02 June 2020 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
Other Security News
- Statement by Assistant to the Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs on Support to Civil Authorities DoD 02 Jun 2020 -- "The Department of Defense moved multiple active duty Army units into the National Capital Region as a prudent planning measure in response to ongoing support to civil authorities operations."
- Department of Defense Statements on the Department's Response to Civil Unrest DoD 02 Jun 2020 -- Statements by Jonathan Rath Hoffman, Assistant To The Secretary Of Defense For Public Affairs and General Joseph L. Lengyel, Chief, National Guard Bureau
- Department of Defense Officials Brief Reporters on the Department's Response to Civil Unrest DoD 02 Jun 2020 -- Two Senior Defense Officials
- Pentagon Answers Criticism Amid Protests Across US VOA 02 Jun 2020 -- The Pentagon is answering criticism following comments by the secretary of defense referring to U.S. protests as a "battlespace" and concern about top Pentagon leaders accompanying the president for a photo opportunity after peaceful protesters were dispersed with tear gas near the White House.
- US House Committee Demands Testimony From Pentagon on Using Military Against Protesters Sputnik 02 Jun 2020 -- US House Armed Services Committee Chairman Adam Smith on Tuesday called on Pentagon leaders to testify about deploying military forces to quell protests across the country.
- Trump Threatens Wide Use of Military Force Against Protesters VOA 02 Jun 2020 -- President Donald Trump is threatening to use the military to end "the riots and lawlessness" that have broken out across the United States following the death of a black man in police custody, prompting harsh criticism from political opponents including likely presidential nominee Joe Biden, who expressed concern "for the very soul of our country."
- Trump Vows End to US Violence; Biden Says Country Needs 'Leadership' VOA 02 Jun 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has vowed to end "the riots and lawlessness" across the country, but clashes between police and protesters erupted for a seventh night Monday even as big city mayors imposed curfews to keep people off the streets and National Guard troops were deployed to quell the violence.
- Attorney General William P. Barr's Statement on Protests in Washington, D.C. US Dept. of Justice 02 Jun 2020
- US riots may cause new COVID-19 cases: expert Global Times 02 Jun 2020 -- Massive protests across the US over the death of George Floyd will almost certainly add fuel to the fire of the country's already severe coronavirus outbreak, a US expert predicted, while pointing out that there is a causality between the viral outbreak and the ongoing protests.
- Trump threatens use of military to quell nationwide unrest over Floyd's death People's Daily 02 Jun 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday threatened the deployment of the military to quell the nationwide protests over the death of George Floyd, the black man who died in police custody last week in Minneapolis.
- Biden slams Trump for his response to protests over racism, police brutality Press TV 02 Jun 2020 -- US Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden has blasted President Donald Trump response to protests over racism and police brutality, saying Trump's "narcissism has become more important than the nation that he leads."
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 134 WHO 02 Jun 2020
- COVID-19 has not changed in terms of transmissibility or severity: WHO officials People's Daily 02 Jun 2020 -- Officials of the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Monday that COVID-19 has not changed either in its transmissibility or severity, and that more efforts are needed to suppress transmission and save lives.
- WHO warns of disturbing rates of antimicrobial resistance during COVID-19 pandemic People's Daily 02 Jun 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus on Monday warned that the world is "losing its ability" to use critically important antimicrobial medicines.
- World's coronavirus cases at 6.27mn, life returning to normal in many countries Press TV 02 Jun 2020 -- The number of COVID-19 cases across the world has reached 6,273,402, while life is gradually returning to normal in many countries with the relaxation of coronavirus restrictions.
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 02 Jun 2020
- Doctor at Whistleblowing Wuhan Hospital Dies After Battle With COVID-19 Radio Free Asia 02 Jun 2020 -- Wuhan doctor Hu Weifeng, a colleague of late whistleblowing doctor Li Wenliang, died of coronavirus on Tuesday, state media reported.
- Wuhan spends approximately $127 million on citywide nucleic test campaign Global Times 02 Jun 2020 -- Wuhan spent approximately 900 million yuan ($126.58 million) on its city-wide nucleic test campaign, and the expense will be shouldered by Wuhan govt, said Hu Yabo, executive deputy mayor of Wuhan.
- Wuhan tests 10m people in 10 days, nears completion of citywide testing drive People's Daily 02 Jun 2020 -- About two weeks ago, Wuhan, the former epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in China, launched a citywide campaign to test all 11 million of its residents in ten days after six new cases emerged in a residential community earlier in May, breaking a 35-day streak of zero cases in the city.
- China's Hubei reports no new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 02 Jun 2020 -- Central China's Hubei Province reported no new confirmed COVID-19 cases and asymptomatic cases on Monday, the provincial health commission said Tuesday.
- China steps up inactivated COVID-19 vaccine development People's Daily 02 Jun 2020 -- China's inactivated COVID-19 vaccine is expected to finish clinical trials and get ready for the market as early as the end of this year or early next year, according to developer China National Biotec Group (CNBG).
- Chinese mainland reports no new domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 02 Jun 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Tuesday that no new domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases were reported on the Chinese mainland on Monday.
- Can 'Corona Detectives' Vanquish the Virus? VOA 02 Jun 2020 -- European countries have recruited armies of "corona detectives" – contact-tracers tasked with trying to avert a second wave of infections. But tracing the contacts of people recently infected with the coronavirus and persuading them to self-isolate is proving to be no easy mission.
- Netherlands reopens restaurants, cinemas as COVID-19 death toll remains low Global Times 02 Jun 2020 -- The Netherlands reopened restaurants, cafes, theaters, concert halls, museums and cinemas on Monday after two and a half months' COVID-19 lockdown.
- UK deaths top 39,000, Italy records lowest new cases since Feb. 27 People's Daily 02 Jun 2020 -- UK COVID-19 deaths top 39,000 as another 111 patients die;
- Department of Health concedes coronavirus disproportionately affects ethnic minorities Press TV 02 Jun 2020 -- After months of anecdotal evidence and media-led speculation, the British government has finally officially admitted that the coronavirus has a disproportionate impact on ethnic minorities.
- Germany's Confirmed Coronavirus Cases Rise by 213 to 182,028 SPA 02 Jun 2020 -- The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Germany increased by 213 to 182,028, data from the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) for infectious diseases showed on Tuesday, according to Reuters.
- France Releases Contact-Tracing StopCovid App VOA 02 Jun 2020 -- French citizens are among the first to be able to download the government-sponsored StopCovid app as the government begins coronavirus contact tracing through cell phones.
- COVID-19 Declining in Western Europe, Still Rising in East VOA 02 Jun 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) said Tuesday that COVID-19 is on a slow but steady decline in most of western Europe but remains on the rise in Russia and parts of eastern Europe.
- Russia's Coronavirus Case Tally Rises to More Than 423,000 SPA 02 Jun 2020 -- Russia reported 8,863 new cases of the novel coronavirus on Tuesday, pushing its nationwide tally to 423,741, the world's third highest reported total, according to Reuters.
- UPDATES ON COVID-19 India PIB 02 Jun 2020
- India Reports 8171 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 02 Jun 2020 -- India reported 8171 COVID-19 new cases in the previous 24 hours, taking the total number of infections to 198706 cases, according to Reuters.
- Some 64 more Iranians die from COVID-19 over past 24 hours IRNA 02 Jun 2020 -- Some 64 Iranians died from coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours so that the country's total COVID-19 deaths mounted to 7942, Head of Iranian Health Ministry's Public Relations Office Kianoush Jahanpour said on Tuesday.
- New COVID-19 Cases Soar To Record Highs In Iran After Two-Month Drop Radio Farda 02 Jun 2020 -- According to the latest official statistics on Tuesday, the number of new COVID-19 cases in Iran has considerably increased to the highest level in the past two months prompting Health Minister Saeed Namaki to warn that "circumstances are not normal".
- Tokyo Issues Warning for COVID Resurgence VOA 02 Jun 2020 -- Tokyo Governor Yuriko Koike has issued a warning in the city for a possible resurgence of the coronavirus.
- COVID-19 Committee Holds 96th Meeting SPA 02 Jun 2020 -- Under the chairmanship of Health Minister Dr. Tawfiq bin Fawzan Al-Rabiah, the COVID-19 Follow-up Committee held its 96th meeting today, in the presence of the members of the Committee representing a number of the relevant governmental entities.
- No new COVID-19 cases reported in Taiwan Tuesday CNA 02 Jun 2020 -- No new cases of the new coronavirus COVID-19 were reported in Taiwan on Tuesday, leaving the total number of cases at 443 since the outbreak emerged late last year, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Health of public priority in border opening plan: MOFA CNA 02 Jun 2020 -- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) gave its assurance Tuesday that the country's health will remain a priority amid the COVID-19 pandemic when the government discusses mutual relaxation of border restrictions with other countries.
- Bangladesh Records First Rohingya COVID-19 Death Radio Free Asia 02 Jun 2020 -- A 71-year-old Rohingya man who died on the weekend has posthumously tested positive for COVID-19, becoming the first resident of crowded refugee camps in southeastern Bangladesh known to have succumbed to the disease, health officials said Tuesday.
- First Rohingya Refugee in Bangladesh Dies of Coronavirus VOA 02 Jun 2020 -- Bangladesh has confirmed the first coronavirus death among the nearly one million Rohingyas living in the country's overcrowded refugee camps.
- Yemen: new UK aid will help stop the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) UK FCO 02 Jun 2020 -- A new package of funding for Yemen is to be announced today by the Foreign Secretary.
- COVID-19: Armenia Sees Growth In Cases Amid Lockdown Easing RFE/RL 02 Jun 2020 -- The global death toll from the coronavirus is more than 375,000 with more than 6.2 million infections confirmed, causing mass disruptions as governments continue to try to slow the spread of the new respiratory illness.
- UAE Health Ministry Announces 596 New Coronavirus Cases SPA 02 Jun 2020 -- The Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) on Tuesday detected 596 new coronavirus cases, bringing the total number of cases in the UAE to 35,788, Emirates News Agency (WAM) reported.
- Oman Reports 576 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 02 Jun 2020 -- The Omani Ministry of Health reported today 576 new coronavirus cases, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the Sultanate of Oman to 12,800.
- Indonesia Reports 609 New Coronavirus Cases, 22 Deaths SPA 02 Jun 2020 -- Indonesia reported 609 new coronavirus cases on Tuesday, taking the total number in the Southeast Asian country to 27,549, said health ministry official Achmad Yurianto.
- Morocco Reports 26 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 02 Jun 2020 -- Morocco today reported 26 new coronavirus cases, bringing the total number of infections to 7859, while the fatalities' tally increased to 205 after recording just one new case of death, according to Morocco Press Agency (MAP).
- Kuwait confirms 887 more coronavirus cases, 6 fatalities SPA 02 Jun 2020 -- The Kuwaiti Ministry of Health announced 887 new coronavirus (COVID-19) infections in the last 24 hours, bringing the total to 28649, while six deaths were reported as well, bringing the fatalities' toll up to 226, Kuwait News Agency (KUNA) reported.
- Malaysia Reports 20 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 02 Jun 2020 -- Malaysia today reported 20 new coronavirus cases, bringing the total number of infections in the country to 7,877 according to Reuters.
- Tunisia Reports 2 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 02 Jun 2020 -- The Tunisian Ministry of Health reported, during the past 24 hours, 2 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), according to Tunis Afrique Presse (TAP).
- Singapore Reports 544 New Coronavirus Cases SPA 02 Jun 2020 -- Singapore confirmed 544 new COVID-19 cases on Tuesday, its health ministry said, taking the city-state's total to 35,836, Reuters reported.
- Kenyan Capital's Water Shortage Raises COVID-19 Risk VOA 02 Jun 2020 -- Some parts of Kenya's capital have been without running water for weeks, after a landslide destroyed a water pipe, making frequent hand washing for coronavirus prevention a challenge. Water distribution points have been set up to help tens of thousands of Kenyans cope.
- Malawi COVID-19 Cases Rise as Citizens Return from South Africa VOA 02 Jun 2020 -- Malawi is seeing a surge in COVID-19 cases as citizens return from South Africa, the country hit harder than any other in Africa. Hundreds of returnees are expected to arrive in Malawi this week, raising fears the figures will increase even more.
- Rwanda Set to Announce New COVID-19 Restrictions VOA 02 Jun 2020 -- Rwanda says it will announce new restrictions on containing the coronavirus Tuesday, a stark reversal of the country's plan days ago to ease restrictions, including motor vehicle travel throughout the country.
- New Zealand Could Lift Major Coronavirus Restrictions Next Week VOA 02 Jun 2020 -- New Zealand leaders could decide as early as next week to lift restrictions on social distancing and group gatherings due to the country's success in halting the spread of the coronavirus.
- Mexico City Moves Ahead with Reopening with New Protocols VOA 02 Jun 2020 -- Mexico City moves into the second day of its reopening as national officials warn the capital remains at "maximum risk" for COVID-19 after two months of restrictions to slow the spread of the virus.
Myanmar / Rohingya
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|