 test positivity rate on a seven-day average went down to 9.39 percent, compared with 9.41 percent one day earlier, Mayor Bill de Blasio tweeted on Saturday.
- 115,000 more Americans will die of COVID-19 in January: Model predicts Press TV 03 Jan 2021 -- COVID-19 will kill 115,000 more Americans in January alone as 348,000 have already died since the start of the pandemic across the US, according to a leading model.
- 'There's no running away from the numbers,' Fauci says of US virus deaths Press TV 03 Jan 2021 -- America's top infectious disease expert Anthony Fauci has expressed frustration with the skyrocketing rise in coronavirus-related fatalities across the country as outgoing President Donald Trump questions the authenticity of the official death toll.
- Trump Says Record-Breaking COVID-19 Figures Exaggerated Sputnik 03 Jan 2021 -- US President Donald Trump said on Sunday the record-breaking numbers of new COVID-19 cases, nearly 300,000 in the past 24 hours, are exaggerated due to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) method of counting.
- Longer quarantine, retrospective testing 'unnecessary' despite 2nd case of COVID-19 variant: epidemiologist Global Times 03 Jan 2021 -- China confirmed on Sunday a second imported case of the new, more transmissible coronavirus variant that has been spreading wildly in the UK. China's chief epidemiologist and public health experts said the current prevention mechanism will be effective in warding off the spread of the imported variant in China, but the measures might be escalated if more cases occur.
- NE China's Liaoning continues to strengthen COVID-19 control measures after super spreaders emerge Global Times 03 Jan 2021 -- Among the 41 "COVID-19 medium-risk areas," there are 13 in Shenyang and 16 in Dalian, two key cities in Northeast China's Liaoning Province, according to health authorities on Sunday.
- Beijing, Shandong kick off mass vaccination for key groups Global Times 03 Jan 2021 -- China's capital city Beijing, along with East China's Shandong Province, has started its first round of free mass COVID-19 vaccinations for key groups amid sporadic cases. Beijing has set up 220 vaccination sites where more than 70,000 people have received shots so far.
- Wuhan calls on public to stockpile emergency materials, drawing on lessons from early stages of epidemic Global Times 03 Jan 2021 -- Central China's Wuhan, where the COVID-19 epidemic first broke out, has released a list of emergency materials that Chinese families should stock, and called on the public to make preparations in the event that another serious outbreak occurs.
- Last local COVID-19 patient in November outbreak discharged from hospital in Shanghai Global Times 03 Jan 2021 -- Shanghai, Guangzhou, Qingdao are among Chinese cities that have announced that local COVID-19 patients have all been discharged from hospital upon recovery as of Saturday, according to daily reports released by local authorities on Sunday.
- Imported coronavirus variant case reported in Guangdong Global Times 03 Jan 2021 -- An imported coronavirus variant case has been detected in south China's Guangdong Province, the provincial center for disease control and prevention said on Sunday.
- China-Russia border city of Heihe completes mass testing, suspends public transportation amid sporadic cases Global Times 03 Jan 2021 -- Heihe, a China-Russia border city in Northeast China's Heilongjiang Province, announced the suspension of all bus and taxi services starting from Sunday, as the city continues to see increasing numbers of sporadic COVID-19 cases.
- Chinese mainland reports 8 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 03 Jan 2021 -- China's National Health Commission said Sunday that it received reports of 24 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Saturday, including eight locally transmitted case and 16 imported ones.
- 12 COVID-19 patients newly discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 03 Jan 2021 -- Twelve COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland Saturday, the National Health Commission said in its daily report Sunday.
- Chinese mainland reports 8 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 03 Jan 2021 -- China's National Health Commission said Sunday that it received reports of 24 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Saturday, including eight locally transmitted cases and 16 imported ones.
- UK records highest daily increase in coronavirus cases People's Daily 03 Jan 2021 -- Another 57,725 people in Britain have tested positive for COVID-19, marking the highest daily increase in coronavirus cases since the pandemic began in the country, according to official figures released Saturday.
- Labor leader Keir Starmer calls for new national lockdown Press TV 03 Jan 2021 -- Labor Party leader, Keir Starmer, has taken the initiative on the spiraling Covid-19 crisis by urging the government to "impose" a new national lockdown "within 24 hours".
- Britain Warns of New Lockdowns Amid Coronavirus Surge, Variant VOA 03 Jan 2021 -- Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson warned Sunday of new lockdowns to be issued across the country as cases of the coronavirus surge, particularly with a new variant spreading.
- France Reports 12,489 New Coronavirus Cases SPA 03 Jan 2021 -- France today, on Sunday recorded 12,489 new coronavirus cases over the past 24 hours, up from the 3,466 reported a day earlier, Reuters cited the country's Health Ministry as saying in a daily update.
- Russia Reports 24,150 New Coronavirus Cases, 504 Deaths SPA 03 Jan 2021 -- Russia on Sunday reported an additional 24,150 new coronavirus cases from the last 24 hours, including 3,851 in Moscow, taking the national tally to 3,236,787, Reuters reported.
- India Approves AstraZeneca and Locally Developed Vaccine VOA 03 Jan 2021 -- India has granted emergency authorization to two vaccines for COVID-19, setting the stage for rolling out what could be the world's largest immunization program.
- India's Sustained decline of Active Caseload continues; drops below 2.5 Lakh India PIB 03 Jan 2021 -- India's trajectory of active cases continues to follow a steadily dipping path. The total Active Caseload has dropped below 2.5 lakh (2,47,220) today.
- Press Statement by the Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI) on Restricted Emergency approval of COVID-19 virus vaccine India PIB 03 Jan 2021 -- The Subject Expert Committee of Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation (CDSCO) met on 1st and 2nd January, 2021 and made recommendations in respect of proposal for Restricted Emergency Approval of COVID-19 virus vaccine of M/s Serum Institute of India and M/s Bharat Biotech as well as Phase III clinical trial of M/s Cadila Healthcare Ltd.
- India Approves AstraZeneca and local COVID vaccines SPA 03 Jan 2021 -- India's drugs regulator on Sunday gave final approval for the emergency-use of two coronavirus vaccines, one developed by AstraZeneca and Oxford University and the other by local company Bharat Biotech and a state-run institute, Reuters reported.
- COVID-19 kills 102 more people in Iran IRNA 03 Jan 2021 -- Some 102 more Iranians have died from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 55,540, Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Sunday.
- President Rouhani hopes COVID-19 vaccine be purchased within weeks IRNA 03 Jan 2021 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani expressed hope that the coronavirus vaccine be purchased and transferred to Iran within weeks, saying vaccination will start based on a certain timetable which will give the priority to medical staff and elderly people.
- Iran's COVID vaccine fully home-grown, no Chinese, Cuban role involved: SETAD Press TV 03 Jan 2021 -- Iran's SETAD, an economic conglomerate that owns major pharmaceutical companies, has denied reports that it has used Chinese or Cuban expertise to develop an indigenous vaccine for COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus.
- Saudi Arabia to Lift Entry Ban Linked to New SARS-CoV-2 Strain on Sunday - State Media Sputnik 03 Jan 2021 -- Saudi Arabia is set to scrap an entry ban related to the new mutated strain of SARS-CoV-2 on Sunday, state media reported, citing an interior ministry source.
- Taiwan reports 4 new imported COVID-19 cases (update) CNA 03 Jan 2021 -- Taiwan reported four additional imported cases of COVID-19 on Sunday, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the country to 812 since the epidemic began in late 2019, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Emergency Anti-epidemic Work Intensified in DPRK KCNA 03 Jan 2021 -- An emergency anti-epidemic work is intensified in the DPRK to thoroughly check the inroads of COVID-19 in the new year, too.
- Jordan Records 26 COVID Deaths, 1,540 Infections on Sunday SPA 03 Jan 2021 -- A total of 26 new deaths and 1,540 cases of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) was recorded in Jordan on Sunday.
- UAE Announces 1,590 New COVID-19 Cases, 1,609 Recoveries, 5 Deaths in Last 24 Hours SPA 03 Jan 2021 -- The UAE Ministry of Health and Prevention, MoHAP, announced that it conducted 125,232 additional COVID-19 tests over the past 24 hours, using state-of-the-art medical testing equipment, Emirates News Agency (WAM) reported.
- Brazil Reports 15,827 New Coronavirus Cases, 314 More Deaths SPA 03 Jan 2021 -- Brazil recorded 15,827 additional confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus in the past 24 hours, along with 314 deaths from COVID-19, Reuters cited the country's Health Ministry as saying today, on Saturday.
- Zimbabwe Reintroduces Dusk-to-Dawn Curfew to Contain Rising COVID-19 Cases VOA 03 Jan 2021 -- Zimbabwe has reintroduced a 12-hour dusk-to-dawn curfew to contain rising COVID19 cases and combat citizens' disregard of lockdown regulations. The World Health Organization is calling on Zimbabweans to abide by the new regulations. Public health experts and informal traders have concerns about the measures.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|