30 August 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- Trump administration halts election security briefings, Democrats complain Press TV 30 Aug 2020 -- The US' top intelligence office has announced that it would bring to a halt in-person briefings on election security citing leaks from congressional committees.
- Top US Intelligence Official Ends In-Person Election Security Briefings for Congress VOA 30 Aug 2020 -- U.S. counterintelligence officials will no longer brief lawmakers on threats to the upcoming presidential election in November, telling them such in-person briefings have led to leaks of "sensitive intelligence" and the politicization of information.
- Top US general says military won't play role in 2020 election Global Times 30 Aug 2020 -- The US military will not play a role in this year's election, according to the country's top general.
- Remarks by President Trump in an Emergency Operations Briefing | Lake Charles, LA (August 29, 2020) The White House 30 Aug 2020
- Remarks by President Trump in an Emergency Operations Briefing | Orange, TX (August 29, 2020) The White House 30 Aug 2020
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Global COVID-19 deaths surpass 840,000: Johns Hopkins University People's Daily 30 Aug 2020 -- Global COVID-19 deaths surpassed 840,000 on Saturday, according to the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University.
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 30 Aug 2020
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Announces New Record High Number of COVID-19 Tests Reported to New York State New York State 30 Aug 2020
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Deploys SWAT Team to SUNY Oneonta to Contain COVID-19 Cluster New York State 30 Aug 2020
- US CDC Reports Coronavirus Deaths Increase by 1,006 to 182,149 SPA 30 Aug 2020 -- The number of deaths caused by the novel coronavirus rose by 1,006 to 182,149 people, the US Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said on Sunday, reporting a total of 5,934,824 cases, an increase of 44,292 from its previous count.
- US Drug Agency Says COVID-19 Vaccine May Be Authorised Before End of Phase 3 Trials Sputnik 30 Aug 2020 -- US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is ready to authorise a vaccine against COVID-19 before the end of phase three clinical trials if such a move proves to bring more benefits than risks, Stephen Hahn, the head of the FDA, told the Financial Times (FT) in an interview, which was published on Sunday.
- Central govt agencies condemn some troublemakers in HK for politicizing mainland aid in COVID-19 fight Global Times 30 Aug 2020 -- Upon facing defamation on the mainland's aid to help the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) combat the COVID-19 epidemic from a number of troublemakers with ulterior motives, the Hong Kong and Macao Affairs Office of China's State Council, the Liaison Office of the Central Government in HKSAR and the HKSAR government issued statements on Sunday, condemning them for being vicious with no regard for the safety and health of Hong Kong residents.
- Citywide testing poses much lower virus risk than election, HK govt explains Global Times 30 Aug 2020 -- Queues at Hong Kong's nucleic acid testing centers cannot be compared to crowds gathered for elections, as size of former is strictly controlled while the election must be completed in one day and thus poses greater virus risk, Hong Kong government said late Saturday.
- Chinese mainland reports no new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 30 Aug 2020 -- No new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases were reported Saturday across the Chinese mainland, the National Health Commission said Sunday.
- Shanghai reports 3 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 30 Aug 2020 -- Shanghai reported three new imported COVID-19 cases and no increase in domestically-transmitted cases on Saturday, the municipal health commission said Sunday.
- China's Xinjiang reports no new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 30 Aug 2020 -- No new confirmed COVID-19 cases or asymptomatic cases were reported in northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region on Saturday, the regional health commission said Sunday.
- 27 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 30 Aug 2020 -- The National Health Commission said Sunday that 27 COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland Saturday.
- Protests in European Cities Target COVID Restrictions VOA 30 Aug 2020 -- Demonstrators in several European cities Saturday rallied against restrictions that have been imposed since the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Germany's confirmed coronavirus cases rise by 785 to 241,771 SPA 30 Aug 2020 -- The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Germany increased by 785 to 241,771, data from the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) for infectious diseases showed on Sunday, Reuters reported.
- Russia's Coronavirus Infection Tally Climbs to near One Million SPA 30 Aug 2020 -- Russia reported 4,980 new coronavirus cases on Sunday, pushing its confirmed national tally up to 990,326, Reuters reported.
- India's COVID-19 tally surpasses 3.5 mln, with 78,761 new cases Global Times 30 Aug 2020 -- India's COVID-19 tally surpassed 3.5 million, rising to 3,542,733 as the death toll rose to 63,498 on Sunday, showed the latest data released by the country's health ministry.
- India's maintains its high Recovery Rate: total Recoveries cross 27 lakh India PIB 30 Aug 2020 -- With more patients recovering and being discharged from hospitals and home isolation (in case of mild and moderate cases), India's COVID-19 total recoveries have crossed 27 lakh today.
- India crosses another landmark- records highest ever tests in a single day India PIB 30 Aug 2020 -- India has crossed a crucial milestone in the fight against COVID-19. For the first time, a record number of more than 10.5 lakh COVID tests have been conducted in a single day.
- India Sets World Record for Coronavirus Infections in 24 Hours VOA 30 Aug 2020 -- India reported 78,761 new coronavirus infections in 24 hours on Sunday, the highest single day rise in the world since the pandemic began, while the county is continuing to open its economy.
- Iran registers 1,905 new COVID-19 cases, 371,816 in total Global Times 30 Aug 2020 -- Iran's COVID-19 cases on Saturday rose to 371,816 with the registration of 1,905 new infections over the past 24 hours, the Ministry of Health and Medical Education reported.
- COVID-19 kills 103 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 30 Aug 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Sunday that some 103 more Iranians have died from coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours.
- New Virus Cases in S. Korea Remain in 300s for 2nd Day SPA 30 Aug 2020 -- The number of daily new coronavirus cases in South Korea remained in the 300s today, on Saturday for the second straight day, as officials urged citizens to abide by enhanced social distancing measures, warning the coming week may be the last chance to stop a massive outbreak, Yonhap reported.
- Japan to Secure COVID-19 Vaccines by 1st Half of 2021: Abe SPA 30 Aug 2020 -- Japan will aim to secure COVID-19 vaccinations for all citizens by the first half of 2021, Kyodo cited Prime Minister Shinzo Abe as saying.
- Health Ministry Spokesperson: COVID-19 Active Cases Decreased, More than 5 Million Laboratory Tests Conducted SPA 30 Aug 2020 -- Assistant Minister of Health and Spokesperson of the Ministry of Health Dr. Mohammed Al-Abdulaali announced in a statement here today that the active cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) are decreasing, and reached 21,284, adding that the critical cases are declining.
- Positive COVID-19 case in Shanghai likely originated in U.S.: CECC CNA 30 Aug 2020 -- A Taiwanese national who recently tested positive for COVID-19 in Shanghai after arriving from Taipei was likely infected with the disease in the United States, a spokesman with the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Sunday.
- Shanghai reports another imported COVID-19 case from Taiwan CNA 30 Aug 2020 -- Shanghai reported an imported COVID-19 case from Taiwan on Sunday, the third this month, but it has not answered Taiwan's request for further details on the case, according to Taiwan's Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- COVID-19 airport tests to be changed to deep-throat saliva tests CNA 30 Aug 2020 -- Travelers arriving at airports in Taiwan who have to be tested for COVID-19 will be given deep-throat saliva tests instead of throat swab tests starting Sept. 1, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) announced Sunday.
- Thorough Measures for Maintaining Perfect Anti-epidemic State in DPRK KCNA 30 Aug 2020 -- Measures are being steadily taken across the DPRK to maintain perfect anti-epidemic state.
- Brazil's COVID-19 death toll surpasses 120,000 Global Times 30 Aug 2020 -- The Brazilian government said Saturday that 758 deaths were reported over the past 24 hours, bringing to 120,262 the national death toll from COVID-19.
- Morocco reports new 1343 coronavirus cases SPA 30 Aug 2020 -- Morocco reported new 1343 coronavirus COVID-19 cases over the past 24 hours, bringing to 61399 the number of coronavirus COVID-19 cases, authorities said.
- As many as 595 new coronavirus cases reported in Lebanon SPA 30 Aug 2020 -- Lebanon reported 595 new coronavirus COVID-19 cases during the past 24 hours, out of them 567 residents and 28 recently coming from abroad, bringing the total number of COVID-19 contractors to 16870, authorities said.
- Mexico Coronavirus Cases Rise to 591,712, Deaths Up to 63,819 SPA 30 Aug 2020 -- Mexico's health ministry today, on Saturday reported 5,974 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infections and 673 additional fatalities, bringing the total to 591,712 cases and 63,819 deaths, according to Reuters.
- Australian Religious Leaders Criticize 'Immoral' COVID-19 Vaccine Deal VOA 30 Aug 2020 -- A coronavirus deal signed by Australia with an international drug company is raising ethical concerns among prominent church leaders.
- UNHCR: COVID-19 Thrusting Nicaraguan Refugees into Hunger, Despair VOA 30 Aug 2020 -- The U.N. refugee agency says tens of thousands of Nicaraguan refugees and asylum-seekers in Costa Rica are going hungry because COVID-19 restrictions have eliminated job opportunities.
- Malawi President Bemoans Men's Laxity on COVID-19 Prevention Measures VOA 30 Aug 2020 -- Malawi president Lazarus Chakwera has asked men in Malawi to strictly follow COVID-19 preventive measures.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|