25 June 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- U.S. Adds Afghanistan To List Of Worst Human Traffickers Over Child Sexual Slavery, Child Soldiers RFE/RL 25 Jun 2020 -- The U.S. State Department has added Afghanistan to a list of nations doing little to stop human trafficking, saying Kabul has failed to properly address child sexual slavery and the recruitment of child soldiers.
- Remarks at the 2020 Trafficking in Persons Report Launch Ceremony US Dept. of State 25 Jun 2020 -- Remarks by Michael R. Pompeo, Secretary of State, Ivanka Trump, Advisor to the President, John Cotton Richmond, Ambassador-at-Large, Office to Monitor and Combat Trafficking in Persons
- Iran Is 'Foremost Sponsor of Terrorism', US Report Says Radio Farda 25 Jun 2020 -- In its annual Country Reports on Terrorism on June 24, the U.S. State Department has classified the Islamic Republic as the "foremost state sponsor of terrorism," maintaining that Iran provides "a range of support, including financial, training, and equipment, to [terrorist] groups around the world – particularly Hezbollah."
- Pakistani PM Says Americans 'Martyred' Osama Bin Laden VOA 25 Jun 2020 -- Pakistan's Prime Minister Imran Khan has come under severe criticism for saying in a nationally televised speech to the parliament Thursday that al-Qaida chief Osama bin Laden had been "martyred."
- Pakistan's Khan Under Fire For Calling Osama Bin Laden A 'Martyr' RFE/RL 25 Jun 2020 -- Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan has drawn sharp criticism after he called slain Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden a martyr.
- DRC Ebola Outbreak Officially Ends, as Coronavirus Surges on African Continent VOA 25 Jun 2020 -- Amid a global pandemic, a glimmer of hope: The Democratic Republic of Congo has officially beaten its tenth Ebola outbreak, which raged for two years in the nation's volatile east. As top international health officials welcomed the news, they noted lessons learned in the Ebola battle that can be used to fight the coronavirus, which they say is surging on the continent.
- DR Congo: eastern Ebola outbreak defeated, 'mission impossible' now a 'sign of hope' UN News 25 Jun 2020 -- After nearly two years and 2,280 deaths, the world's second-deadliest Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) is finally over, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Thursday.
- National Guard in US Capital Ready to Help Police Protect Monuments, Pentagon Says Sputnik 25 Jun 2020 -- About 400 US National Guardsmen in the nation's capital are prepared to help support the police in their mission to protect federal monuments from being destroyed by protesters, Pentagon spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Chris Mitchell said.
- Pentagon Extends Mission at Mexico Border, But Decreases Number of Troops VOA 25 Jun 2020 -- The Pentagon will put up to 4,000 troops at the U.S. southern border with Mexico from this October through September 2021, a move that will decrease the overall number of troops there while extending the mission another year.
- Microsoft Details Sophisticated Hacking Linked To Iranian Cyber Espionage Group Radio Farda 25 Jun 2020 -- The Microsoft Threat Protection Intelligence Team has identified a chain of attacks on its cloud service in a post published on June 18.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 157 WHO 25 Jun 2020
- WHO warns of global shortage of oxygen equipment Press TV 25 Jun 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) has warned that hospitals worldwide are facing a shortage of oxygen concentrators due to rising demand amid a surge in coronavirus cases.
- IMF revises down global economy forecast amid mounting COVID-19 fallout, warning of record debt levels People's Daily 25 Jun 2020 -- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) on Wednesday revised down its forecast for the global economy amid mounting COVID-19 fallout, warning of record debt levels in both advanced and emerging markets and developing economies.
- COVID-19 cases worldwide to reach 10 mln next week: WHO People's Daily 25 Jun 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) said Wednesday that the number of COVID-19 cases worldwide is expected to reach 10 million within the next week, while underlining the vital role of oxygen concentrators in saving lives of severe and critical patients.
- UN tallies action so far to fight COVID-19, and roadmap out of the pandemic UN News 25 Jun 2020 -- Amid the upheaval caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, the UN has mobilized to save lives, control transmission of the virus and ease the economic fallout, Secretary-General António Guterres told journalists on Thursday, speaking at the virtual launch of his report on the Organization's response to the crisis
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 25 Jun 2020
- Remarks by Vice President Pence on Opening Up America Again | Lordstown, OH The White House 25 Jun 2020
- US Breaks Record for Largest Single-Day Increase in COVID-19 Cases Sputnik 25 Jun 2020 -- The US on Wednesday saw its highest number of new COVID-19 cases in a single day, 36,880, since the outbreak began, according to a national tally maintained by the New York Times.
- New Coronavirus Infections in US Near Record High VOA 25 Jun 2020 -- The number of new single-day coronavirus infections in the U.S. is near record highs as the government revealed more than 20 million people in the U.S. could have contracted the virus.
- 3 US States Issue Quarantine Orders for Visitors from States Hit Hard by COVID-19 VOA 25 Jun 2020 -- The northeastern U.S. state of New York, which bore the initial brunt of the novel coronavirus pandemic, is requiring visitors from eight states to enter into a two-week quarantine period.
- U.S. New Orleans mayor calls for abiding by guidelines as COVID-19 cases increase Global Times 25 Jun 2020 -- As the U.S. city of New Orleans sees an increasing number of COVID-19 cases, Mayor LaToya Cantrell on Wednesday urged people to abide by guidelines or the city will face another shutdown.
- Navy Establishes COVID-19 Surveillance Testing Program NNS 25 Jun 2020 -- The U.S. Navy established a surveillance testing program, called Sentinel Surveillance Testing (SST), to test asymptomatic service members for COVID-19 June 25. This testing will enable the service to detect asymptomatic COVID-positive individuals, assist in bounding an outbreak, and detect any potential second wave or resurgence of the disease early.
- Governor Cuomo Announces Hospitalizations Drop below 1,000 for First Time since March 18 New York State 25 Jun 2020
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Announces New York at Lowest Hospitalization Rate since Beginning of COVID-19 Pandemic New York State 25 Jun 2020
- U.S. state of California reports another record high of new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 25 Jun 2020 -- U.S. state of California reported 7,149 new cases of COVID-19 over a 24-hour span on Wednesday, shattering the daily record for new infections for a second straight day.
- US hits highest single-day total in coronavirus cases Press TV 25 Jun 2020 -- The US states of California, Texas and Florida have reported a record number of new cases of coronavirus infection in one day as hospitals beds are filling up again, with experts warning about a sharp surge in COVID-19 cases across the country.
- Beijing vows to further expand scope of COVID-19 nucleic acid testing Global Times 25 Jun 2020 -- Beijing has vowed to further expand its scope of nucleic acid testing for the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in the fight against the second wave of the virus, local government said on Wednesday.
- Beijing's food market COVID-19 spread "basically controlled" People's Daily 25 Jun 2020 -- Beijing's recent COVID-19 infections related to the Xinfadi food market is "basically under control," a municipal official said on Wednesday.
- China's Hebei reports 1 new confirmed COVID-19 case People's Daily 25 Jun 2020 -- North China's Hebei Province reported one new confirmed domestically transmitted COVID-19 case on Wednesday, the provincial health commission said Thursday.
- China's daily nucleic acid testing capacity tops 3 mln: official People's Daily 25 Jun 2020 -- China currently can offer 3.78 million nucleic acid tests for COVID-19 every day, a 200-percent increase from March, a health official said Wednesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 5 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 25 Jun 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported five new imported COVID-19 cases Wednesday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,893, the National Health Commission said Thursday.
- Chinese mainland reports 19 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 25 Jun 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Thursday that it received reports of 19 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Wednesday, of whom 14 were domestically transmitted and five were imported.
- China's inactivated COVID-19 vaccine starts phase-3 clinical trial internationally People's Daily 25 Jun 2020 -- China's inactivated COVID-19 vaccine candidate has started its phase-3 clinical trial globally in the United Arab Emirates, according to the vaccine developer China National Biotec Group (CNBG).
- WHO Expresses Concern over New Surge of Coronavirus Spread, in Europe SPA 25 Jun 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) expressed here today concern over the new surge, raising the numbers of contracting the Novel Coronavirus, in Europe, and towards health systems, in case that the new spread begun following the lifting of isolation constraints, does not be put under control.
- UPDATES ON COVID-19 India PIB 25 Jun 2020
- COVID-19 kills another 134 Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 25 Jun 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Thursday that some 134 more Iranians have died of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 10,130.
- Coronavirus Infection Rate Is 40 Percent In Two Iran Provinces Radio Farda 25 Jun 2020 -- Iran's Deputy Minister of Health announced June 24 that "forty percent of residents in the provinces of Qom and Gilan have contracted the coronavirus, while the number in Tehran is about fifteen percent.
- Health Ministry: 5,085 New Recoveries, 3,372 Confirmed Cases Reported, in Saudi Arabia SPA 25 Jun 2020 -- The Ministry of Health said in a statement announced here today that 3,372 new confirmed cases of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 170,639 cases, including 51,325 active cases receiving medical treatment, including 2,206 critical cases, while the health condition of the rest is stable.
- 9 Saudi Factories Produce 2.5 Million Masks Daily SPA 25 Jun 2020 -- As a precautionary measure taken by the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to reduce the outbreak of "COVID-19", masks became obligatory and necessary products to prevent infection.
- Taiwan reports one new imported COVID-19 case, bringing total to 447 CNA 25 Jun 2020 -- One new imported case of COVID-19 was confirmed in Taiwan on Thursday, bringing the total number of cases in the country to 447, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Japanese student with COVID-19 a 'weak positive,' likely not contagious CNA 25 Jun 2020 -- A Japanese woman studying in Taiwan who tested positive for COVID-19 after returning to Japan had low amounts of the virus in her body and was likely not contagious, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Thursday.
- Australian military deployed to assist with state virus outbreak Global Times 25 Jun 2020 -- The Australian Defence Force (ADF) will deploy over 1,000 military personnel to the state of Victoria to help contain an outbreak of COVID-19, authorities announced Thursday.
- Australia Sends In Military to Help Curb COVID-19 Surge VOA 25 Jun 2020 -- Australia's military is being called in to help the state of Victoria cope with a sharp rise in coronavirus cases. Authorities have reported a spike in COVID-19 infections in the past week and have urged residents not to leave several disease hot spots in Melbourne.
- Deputy Secretary General Geoană at Jagello Conference: Health and economic downturn should not become a security crisis NATO 25 Jun 2020 -- Deputy Secretary General Mircea Geoană delivered a virtual address to the Jagello Security Conference on Thursday (25 June 2020) and commended the Czech Republic for its generous support to Allies during the COVID 19 pandemic, including with donations of medical equipment to Italy, Spain, and North Macedonia.
- US, Europe, Japan Space Agencies Announce COVID-19 'Dashboard' VOA 25 Jun 2020 -- The U.S. space agency NASA and its European and Japanese counterparts (ESA, JAXA) announced Thursday the launching of the COVID-19 Earth Observation Dashboard, a web-based collection of satellite data from all three agencies documenting how the coronavirus pandemic has changed the planet.
- Rohingya Refugee Children Fear Death from COVID-19, Survey Finds Radio Free Asia 25 Jun 2020 -- Nearly all Rohingya children living in refugee camps in Bangladesh are aware of COVID-19 and about 40 percent are afraid of dying of the disease or losing a family member to it, a new survey by Save the Children said.
- COVID-19's far reaching impact on global drug abuse UN News 25 Jun 2020 -- More than 35 million people around the world now suffer from drug addiction, according to the latest annual report on the scourge, from the UN Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) released on Thursday, which also analyzes the far-reaching impact of the coronavirus pandemic on global drug markets.
- WHO expert says COVID-19 "has not peaked" in Americas People's Daily 25 Jun 2020 -- A World Health Organization (WHO) expert said on Wednesday that the COVID-19 pandemic has not reached its peak in the Americas and the region is likely to see continued deaths in the coming weeks.
- Kazakh Health Minister Replaced As Coronavirus Cases Surge RFE/RL 25 Jun 2020 -- Kazakh President Qasym-Zhomart Toqaev has replaced the Central Asian nation's health minister amid a surge in coronavirus cases and renewed lockdowns.
- COVID-19: Kyrgyzstan Considering Renewed State Of Emergency RFE/RL 25 Jun 2020 -- The global death toll from the coronavirus is over 480,000, with more than 9.4 million infections confirmed, causing mass disruptions as governments continue to try to slow the spread of the respiratory illness.
- Senegal President Self-Quarantining After Being Exposed to COVID-19 VOA 25 Jun 2020 -- Senegalese President Macky Sall is self-quarantining as a precaution after coming in contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19.
- South Africa Takes Part in Human Trial for Potential COVID-19 Vaccine VOA 25 Jun 2020 -- South Africa is taking part in Africa's first human trials aimed at producing a potential vaccine against the novel coronavirus, which continues to surge in the country.
- Cameroon's Poor Benefit, While Food Traders Suffer from Pandemic Closures VOA 25 Jun 2020 -- Cameroon says the temporary closure of most restaurants and border trade during the COVID-19 pandemic has dropped food prices by up to 70 percent. While food sellers are suffering the lost income, cheaper prices have helped some of Cameroon's poorest to cope during the economic disruption.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|