16 April 2020 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 87 WHO 16 Apr 2020
- Int'l community regrets Trump administration's decision to halt funding to WHO People's Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- The international community has regretted U.S. President Donald Trump's decision to suspend funding to the World Health Organization (WHO), voicing support for and highlighting the organization's crucial role in guiding global efforts to combat the coronavirus pandemic.
- U.S. defunding WHO amid world health crisis, drawing criticism People's Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- With a rise of 2,494 over the past 24 hours, the U.S. death toll from COVID-19 has reached 28,364 Wednesday, as the total confirmed cases amounted to nearly 640,000, according to Johns Hopkins University's tally.
- Trump faces intense blowback over decision to defund WHO amid coronavirus pandemic People's Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump faced intense blowback on Wednesday due to his decision to withhold the nation's funding to the World Health Organization (WHO) in the middle of the global COVID-19 pandemic.
- WHO chief says "regret" U.S. decision to halt funding to WHO People's Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus on Wednesday said the WHO regretted the U.S. decision to halt its funding to the WHO.
- WHO chief says pandemic response to be reviewed "in due course" People's Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus on Wednesday said that WHO's performance in tackling the COVID-19 pandemic will be reviewed by WHO's member states "in due course."
- President Donald J. Trump Announces Guidelines for Opening Up America Again The White House 16 Apr 2020
- Remarks by President Trump, Vice President Pence, and Members of the Coronavirus Task Force in Press Briefing The White House 16 Apr 2020
- Army Senior Leaders Update on the Army's Response to COVID-19 DoD 16 Apr 2020 -- Secretary Ryan D. McCarthy, Secretary Of The Army; General James McConville, Chief Of Staff Of The Army; Sergeant Major Of The Army Michael Grinston; Lieutenant General R. Scott Dingle, Surgeon General Of The Army; Lieutenant General Charles A. Flynn, Director Of Operations And Plans, Headquarters Department Of The Army
- White House Targeting 9 States to Start Reopening US Economy VOA 16 Apr 2020 -- The White House is targeting nine U.S. states that have recorded the fewest number of confirmed coronavirus cases to be among the first to reopen their economies.
- NY Army National Guard Soldiers move vital medical supplies Army News 16 Apr 2020 -- At a hangar at Stewart Air National Guard Base, Soldiers assigned to the New York Army National Guard's 1569th Medium Transportation Company are tracking, processing and distributing medical supplies across the Hudson Valley."Right now we have over 3,000 temporary beds, 200 ventilators, 10 million masks, and over 4 million gloves," said Army Sgt. 1st Class Javier Rodriguez, the noncommissioned officer in charge of logistics. "We're a distribution warehouse and we're out sending a lot of personal protection equipment to nurses, hospitals and anyone in need."
- Kentucky Guard builds COVID-19 alternate care facility Army News 16 Apr 2020 -- More than 230 Kentucky National Guard Airmen and Soldiers spent four days turning a cavernous exhibit hall into an alternate care facility for patients recovering from COVID-19.
- NY National Guard executes somber duties in NYC Army News 16 Apr 2020 -- The toughest COVID-19 mission facing the New York National Guard falls on 255 Soldiers and Airmen supporting New York City's Office of the Chief Medical Examiner (OCME), according to Army Maj. Gen. Ray Shields, the adjutant general of New York.
- Army using special tracking teams to control the spread of COVID-19 Army News 16 Apr 2020 -- The Army has begun using special teams that help track and identify people with coronavirus at installations, an Army leader said Wednesday.
- U.S. coronavirus death toll exceeds 30,000 - Johns Hopkins University People's Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- The total number of deaths of COVID-19 in the United States topped 30,000 as of 11:30 p.m. local time on Wednesday (0330 GMT on Thursday), according to the data compiled by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University.
- Rush Transcript: Amid Ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic, Governor Cuomo Announces 'NYS on PAUSE' Extended until May 15 New York State 16 Apr 2020
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 16 Apr 2020
- Coronavirus kills far more US health workers than official data suggests Press TV 16 Apr 2020 -- US health officials say the true number of healthcare workers contracted COVID-19 or lost their lives is certainly far higher than the latest data.
- US records highest coronavirus death toll for second straight day Press TV 16 Apr 2020 -- US coronavirus deaths increased by a record number for the second straight day, rising by at least 2,371 on Wednesday to 30,885, the heaviest daily toll of any country.
- US Navy Says 94% of Crew on Aircraft Carrier Roosevelt Tested, 655 Have COVID-19 Sputnik 16 Apr 2020 -- Nine-four percent of the crew on the aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt have been tested for the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) revealing that 655 have contracted the virus, the US Navy said in a press release on Thursday.
- Briefing With Dr. William Walters, Deputy Chief Medical Officer for Operations, Bureau of Medical Services; Deputy Assistant Secretary Hugo Yon, Bureau of Economic and Business Affairs; and Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary Ian Brownlee, Bureau of Consular Affairs On COVID-19: Updates on Health Impact and Assistance for American Citizens Abroad US Dept. of State 16 Apr 2020
- Air Force update for COVID-19 US Air Force 16 Apr 2020
- China Push For COVID-19 Praise Backfires in US Amid Rising WHO Criticism Radio Free Asia 16 Apr 2020 -- A campaign by Chinese consular staff to press the legislature of the U.S. state of Wisconsin to pass a resolution praising China's handling of the COVID-19 outbreak – written by China – backfired spectacularly, inspiring a motion that says Beijing "deliberately and intentionally misled the world."
- Pentagon Chief Claims Chinese Communist Party Was Misleading US About Coronavirus Sputnik 16 Apr 2020 -- The Trump administration previously accused Beijing of covering up crucial data at the beginning of the pandemic, while the US Senate has investigated allegations that the UN World Health Organisation (WHO) helped China carry out the alleged coverup.
- Beijing Says There is 'No Scientific Evidence' in Claims About COVID-19 Leak From Wuhan Laboratory Sputnik 16 Apr 2020 -- A version of events circulating in US media that COVID-19 allegedly leaked from a laboratory in Wuhan has no scientific evidence behind it, Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesman Zhao Lijian said.
- Coronavirus origin a scientific question, no evidence shows virus made in lab: FM Global Times 16 Apr 2020 -- The origin and transmission pattern of the novel coronavirus are a scientific question and should be left to scientists and medical experts to study, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian reiterated at a press conference on Thursday, in response to US media Fox New's report on the coronavirus being from "Wuhan laboratory."
- China donates COVID-19 test kits to Syria Global Times 16 Apr 2020 -- China on Wednesday donated 2,016 COVID-19 test kits to the Syria to help its fight against the novel coronavirus.
- China to focus on asymptomatic patients as 50% of confirmed cases show no symptoms: top medical expert Global Times 16 Apr 2020 -- China still faces challenges from imported coronavirus cases and asymptomatic patients, which are now two major focuses, especially as about 50 percent of patients do not show clinical symptoms like fever, Zhong Nanshan, the country's top medical expert, told a videoconference with European medical experts on Thursday.
- Xi approves Chinese military medical teams to leave Hubei as mission completed Global Times 16 Apr 2020 -- The military medical teams sent to Central China's Hubei Province to fight against the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) have completed their mission and are returning home, and Chinese military experts noted that this professional and advanced force which specialized in fighting the pandemic could be deployed to any other place in need once they receive new orders.
- 1 in 5 asymptomatic patients show symptoms in China, but experts play down infection risk Global Times 16 Apr 2020 -- Asymptomatic infections remain a challenge for China but there is no need to be overly concerned about another wave of COVID-19 infections caused by silent coronavirus carriers, health officials and experts said on Thursday.
- Harbin anti-epidemic team criticized after clustered COVID-19 infections found Global Times 16 Apr 2020 -- Officials in charge of anti-epidemic work in Harbin, capital of Northeast China's Heilongjiang Province, have been criticized for failing to control the spread of COVID-19 following recent clusters of infections. The province had previously gone consecutive 29 days without new infections.
- Guangzhou gets tough on foreigners who violate laws amid epidemic Global Times 16 Apr 2020 -- Police in South China's Guangzhou on Thursday said they will strengthen law enforcement on foreigners' cases related to the COVID-19 epidemic.
- Chinese medical experts arrive in Saudi Arabia to help fight COVID-19 Global Times 16 Apr 2020 -- A team of Chinese medical experts arrived in Saudi Arabia's capital Riyadh on Wednesday to assist the kingdom in combating COVID-19, or the novel coronavirus.
- Shanghai reports 6 imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- Shanghai reported six imported cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on Wednesday, the municipal health commission said Thursday.
- China's Hubei reports no increase in COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- No new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were reported in central China's Hubei Province Wednesday, local health authority said Thursday.
- 76 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- A total of 76 patients of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were discharged from hospitals Wednesday on the Chinese mainland, according to the National Health Commission.
- Chinese mainland reports 34 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported 34 new imported cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Wednesday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,534, the National Health Commission said Thursday.
- Chinese mainland reports 46 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Thursday that it received reports of 46 new confirmed COVID-19 cases on the mainland Wednesday, of which 34 were imported.
- China's Heilongjiang reports 20 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- Northeast China's Heilongjiang Province on Wednesday reported four new confirmed COVID-19 cases transmitted locally and 16 new confirmed cases from overseas, the provincial health commission said Thursday.
- Beijing reports one new imported COVID-19 case People's Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- Beijing reported one new confirmed case of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) from the United States on Tuesday, bringing the total number of imported cases in the national capital to 174, a local health official said Wednesday.
- China's management of asymptomatic coronavirus cases effective: official People's Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- Measures taken to manage asymptomatic coronavirus cases in China have proved to be effective, a health official said Wednesday.
- Foreign nationals infected with COVID-19 should be treated before paying cost: Chinese authorities People's Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- Authorities have made it clear in a notification that foreign nationals on the Chinese mainland confirmed or suspected of being infected with COVID-19 should be treated before paying for medical expenses.
- Chinese medical teams head to Ethiopia, Burkina Faso for fight against COVID-19 PLA Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- Chinese medical experts on Thursday set off to Ethiopia and Burkina Faso to support the African countries' fight against COVID-19, said Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian.
- China rejects Trump's virus remarks, says no evidence COVID-19 made in lab Press TV 16 Apr 2020 -- China's foreign ministry has rejected recent remarks by US President Donald Trump and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo that the novel coronavirus was first made in a lab in the city of Wuhan.
- French Navy Opens Probe Into Flagship Coronavirus Contamination Sputnik 16 Apr 2020 -- The French navy has opened a probe into an outbreak of the new coronavirus abroad its flagship aircraft carrier the Charles de Gaulle, the Defence Ministry has said.
- Around 20 Sailors Are in Hospital After Coronavirus Outbreak on Charles de Gaulle Ship - French Navy Sputnik 16 Apr 2020 -- The initial tests, conducted earlier this month confirmed at least 50 cases of COVID-19 among the crew of the French flagship.
- Diplomatic spat continues between France and China over COVID-19 response Press TV 16 Apr 2020 -- A diplomatic spat is widening between France and China over an article on the website of the Chinese Embassy in Paris criticizing the West's handling of the COVID-19 epidemic.
- In France and Elsewhere, Making Face Masks Becomes a Mission VOA 16 Apr 2020 -- Among the rolling vineyards of France's southwestern Gironde region, osteopath Chloe Chancelier has found a new calling as she organizes a small volunteer army to sew cotton masks for health workers.
- Britain extends nationwide lockdown for at least another 3 weeks on Thursday Press TV 16 Apr 2020 -- Britain has extended a nationwide lockdown for at least another 3 weeks to prevent the spread of a coronavirus outbreak which has already claimed over 138,000 lives globally.
- Foreign Secretary's statement on coronavirus (COVID-19): 16 April 2020 UK FCO 16 Apr 2020 -- Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab gave the 16 April 2020 daily press briefing on the government's response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Britain to Extend Lockdown for 3 More Weeks VOA 16 Apr 2020 -- The British government Thursday said it will extend for three weeks its nationwide lockdown intended to curb the spread of the coronavirus.
- Germany Criticizes US Move to Halt WHO Funding VOA 16 Apr 2020 -- Germany's foreign minister Thursday sharply criticized U.S. President Donald Trump's decision to halt U.S. funding the World Health Organization (WHO) during the coronavirus pandemic, comparing it to throwing a pilot from a plane in mid-flight.
- Merkel Says Germany's 'Curve Is Flatter' But Remains Cautious VOA 16 Apr 2020 -- Chancellor Angela Merkel says Germany has made significant progress in fighting the coronavirus, but the situation remains fragile, and "caution should be the order of the day."
- Hungary To Expel Iranian Students For Alleged Breaches Of Quarantine RFE/RL 16 Apr 2020 -- Hungary says it will begin expelling 14 Iranian students on April 16 for alleged violations of coronavirus quarantine rules.
- Germany extends social distance restrictions to early May People's Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel announced on Wednesday generally extending the country's nationwide social distance restrictions which have been in force for weeks, until at least May 3.
- Romania Wrestles With Balance Under Coronavirus State Of Emergency RFE/RL 16 Apr 2020 -- It's a familiar sight in Romania this month: police and military officials stopping cars to check whether motorists and passengers are carrying compulsory written statements that justify their trip.
- Putin postpones preparations for May 9 Victory Day parade over coronavirus pandemic Press TV 16 Apr 2020 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has announced postponement of preparations for the grand Victory Day military parade across the country to mark the 75th anniversary of Soviet victory in World War II over Nazi Germany amid the novel coronavirus pandemic.
- Russia Reports 3,448 Novel Coronavirus Infections, 34 Deaths SPA 16 Apr 2020 -- Russia has reported 3,448 new coronavirus infections and 34 deaths during the past 24 hours.
- Russian Government Orders to Use Non-Registered Drug Hydroxychloroquine Against COVID-19 Sputnik 16 Apr 2020 -- The Russian government ordered to use and distribute a non-registered Chinese drug hydroxychloroquine for the treatment of coronavirus infection, according to a document published on the official legal portal.
- Russia faces challenges in coming two weeks to combat COVID-19: expert Global Times 16 Apr 2020 -- New coronavirus cases in Russia have a large possibility of rising continuously in the coming days and the country faces serious, complex challenges in combating the COVID-19 in the next one or two weeks, said a member of China's medical experts aid team to Russia.
- Russian Newspaper Forced To Take Down Chechnya Coronavirus Report, Author Threatened RFE/RL 16 Apr 2020 -- Russian independent newspaper Novaya gazeta says it has taken down an article about measures introduced to tackle the coronavirus in the North Caucasus region of Chechnya following a request by the country's media regulator, Roskomnadzor.
- Updates on COVID-19 India PIB 16 Apr 2020
- China Advises India to 'Choose Certified Products' After Reports of Thousands of Faulty Kits Sputnik 16 Apr 2020 -- India has ordered 15 million personal protective equipment (PPE) kits, and 1.5 million rapid testing kits from China. The first batch of 6,50,000 Chinese kits arrived in India earlier on Thursday.
- Indian Army Suspends Movement in Military Establishments Across the Country Due to COVID-19 Sputnik 16 Apr 2020 -- The order to suspend movement in military establishments comes while Indian and Pakistani forces are engaged in a massive artillery fire-fight that has been ongoing since 6 April. Clashes between the two continued on Thursday as the Indian Army claimed that there had been unprovoked firing by Pakistan at the Line of Control.
- Jordanian King, Indian Prime Minister Discuss Cooperation to Counter COVID-19 SPA 16 Apr 2020 -- Jordanian King Abdullah II, in a phone call today with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, discussed coordinating bilateral and international efforts to counter coronavirus (COVID-19).
- New Iranian Coronavirus 'Detector' Mocked Over Resemblance To British Fake RFE/RL 16 Apr 2020 -- The unveiling of a device that purportedly uses magnetic waves to detect coronavirus infections up to 100 meters away was staged as a moment of triumph for Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC).
- Iran Develops Device to Remotely Detect COVID-19 in 5 Seconds – IRGC Commander Sputnik 16 Apr 2020 -- Iran has started to manufacture devices that are capable of remotely detecting COVID-19 within five seconds, Maj. Gen. Hossein Salami, commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC), has said, adding that no additional tests for patients are required.
- Army provides 1050 hospital beds for coronavirus patients in NW Iran IRNA 16 Apr 2020 -- Commander of the Iranian Army in northwestern headquarters said on Thursday that the force has provided 1050 beds for coronavirus patients in 11 counties of the northwestern provinces.
- Coronavirus death toll reaches 4,869 in Iran IRNA 16 Apr 2020 -- The head of Iran's Health Ministry's Public Relations Office said on Thursday that 77,995 people have been infected with the coronavirus (COVID-19), 4,869 of whom have lost their lives.
- Zarif lauds China anti-COVID19 aid to Iran IRNA 16 Apr 2020 -- Iranian Foreign Minister in a message on Thursday thanked China for providing medical aid to Iran in time of coronavirus outbreak and slammed US sanctions that hindered Iran's fight against pandemic.
- Iran's virus detection device proves its scientific capacity: IRGC spokesman Press TV 16 Apr 2020 -- The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC)'s spokesman hails the scientific prowess of Iranian experts in developing a smart technology for detecting and diagnosing the new coronavirus, saying the device's features are soon to be unveiled in detail at a media event.
- Iran parl. body rejects fake coronavirus tolls reported by foreign media Press TV 16 Apr 2020 -- The Iranian Parliament (Majlis)'s Research Center has rejected the tolls from the coronavirus outbreak in Iran that certain foreign media outlets have reported, referencing a report by the body.
- Coronavirus outbreak not impeding activities in South Pars Gas Field IRNA 16 Apr 2020 -- The Managing Director of Pars Oil and Gas Company said on Thursday that was necessary to prevent further spread of coronavirus and to continue with the projects at the same time.
- Zarif: Iran, China condemn illegal US sanctions that bar fight against virus Press TV 16 Apr 2020 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has announced Iran and China's condemnation of the illegal and unilateral US sanctions against the Islamic Republic as the country is doing its best to bring under control a deadly outbreak of new coronavirus, known as COVID-19.
- The Saudi G20 Presidency calls for US$8 billion in Combatting the COVID-19 Pandemic and Saudi Arabia pledges US$500 million SPA 16 Apr 2020 -- The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, as the holder of the G20 Presidency, has pledged US$500 million to relevant international organizations to support global efforts in combatting the COVID-19 pandemic. This pledge will support emergency and preparedness response, developing and deploying new diagnostics, therapeutics and vaccines, fulfilling unmet needs for international surveillance and coordination, and ensuring sufficient supplies of protective equipment for health workers.
- Health Ministry Spokesman: 518 New COVID-19 Cases Reported in Saudi Arabia SPA 16 Apr 2020 -- Spokesman of the Ministry of Health Dr. Mohammed Al-Abdulaali said that 518 new cases were reported today in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- COVID-19 Follow-up Committee Holds 57th Meeting SPA 16 Apr 2020 -- Under the chairmanship of Health Minister Dr. Tawfiq bin Fawzan Al-Rabiah, the COVID-19 Follow-up Committee held its 57th meeting today.
- Tsai details Taiwan's battle against COVID-19 in Time 100 special issue CNA 16 Apr 2020 -- An article by Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) was included in a special issue published by Time Magazine on Thursday that asked over 50 TIME 100 honorees for their insights on the challenges the world faces navigating the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Taiwan reports no new COVID-19 cases for second time this week: CECC CNA 16 Apr 2020 -- Taiwan, for the second time this week, reported no new cases of the COVID-19 coronavirus, thus keeping the total number of those infected in the country at 395, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Thursday.
- Taiwan hospital discusses virus control with 8 Latin American nations CNA 16 Apr 2020 -- National Taiwan University Hospital (NTUT) held discussions Wednesday with eight Latin American countries via video conferencing to share Taiwan's experience in fighting the COVID-19 coronavirus disease, according to the foreign ministry.
- Taiwan donates rain suits to alleviate serious PPE shortage in Japan CNA 16 Apr 2020 -- A Taiwanese doctor living in Japan has arranged a donation of over 10,000 disposable rain suits for use by front-line medical workers in Osaka, which is suffering from a shortage of personal protective equipment (PPE) as it battles the COVID-19 coronavirus.
- Taiwan donates 2 million masks to Japan CNA 16 Apr 2020 -- Taiwan donated 2 million surgical face masks to Japan on Thursday to help its northern neighbor contain the spread of the coronavirus, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said in a statement.
- NATO Deputy Secretary General addresses COVID-19 response with Atlantic Council NATO 16 Apr 2020 -- NATO Deputy Secretary General, Mircea Geoana, explained how NATO is supporting Allies in the fight against COVID-19 during an online event held by the Atlantic Council with the NATO Public Diplomacy Division today (16 April 2020). Speaking at the event by video conference, he said, "Our DNA is crisis management, command and control, efficiency and logistics, and putting together in critical moments the pieces that can make an alliance work in times of distress."
- Coronavirus response: Czech and Serbian cooperation helps develop new medical protective masks NATO 16 Apr 2020 -- The Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Defence (NBC) Institute of the University of Defence in Brno, Czech Republic is providing an effective contribution to the fight against the spread of the coronavirus, using a NATO cooperation framework.
- Global COVID-19 cases surpass 2 million: Johns Hopkins University People's Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- Global confirmed COVID-19 cases topped 2 million on Wednesday morning, according to the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University.
- Global COVID-19 cases over 2 million, but true figures probably much higher Press TV 16 Apr 2020 -- The number of people infected with the novel coronavirus in the world has risen to more than two million, out of whom over 130,000 have died, but experts believe the figures understate the true toll of the contagion.
- COVID-19: Iranian Think Tank Says Infection Figures Likely Much Higher; Turkmen Soccer League Resumes RFE/RL 16 Apr 2020 -- The global death toll from the coronavirus is more than 138,000 with over 2 million infections confirmed, causing mass disruptions as governments continue to try to slow the spread of the new respiratory illness.
- UN chief calls for greater protection for children caught up in COVID-19 crisis UN News 16 Apr 2020 -- The looming global recession resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic could cause hundreds of thousands of additional child deaths this year, effectively reversing recent gains in reducing infant mortality, a new UN report issued on Thursday has revealed.
- Myanmar Steps up Coronavirus Measures as Medical Profession Feels Risks Radio Free Asia 16 Apr 2020 -- A Myanmar doctor who treated a coronavirus patient has tested positive for the deadly pathogen, raising concerns over the safety of healthcare workers who are exposed to COVID-19 amid its spread in the Southeast Asian country, according to Myanmar's Health Ministry.
- Georgia Tightens State Of Emergency With Ban On Driving Private Vehicles RFE/RL 16 Apr 2020 -- Georgia has announced a nationwide ban on driving cars and other private vehicles beginning at noon on April 17 as an additional measure to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
- Coping With Coronavirus: Doctors, Others Struggle Amid Government Inaction RFE/RL 16 Apr 2020 -- No corner of the globe has been spared from the highly contagious coronavirus - or the immense challenges of trying to slow its spread.
- Kuwait Reports 119 New Cases of Novel Coronavirus SPA 16 Apr 2020 -- The Kuwaiti Ministry of Health has reported 119 confirmed cases of novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), during the past 24 hours, bringing the tally to 1524 cases
- Indonesia Reports 380 New Cases of Coronavirus SPA 16 Apr 2020 -- Indonesia reported 380 new cases of Coronavirus today, bringing the total number of the infected to 5516, while the number of deaths reached 496 after registering 27 Deaths.
- Morocco Reports 227 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 16 Apr 2020 -- Morocco reported 227 new cases of Coronavirus today, bringing the total number of the infected to 2251, while the number of deaths reached 128 after recording new one death.
- Oman Reports 109 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 16 Apr 2020 -- Oman has reported 109 new cases of novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), during the past 24 hours.
- Seven new cases of coronavirus registered in Rwanda SPA 16 Apr 2020 -- Rwanda recorded seven new cases of the Corona pandemic, bringing the total number to 134 confirmed cases in the country.
- COVID-19 storm strengthens across Europe, controlling transmission everywhere, essential: Tedros UN News 16 Apr 2020 -- The storm clouds of COVID-19 still hang heavily over Europe, a senior World Health Organization (WHO) expert said on Thursday, with reported cases in the last 10 days alone, doubling to nearly 1 million. The continent now accounts for 10 per cent of the global total.
- Coronavirus pandemic threatens crises-ravaged communities, UN appeals for global support UN News 16 Apr 2020 -- A psychosocial counsellor in Jordan's Azraq refugee camp informed the UN Population Fund (UNFPA) on Thursday that during the first four days of the COVID-19 lockdown she called beneficiaries to let them know that "virtual support" was available.
- FROM THE FIELD: COVID-19 poses increased hunger risk for hundreds of millions UN News 16 Apr 2020 -- Before the COVID-19 coronavirus began spreading around the world, hunger and malnourishment was already a major challenge for hundreds of millions of people. Now, there are serious concerns that the pandemic will make it harder for humanitarian organizations, including UN agencies, to reach them.
- Why COVID-19 Hit High-Income Countries Harder VOA 16 Apr 2020 -- After the novel coronavirus burst out of China in January, experts have been fearing catastrophic impacts on developing nations with weak health care systems.
- Japan, Britain Extend COVID-19 Restrictions as other Countries Plan to Relax Them VOA 16 Apr 2020 -- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe extended a state of emergency Thursday to cover the entire country to help avoid further spread of the coronavirus and to limit its impact on the world's third-largest economy.
- War-Ravaged Yemen 'Running out of Time' on COVID-19 VOA 16 Apr 2020 -- The United Nations warned Thursday that the threat of the coronavirus in war-ravaged Yemen requires attention and resources, making a nationwide cease-fire even more urgent.
- Cameroonian President Orders De-Crowding of Prisons to Combat COVID-19 VOA 16 Apr 2020 -- Cameroon's president has announced steps that will lead to the release of thousands of prisoners due to concerns about the coronavirus spreading in overcrowded facilities. However, separatists fighting for an independent English-speaking state and officials jailed for corruption are excluded. Rights groups also note that Biya's political opponents and journalists critical of his rule will remain behind bars.
- Africans Feel Targeted by China Over Coronavirus VOA 16 Apr 2020 -- In a video shared with VOA, a Congolese student in Guangzhou, China, peeks through a cracked-open door and pleads for permission to leave his apartment.
- In Africa, Coronavirus Adds to Stress of Food Shortages VOA 16 Apr 2020 -- Global agencies have been warning that the coronavirus pandemic may result in worldwide food shortages, and leaders warn African nations – already struggling from the effects of natural disasters and conflicts - could be among the worst hit.
- Tanzania Cancels its National Holiday Celebration as COVID Rate Rises VOA 16 Apr 2020 -- Tanzania has canceled this year's April 26 national holiday celebration commemorating the 1964 merger of Tanganyika and Zanzibar to become Tanzania as the country's coronavirus tally rises.
- Brazilian Governor Expresses Safety Concerns After Criticizing Bolsanaro's Coronavirus Response VOA 16 Apr 2020 -- One Brazilian governor said he has increased security for his wife and relocated his children after receiving threats he says are tied to his criticism of Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro's handling of the coronavirus outbreak.
- Turkey Releases Refugees from Quarantine Amid Coronavirus Lockdown VOA 16 Apr 2020 -- After more than two weeks of forced quarantine, hundreds of refugees in Turkey have been released haphazardly in recent days, with many being left on the streets in locked down coastal areas.
- HRW Says Azerbaijan Abuses COVID-19 Restrictions To Crack Down On Critics RFE/RL 16 Apr 2020 -- Human Rights Watch (HRW) is accusing Azerbaijani authorities of "abusing" restrictions imposed to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus to arrest government critics.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|