26 July 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- Portland Riots Read-out: July 26 DHS 26 Jul 2020
- Police, protesters clash in Seattle amid public outcry over US feds Press TV 26 Jul 2020 -- US police have clashed with protesters calling for an end to police brutality and racial injustice in Seattle, Washington, as President Donald Trump presses ahead with a contentious plan to deploy federal agents to major cities to quell nationwide unrest.
- US federal troops fire tear gas on peaceful protesters in Portland Press TV 26 Jul 2020 -- US federal troops have used tear gas and flash bang grenades against Black Lives Matter protesters in Portland, on the 57th consecutive day of unrest in the city.
- US' Portland Police Declare Overnight Protest a Riot, Say Conducted Arrests - Photo, Video Sputnik 26 Jul 2020 -- Police Department of Portland, a city in the US west coast Oregon state where public unrest has been on for almost two months, said in a press release on Sunday they had declared a fresh wave of protests overnight a riot and conducted arrests, with no specific number provided.
- US Racial Injustice Protests Mount VOA 26 Jul 2020 -- Protesters for racial justice took to the streets in several U.S. streets on Saturday, often clashing with police.
- US Woman Arrested, Accused of Trying to Provide Support to Al-Qaida VOA 26 Jul 2020 -- An American woman accused of attempting to provide material support to the al-Qaida terror group was arrested last week in the U.S. city of Phoenix, in the southwestern state of Arizona.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 188 WHO 26 Jul 2020
- NY Governor Says 2 Conservative Newspapers Fueling COVID Surge VOA 26 Jul 2020 -- New York Governor Andrew Cuomo is blaming the surge in coronavirus cases in Arizona, Florida and Texas on two conservative-leaning newspapers – The Wall Street Journal and The New York Post.
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 26 Jul 2020
- Coronavirus Crisis Accelerates China's Grab For Power, Influence In Central Asia RFE/RL 26 Jul 2020 -- As China's enormous economy starts to rev up again with the worst of the pandemic behind it, the desperate countries of Central Asia may find their economic - and political - futures tied to a more assertive Beijing.
- New daily cases increase for 4 consecutive days as Xinjiang expands testing Global Times 26 Jul 2020 -- Health authorities in Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region said on Sunday that they would launch a second round of large-scale testing in major districts around Urumqi to pinpoint false-negative residents.
- Officials, CDC epidemiologist slam smear over central govt's help in HK's fight against COVID-19 Global Times 26 Jul 2020 -- The Chinese central government will provide anything Hong Kong needs to deal with the COVID-19 pandemic, and one possible way would be helping to build, staff and operate makeshift hospitals to treat patients, experts said Sunday after the city saw more than 100 cases for the fifth consecutive day.
- Dalian to conduct full-scale testing after new clustered infections Global Times 26 Jul 2020 -- Dalian in Northeast China's Liaoning Province on Sunday announced it will test its six million residents to identify patients and silent carriers to curb the spread of the new COVID-19 outbreak after the infection chain has spread to another six cities.
- 19 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland Global Times 26 Jul 2020 -- The National Health Commission said Sunday that 19 COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland Saturday.
- HK economy to fare worse due to new wave of COVID-19 outbreak Global Times 26 Jul 2020 -- The economy of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) might need a longer time than expected to recover, the HKSAR's financial secretary said Sunday, citing the abrupt worsening of political, economic and trade ties between China and the US, and an intensified escalation of geopolitical tensions that add to an uncertain global economic outlook.
- HK seeks coronavirus aid from central government Global Times 26 Jul 2020 -- A number of Hong Kong pro-establishment camp representatives have sought help from the central government to aid them in battling the coronavirus at a time when the number of infected in the city is surging.
- Xinjiang reports 22 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 26 Jul 2020 -- Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region reported 22 new confirmed domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases on Saturday, the regional health commission said Sunday.
- Chinese mainland reports 46 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 26 Jul 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Sunday that it received reports of 46 new confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Saturday, 35 of which were domestically transmitted.
- Beijing allows public transport to operate at full capacity People's Daily 26 Jul 2020 -- As part of easing restrictions to control the COVID-19 epidemic, Beijing has allowed its buses and subways to operate at full capacity.
- Vice premier stresses targeted measures to curb COVID-19 in Xinjiang People's Daily 26 Jul 2020 -- Chinese Vice Premier Sun Chunlan has emphasized scientific and targeted measures to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus in northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region and to safeguard the life and health of people of all ethnic groups.
- Handover of Mobile Testing Units UK MOD 26 Jul 2020 -- Military support to the National Testing Programme will be handed over in coming weeks as the Department for Health and Social Care establishes a long-term plan to deliver Coronavirus tests.
- Anger over the government's 'shambolic'decision on Spain quarantine rule change Press TV 26 Jul 2020 -- The Department for Transport's sudden decision to impose quarantine measures on people travelling from Spain has caused confusion and outrage in equal measure.
- Spain Disputes Britain's Claim It Is Unsafe for Tourists VOA 26 Jul 2020 -- Spain is safe for tourists, it said Sunday, rebuking Britain for imposing a two-week quarantine on all travelers entering the country from Spain because of the coronavirus pandemic.
- A Chill Vacation Wind Blows Across Europe VOA 26 Jul 2020 -- Europe's airlines, hoteliers and tour operators fear abrupt changes to coronavirus travel rules by governments are killing their chances to salvage something of a wrecked vacation season.
- Germany's Confirmed Coronavirus Cases Rise by 305 to 205,269 SPA 26 Jul 2020 -- The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Germany increased by 305 to 205,269, data from the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) for infectious diseases showed on Sunday, Reuters reported.
- India's COVID-19 testing hits record high of 420,898 tests in single day Global Times 26 Jul 2020 -- For the first time, a record number of 420,898 COVID-19 tests in a single day have been conducted in India, federal health ministry said Saturday.
- Highest ever recoveries registered in a single day; more than 36,000 patients discharged India PIB 26 Jul 2020 -- Yesterday recorded the highest ever recoveries in a single day. 36,145 COVID-19 patients were cured and discharged in the last 24 hours.
- India COVID-19 death toll rises to 32,063 as total cases reach 1,385,522 People's Daily 26 Jul 2020 -- India's federal health ministry Sunday morning reported 705 more deaths and 48,661 COVID-19 cases during the past 24 hours, taking the number of deaths to 32,063 and total cases to 1,385,522.
- Iran Official Denies 'Herd Immunity' Is Government Coronavirus Policy Radio Farda 26 Jul 2020 -- Iran's deputy health minister has denied any intention to move toward "a policy of herd immunity" in regard with COVID-19, arguing that countries such as Britain and Sweden and did so "failed".
- COVID-19: Rohani Sees No Early End To Crisis; Serbia Reports Record Number Of Daily Cases RFE/RL 26 Jul 2020 -- The global death toll from the coronavirus is more than 640,000, with more than 16 million infections confirmed, causing mass disruptions as governments continue to try to slow the spread of the respiratory illness.
- Official: COVID-19 kills 216 more in Iran IRNA 26 Jul 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Sunday that some 216 more Iranians have died from coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 15,700.
- S. Korea reports 58 more COVID-19 cases, 14,150 in total People's Daily 26 Jul 2020 -- South Korea reported 58 more cases of the COVID-19 as of 0:00 a.m. Sunday local time compared to 24 hours ago, raising the total number of infections to 14,150.
- Health Ministry: 1,968 New COVID-19 Cases Reported in Saudi Arabia SPA 26 Jul 2020 -- The Ministry of Health said in a statement today that 1,968 new confirmed cases of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 266,941 cases, including 43,885 active cases receiving necessary medical care. Of these, there are 2,120 critical cases, while the health condition of the rest is stable.
- Cruise tourism resumes in Taiwan but only to domestic ports CNA 26 Jul 2020 -- A cruise ship carrying 1,200 passengers set sail from Keelung Port on Sunday, on the first commercial sea tour since Taiwan imposed travel restrictions due to the COVID-19, the Maritime and Port Bureau said.
- Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un Convenes Emergency Enlarged Meeting of Political Bureau of WPK Central Committee KCNA 26 Jul 2020 -- Amid the intensified anti-epidemic campaign for thoroughly checking the inroads of the world's threatening pandemic, an emergency event happened in Kaesong City where a runaway who went to the south three years ago, a person who is suspected to have been infected with the vicious virus returned on July 19 after illegally crossing the demarcation line.
- DPRK declares state of emergency after Kaesong city reports suspected COVID-19 case People's Daily 26 Jul 2020 -- Kim Jong Un, the top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), declared a state of emergency in Kaesong after the border city reported a suspected case of COVID-19, said Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on Sunday.
- N.Korea on alert after virus found in border city Global Times 26 Jul 2020 -- Kim Jong-un, the top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), declared a state of emergency in Kaesong after the border city reported a suspected case of COVID-19, said Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) Sunday.
- Coronavirus cases hit 16 million worldwide, fatalities at over 644K Press TV 26 Jul 2020 -- The number of people infected with the new coronavirus has now surpassed 16 million worldwide, while more than 644,000 have lost their lives due to the infection, according to a tally by Johns Hopkins University.
- UNHCR: Refugees Unlawfully Detained Amidst COVID-19 Pandemic Must Be Released VOA 26 Jul 2020 -- The U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees is warning that unlawful and arbitrary incarceration of refugees and asylum seekers is putting them and the general public at heightened risk of COVID-19. The U.N. refugee agency is calling for their urgent and immediate release.
- Turkey reports 921 new COVID-19 cases, 225,173 in total Global Times 26 Jul 2020 -- Turkey's COVID-19 cases increased by 921 to a total of 225,173 on Saturday, Turkish Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said.
- UAE Reports 351 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 26 Jul 2020 -- The UAE Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) reported 351 new confirmed cases of the Coronavirus (COVID-19), bringing up the total number to 58,913 cases.
- Algeria Extends Curfew, Quarantine Measures in 29 Provinces Sputnik 26 Jul 2020 -- The Algerian authorities have extended the COVID-19 curfew and quarantine restrictions in 29 provinces out of 48 for 15 days, according to the office of Prime Minister Abdelaziz Djerad.
- Moroccan Authorities to Restrict Movement in 8 Largest Cities Due to COVID-19 Spike Sputnik 26 Jul 2020 -- Moroccan authorities announced a ban on entry and exit from eight cities of the kingdom due to an increase in COVID-19 cases.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|