16 November 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- NATO readies for cyber threats NATO 16 Nov 2020 -- NATO's biggest cyber defence exercise, the week-long Cyber Coalition started on Monday (16 November). The exercise aims to train cyber defenders in their ability to defend NATO and national networks and will test decision making processes and procedures.
- Suspected IS Terrorist Goes on Trial in Paris VOA 16 Nov 2020 -- A suspected Islamic State gunman who opened fire aboard a high-speed train in France in 2015 is going on trial Monday in Paris.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Worldwide Coronavirus Cases Cross 54.22 Million, Death Toll at 1,315,628 SPA 16 Nov 2020 -- More than 54.22 million people have been reported to be infected by the novel coronavirus globally and 1,315,628 have died, according to a Reuters tally.
- No time for complacency as COVID-19 cases surge: WHO chief UN News 16 Nov 2020 -- Despite encouraging news about COVID-19 vaccines and cautious optimism over potential new tools against the disease, "this is not the time for complacency," the head of the World Health Organization (WHO) warned on Monday during his latest press briefing in Geneva.
- WHO Head 'Extremely Concerned' by Increase in Coronavirus Cases VOA 16 Nov 2020 -- The head of the World Health Organization says the agency is "extremely concerned" by a surge of coronavirus cases, particularity in Europe and North America.
- Moderna Announces Second COVID Vaccine More Than 90% Effective VOA 16 Nov 2020 -- Another COVID-19 vaccine has shown exciting results, potentially adding millions of doses to the supply of vaccines that could be available this year.
- WHO Says Vaccine Announcement Encouraging, More Data Needed VOA 16 Nov 2020 -- Experts at the World Health Organization (WHO) say the news Monday of another COVID-19 vaccine candidate is encouraging but more information is needed and, as new virus cases surge around the world, it is no time to be complacent.
- Biden Warns of Lethal Consequences if Trump Won't Coordinate on Coronavirus Response VOA 16 Nov 2020 -- President-elect Joe Biden warned that outgoing President Donald Trump's refusal to recognize the transition prior to the January 20 inauguration could have dire consequences amid the coronavirus pandemic.
- West Virginia National Guard helps ramp up COVID-19 testing Army News 16 Nov 2020 -- At the direction of Gov. Jim Justice nearly two weeks ago, the West Virginia National Guard helped increase COVID-19 testing throughout the state.
- DOD Awards $6.18 Million Contract to Medline Industries, Inc. to Increase Domestic Production Capacity of Surgical Masks DoD 16 Nov 2020 -- On Nov. 13, 2020, the Department of Defense (DOD), in coordination with the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), awarded a $6.18 million contract to Medline Industries, Inc. to increase domestic production capacity of surgical masks.
- Norquist Highlights DOD Efforts to Produce COVID Treatments DoD News 16 Nov 2020 -- Deputy Defense Secretary David L. Norquist thanked blood plasma donors and the workers who collected it for their work in combating the COVID-19 pandemic.
- NY governor criticizes federal COVID-19 vaccination plan, threatens legal action People's Daily 16 Nov 2020 -- New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo on Sunday once again criticized the Donald Trump administration's vaccine distribution plan, saying its inequities will hurt the country and its people.
- U.S. COVID-19 cases top 11 mln, growing 1 mln in 6 days People's Daily 16 Nov 2020 -- The total number of COVID-19 cases in the United States surpassed 11 million on Sunday as states across the country moved to adopt new restrictions to curb the virus which is surging at a daily record speed.
- U.S. Harris County launches door-to-door COVID-19 survey, antibody test People's Daily 16 Nov 2020 -- U.S. Harris County on Sunday launched a door-to-door survey and antibody test to figure out who has been infected with COVID-19 without knowing it.
- Gov. Cuomo threatens to sue Trump administration over vaccine distribution Press TV 16 Nov 2020 -- New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) has threatened to sue the administration of Republican President Donald Trump if it moves ahead with its immunization distribution plan.
- US States Tighten Coronavirus Restrictions Amid Surge in Cases VOA 16 Nov 2020 -- The governors of several U.S. states are instituting new restrictions to try to slow the spread of the coronavirus as the national case count of infections topped 11 million.
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 16 Nov 2020
- Was Wuhan outbreak caused by imported frozen products? Global Times 16 Nov 2020 -- The latest discoveries of novel coronavirus-contaminated imported frozen food have rekindled suspicions among residents and experts that the coronavirus found in Wuhan's Huanan seafood market, to which the first batch of patients reported in China was related, could also be imported.
- COVID-19 detected in Shaanxi from packaging of imported pork from Argentina, Chile Global Times 16 Nov 2020 -- A total of 13,667 kilograms of frozen pork imports have been sold to Yanliang district and other places in Xi'an of Northwest China's Shaanxi Province, Dali County of Weinan city in Shaanxi said in a Monday announcement after Yanliang district reported that the packaging of one imported pork product in the district tested positive for COVID-19 on Sunday.
- COVID-19 detected in Shaanxi from packaging of imported pork from Argentina, Chile Global Times 16 Nov 2020 -- Xiamen, East China's Fujian Province, on Sunday detected the COVID-19 virus on one outer packaging of 25 tons of frozen pork imported from France. The pork entered China from Shanghai and has not been sold in markets.
- Beijing to upgrade fever clinics to bolster COVID-19 defense People's Daily 16 Nov 2020 -- The Chinese capital Beijing will upgrade 17 fever clinics before the end of November, in an effort to strengthen the city's capacity to prevent and control COVID-19 in the coming winter and spring, local authorities said.
- China's Xiamen finds coronavirus on imported pork packaging People's Daily 16 Nov 2020 -- A packaging sample of imported frozen pork tested positive for COVID-19 in the city of Xiamen, east China's Fujian Province, local authorities said Monday.
- Chinese mainland reports no new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 Nov 2020 -- The Chinese mainland on Sunday reported no new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said Monday.
- China's Xinjiang reports no new COVID-19 cases for 8 days People's Daily 16 Nov 2020 -- No new confirmed COVID-19 cases or asymptomatic cases were reported in northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region on Sunday, the regional health commission said Monday.
- China's Xinjiang reports no new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 Nov 2020 -- No new confirmed COVID-19 cases or asymptomatic cases were reported in northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region on Saturday, the regional health commission said on Sunday.
- East China city finds coronavirus on imported packaging People's Daily 16 Nov 2020 -- A packaging sample of imported frozen aquatic products tested positive for COVID-19 on Saturday in Sishui County, east China's Shandong Province, local authorities said on Sunday.
- EU Signs Deal for 405 Billion Doses of Potential German COVID Vaccine VOA 16 Nov 2020 -- The European Commission, the European Union's administrative branch, announced Monday a deal with to purchase 405 billion doses of a potential coronavirus vaccine from German bio-tech company CureVac.
- COVID-19 may have appeared in Italy earlier than thought: study People's Daily 16 Nov 2020 -- The coronavirus may have been circulating in Italy since September 2019, three months before it first emerged in China, according to a study released Sunday by the National Cancer Institute (INT) in Milan.
- COVID-19 May Have Reached Italy Earlier Than Previously Thought, Study Finds Sputnik 16 Nov 2020 -- To date, more than 1.2 million cases of the novel coronavirus have been reported in Italy, with over 45,000 deaths as a result. As the outbreak intensifies, the number of COVID-19 patients in the country's hospitals is on pace to surpass the number of hospitalized patients during the country's initial outbreak.
- France reports 27,228 new COVID-19 cases SPA 16 Nov 2020 -- France reported today 27,228 new cases of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), bringing the total number of cases to 198,1827 cases.
- A Dozen Tory MPs Now Self-Isolating After PM Johnson Exposed to COVID-19 Sputnik 16 Nov 2020 -- PM Boris Johnson may become the first to answer Prime Minister's Questions via Zoom this week, after he was forced to self-isolate due to coming into contact with someone infected with coronavirus - with fellow Conservative MP Lee Anderson speculated to be the carrier.
- UK to Launch Two COVID-19 'Megalabs' in England, Scotland in Early 2021 to Tackle Skyrocketing Cases Sputnik 16 Nov 2020 -- The facilities will back a rapid testing programme rolled out in early November aimed at tackling asymptomatic cases across England and Scotland, the government's health ministry said on Monday.
- UK to Run Final Stage Clinical Trial of Janssen's COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate Sputnik 16 Nov 2020 -- The COVID-19 vaccine candidate being developed by the pharmaceutical company Janssen, a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson, will begin its phase three clinical trial across the United Kingdom on Monday with 6,000 voluntaries, the UK government announced.
- Coronavirus cases reach record levels in divided London People's Daily 16 Nov 2020 -- The number of coronavirus cases diagnosed in London has reached record levels, but latest official figures showed that the British capital is a divided city, with a slowing in some boroughs but increases in others.
- UK PM self-quarantining after coronavirus contact People's Daily 16 Nov 2020 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is self-quarantining after coming into contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, a Downing Street spokesman said in a statement Sunday.
- India's COVID-19 death toll surpasses 130,000, tally mounts to 8,845,127 Global Times 16 Nov 2020 -- India's COVID-19 tally reached 8,845,127 on Monday as 30,548 new cases were registered across the country in the past 24 hours, said latest data released by the federal health ministry.
- Indian gov't promises 750 ICU beds to contain COVID-19 in capital Global Times 16 Nov 2020 -- Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal Sunday said the federal government would provide 750 intensive care unit (ICU) beds at the Defence Research and Development (DRDO) COVID-19 center to tackle COVID-19 scenario in the capital of India.
- India records more Daily New Recoveries than Daily New Cases for 44 successive days India PIB 16 Nov 2020 -- India has continued the unbroken trend of the daily new recoveries outpacing the daily new additions for the 44th day.
- COVID-19 kills 486 more people in Iran IRNA 16 Nov 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Monday that some 486 more Iranians have died from coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours.
- Health Ministry: 364 Recoveries from COVID-19, Tally at 340,668, in Saudi Arabia SPA 16 Nov 2020 -- The Ministry of Health announced in a statement here today that 301 new confirmed cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 353,556, including 7,212 active cases undergoing treatment.
- Taiwan to offer anti-COVID help at APEC meeting CNA 16 Nov 2020 -- Taiwan's government will reiterate its willingness to contribute to global anti-COVID-19 efforts during the APEC Ministerial Meeting, a Taiwanese economic official said at a press conference on Monday.
- Indonesian woman tests positive for COVID-19 in Taiwan CNA 16 Nov 2020 -- An Indonesian woman who recently traveled to Taiwan for work has tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the number of cases in the country to 603, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Monday.
- DPRK leader presides over Politburo meeting on nationwide anti-coronavirus measures People's Daily 16 Nov 2020 -- Kim Jong Un, top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), presided over a Political Bureau meeting on Sunday to discuss the country's efforts to fight COVID-19, state media reported on Monday morning.
- BRICS summit to tackle vaccine ties Global Times 16 Nov 2020 -- COVID-19 vaccine cooperation is expected to be the focus of the BRICS summit, observers said, noting that against the backdrop of COVID-19, cooperation on the vaccines has become the highlight of China's diplomacy this year, which offers a glimmer of hope for the world, and further reflects China's commitment to "build a community with a shared future for mankind."
- Africa's confirmed COVID-19 cases pass 1.96 mln Global Times 16 Nov 2020 -- The number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in the African continent had reached 1,963,702, the Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) said on Sunday.
- New COVID-19 cases continue to surge in Canada People's Daily 16 Nov 2020 -- New COVID-19 cases continue to increase in Canada and some provinces in the country have broken COVID-19 records.
- ASEAN leaders agree on pandemic-coping measures, multilateral cooperation People's Daily 16 Nov 2020 -- The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) concluded its 37th summit and related meetings on Sunday, putting priorities on measures to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic and commitments to multilateral cooperation.
- Tajikistan Lifts Ban On Prison Visits By Inmates' Relatives RFE/RL 16 Nov 2020 -- Tajik authorities say families of inmates are now allowed to visit their relatives in the Central Asian country's penitentiaries, seven months after a ban on such visits was imposed due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Venezuela Expects First Deliveries of Russian Sputnik V Vaccine in January Sputnik 16 Nov 2020 -- The supply of the Russian Sputnik V vaccine against COVID-19 to Venezuela is expected in January 2021, Venezuelan Vice President Delcy Rodriguez said.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|