17 March 2020 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
Other Security News
- 8th COMM, USCYBERCOM conduct Cyber Fury 2020 USMC News 17 Mar 2020 -- U.S. Marines with II Marine Expeditionary Force Information Group, (II MIG), and Marine Forces Cyber Command participated in Exercise Cyber Fury 2020 at Camp Lejeune, N.C., Feb. 17-28, 2020.
- U.S. Drops Criminal Case Against Russian Company Accused Of Election Interference RFE/RL 17 Mar 2020 -- The United States has dropped its criminal case against a company controlled by a close associate of Russian President Vladimir Putin that allegedly funded an infamous social-media campaign to meddle in the 2016 presidential elections.
- Terrorist Designation of ISIS Leader Amir Muhammad Sa'id Abdal-Rahman al-Mawla US Dept. of State 17 Mar 2020 -- The Department of State has announced its intent to designate Amir Muhammad Sa'id Abdal-Rahman al-Mawla, the new leader of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS), as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist (SDGT) under Section 1(a)(ii)(B) of Executive Order 13224, as amended by Executive Order 13886. Al-Mawla is also known as Hajji Abdallah, 'Abdul Amir Muhammad Sa'id Salbi, and Abu-'Umar al-Turkmani.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 57 WHO 17 March 2020
- Global COVID-19 cases near 170,000, deaths over 6,600: WHO People's Daily 17 Mar 2020 -- A total of 152 countries and regions have reported 167,511 confirmed cases of COVID-19 as of Monday morning, an increase of 13,903 infections compared to the previous day, according to a daily situation report released by the World Health Organization (WHO).
- WHO says confirmed COVID-19 cases, deaths outside China exceed those inside People's Daily 17 Mar 2020 -- More cases and deaths of COVID-19 have now been reported in the rest of the world than in China, the chief of the World Health Organization (WHO) said here on Monday, noting that a rapid escalation of the coronavirus cases has been seen in the past week.
- The number of daily deaths and infections of COVID-19 outside China exceeded those inside the country for the first time, the WHO announced SPA 17 Mar 2020 -- The World Health Organization announced today that, with four countries, namely Uzbekistan, Uruguay, Rwanda and Seychelles announcing the emergence of new Coronavirus cases during the last 24 hours, the number of daily deaths and infections of COVID-19 outside China exceeded those inside the country for the first time.
- WHO Calls for Urgent and Aggressive Measures to Combat COVID-19 in South-East Asia SPA 17 Mar 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) today called for urgent and aggressive actions to combat the new Coronavirus (COVID-19) in Southeast Asia.
- Remarks by President Trump, Vice President Pence, and Members of the Coronavirus Task Force in Press Briefing The White House 17 Mar 2020
- Remarks by President Trump in Meeting with Tourism Industry Executives on COVID-19 Response The White House 17 Mar 2020
- Adm. Charles Richard Holds a Press Briefing on the Efforts of U.S. Strategic Command During the COVID-19 Outbreak DoD 17 Mar 2020 -- Admiral Charles A. Richard, Commander, U.S. Strategic Command
- DOD Poised to Provide Masks, Ventilators, Labs for Coronavirus Fight DoD News 17 Mar 2020 -- As part of the president's whole-of-government approach to fighting the coronavirus pandemic, the Defense Department has agreed to provide medical supplies and capabilities to the Department of Health and Human Services to help combat further infections, Defense Secretary Dr. Mark T. Esper said.
- Navy School Closed After Third COVID-19 Case NNS 17 Mar 2020 -- Training Support Command (TSC) San Diego closed on March 14, after a third Sailor tested positive for Coronavirus (COVID-19).
- More public facilities closed as COVID-19 cases top 4,600 in U.S. People's Daily 17 Mar 2020 -- The number of COVID-19 cases in United States has topped 4,600 as of Monday night, an increase of more than 1,000 in the past 24 hours, according to the Center for Systems Science and Engineering at Johns Hopkins University.
- White House Tells Americans to Limit Social Gatherings to 10 People VOA 17 Mar 2020 -- The White House is recommending people in the United States avoid social gatherings of more than 10 people for at least the next 15 days.
- Lack of strong leadership in fight against pandemic in US prompts states to take charge Press TV 17 Mar 2020 -- US state and local officials have taken charge in the fight against the coronavirus pandemic amid the lack of central leadership.
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Announces Three-Way Agreement with Legislature on Paid Sick Leave Bill to Provide Immediate Assistance for New Yorkers Impacted By COVID-19 New York State 17 Mar 2020
- Rush Transcript: During Coronavirus Briefing, Governor Cuomo Calls for National Unity in Face of Historic Coronavirus Pandemic New York State 17 Mar 2020
- State Health & Emergency Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 17 Mar 2020
- Chinese FM slams Trump for using term 'Chinese Virus' on Twitter Global Times 17 Mar 2020 -- China's Foreign Ministry slammed a tweet by US President Donald Trump in which he used the term "Chinese Virus" amid a surge in infections in the US, which provoked a huge backlash by netizens around the world.
- Chinese FM slams Trump for using term 'Chinese Virus' on Twitter Global Times 17 Mar 2020 -- Warplanes of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) reportedly conducted rare nighttime exercises near the island of Taiwan on Monday, and mainland analysts on Tuesday predicted that similar drills will become more frequent if Taiwan secessionist forces remain stubborn and continue their secessionist activities.
- Beijing fumes at US attempt to link coronavirus to China Press TV 17 Mar 2020 -- China has harshly hit back at US President Donald Trump over a tweet in which he referred to the new coronovirus as the "Chinese Virus," condemning it as stigmatization.
- China Objects to Trump's 'Chinese Virus' Tweet VOA 17 Mar 2020 -- China expressed its strong opposition Tuesday to U.S. President Donald Trump using the term "Chinese virus" to refer to the novel coronavirus that has spread to more than 150 countries around the world.
- Wuhan eyes no new infections by the end of this week Global Times 17 Mar 2020 -- Wuhan reported only one new case of coronavirus as of Monday after seeing six consecutive days of single-digit new cases, with top Chinese epidemiologists expecting the new infections in the city to be cleared around the end of the week.
- Coronavirus may be transmissible via ocular conjunctival route: Chinese researchers Global Times 17 Mar 2020 -- Animal tests made by Chinese researchers show the novel coronavirus can likely be transmitted via the ocular conjunctival route. Tears and other eye secretions that carry the virus can enter respiratory tissues internally through the nasolacrimal duct, or can pass to the digestive system after being swallowed, it was found.
- Chinese expert team delivers medical aid to Iraq to fight COVID-19 Global Times 17 Mar 2020 -- A Chinese expert team on Monday delivered medical aid to Iraq as part of China's efforts to increase Iraq's capabilities of combating the spread of COVID-19, or novel coronavirus.
- Beijing's SARS hospital opens to tackle imported COVID-19 risks Global Times 17 Mar 2020 -- Beijing announced the launch of Xiaotangshan Hospital on Monday. The facility, once designated to treat SARS patients in 2003, will be used to screen international visitors and returned nationals, to treat mild coronavirus cases and quarantine suspected cases.
- Hong Kong to quarantine all arrivals from outside starting Thursday: chief executive Global Times 17 Mar 2020 -- China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Chief Executive Carrie Lam said Tuesday that Hong Kong will quarantine for 14 days all arriving passengers from outside the region starting from Thursday to curb the spread of the COVID-19.
- Xi says China to send more medical experts to Italy People's Daily 17 Mar 2020 -- China will send more medical experts to Italy and do its best to provide medical supplies and other assistance, Chinese President Xi Jinping said in a phone conversation with Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte on Monday evening.
- Macao orders entry ban for non-residents People's Daily 17 Mar 2020 -- All non-residents, with the exception of residents from the Chinese mainland, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR) and China's Taiwan region, and work permit holders, will be barred from entering Macao starting from midnight of March 18, the Macao SAR's Chief Executive Ho Iat Seng announced Tuesday.
- Beijing reports 9 imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 17 Mar 2020 -- Beijing reported a total of nine newly confirmed cases of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) from other countries Monday, the Beijing Municipal Health Commission said Tuesday morning.
- Daily COVID-19 updates on March 17 People's Daily 17 Mar 2020 -- Countries around the world were stepping up efforts to fight the COVID-19 pandemic amid a rising caseload in the past 24 hours, with the tally of cases and deaths outside China exceeding that inside China.
- Shanghai reports a total of 20 imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 17 Mar 2020 -- Shanghai reported three new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on Monday, all of which were imported, the local health authority said Tuesday.
- Hong Kong to quarantine all people from outside starting from Thursday People's Daily 17 Mar 2020 -- China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) will quarantine for 14 days all people entering from outside starting midnight Thursday to prevent the spread of the COVID-19, Chief Executive Carrie Lam said on Tuesday.
- 930 recovered COVID-19 patients discharged on Chinese mainland People's Daily 17 Mar 2020 -- A total of 930 patients of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were discharged from hospital Monday on the Chinese mainland, according to the National Health Commission.
- China's Hubei reports 1 newly confirmed case of COVID-19 People's Daily 17 Mar 2020 -- Central China's Hubei Province reported one new confirmed case of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and 12 deaths Monday, the provincial health commission said Tuesday.
- China mulls contingency plans for public health emergencies on passenger liners People's Daily 17 Mar 2020 -- China's transport regulator said Monday that it will roll out contingency plans targeting public health emergencies on large passenger liners to fuel the healthy development of the country's cruise industry.
- China province tightens quarantine to reduce infection from overseas People's Daily 17 Mar 2020 -- East China's Anhui Province has tightened quarantine rules for people traveling from abroad in a bid to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus.
- Schools in Tibet to Reopen as COVID-19 Fears Subside Radio Free Asia 17 Mar 2020 -- Schools in the Tibet Autonomous Region will reopen after shutting down at the beginning of the month to stop the spread of COVID-19, authorities and sources in the region said.
- European Leaders Videoconference Over Refugee Crisis, Coronavirus VOA 17 Mar 2020 -- Turkish, French, German and British leaders met by videoconference Tuesday to commit themselves to joint actions on the Syrian refugee crisis and coronavirus pandemic.
- 'We are at war': Macron announces 15-day lockdown over COVID-19 People's Daily 17 Mar 2020 -- French President Emmanuel Macron on Monday ordered strict restrictions on people's movements to slow the spread of the coronavirus, and said the army would be drafted in to help move the sick to hospitals.
- France imposes stricter restriction on people's movement People's Daily 17 Mar 2020 -- At war against coronavirus, French citizens should stay home with their movement being greatly reduced starting from Tuesday noon for at least 15 days, President Emmanuel Macron announced on Monday evening.
- Macron Locks Down France, EU Borders to Shut as Coronavirus Spreads Through Europe VOA 17 Mar 2020 -- The European Union's external borders will be closed to non-essential travel for 30 days as of Tuesday to fight the spread of the coronavirus, while France is following Italy and Spain in imposing a nationwide lockdown for at least 15 days.
- New government structures to coordinate response to coronavirus Gov.UK 17 Mar 2020 -- The Prime Minister has set up new ministerial structures to coordinate, prioritise and respond to the coronavirus pandemic across government.
- British government changes course on COVID-19 containment strategy Press TV 17 Mar 2020 -- Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, has been abruptly forced to abandon his so-called "herd immunity" strategy against the coronavirus outbreak after a new report concluded it would lead to deaths on a massive scale.
- Switzerland declares "extraordinary situation" to fight COVID-19 People's Daily 17 Mar 2020 -- Swiss government on Monday declared an "extraordinary situation" in the country, while introducing more measures such as entry bans at its borders.
- Germany introduces tough measures to contain coronavirus People's Daily 17 Mar 2020 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Monday announced new tough measures to contain the outbreak of the coronavirus, closing all shops except pharmacies and supermarkets.
- Active coronavirus cases in Italy top 23,000, but at slowest pace since March 1 People's Daily 17 Mar 2020 -- Nearly 2,500 new cases of coronavirus were recorded in Italy in the last 24 hours, pushing the total number of active cases in the country to more than 23,000, Civil Protection officials said Monday.
- EU decides to fully close borders to contain coronavirus outbreak Press TV 17 Mar 2020 -- The European Commission has announced plans to enact the full closure of borders across the 27-member European Union (EU) as part of efforts to contain the now-global coronavirus pandemic in Europe.
- India Shuts Down Taj Mahal, Ramps Up Measures to Control Coronavirus Outbreak VOA 17 Mar 2020 -- India has closed the iconic Taj Mahal, one of the world's most visited tourist sites, as it battles the spread of coronavirus.
- Pakistan sees sharp rise in Covid-19 cases, total infections at 195 SPA 17 Mar 2020 -- Pakistan's Covid-19 infections rose sharply on Tuesday, with more than 140 new cases appearing over the course of 36 hours, dpa reported.
- Iran awards contracts to 6 domestic firms for coronavirus test kits: Official Press TV 17 Mar 2020 -- Iran is ramping up production for various items needed to fight coronavirus as the government awards contracts to six biopharmaceutical companies for making highly-needed testing kits.
- Iran screens 14mn for COVID-19, gets foreign aid in anti-virus fight Press TV 17 Mar 2020 -- Iran's Health Minister Saeed Namaki says 14 million people have been screened for the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) symptoms as part of a national mobilization plan to curb the pandemic.
- Coronavirus death toll hits 988 in Iran IRNA 17 Mar 2020 -- The head of the Public Relations and Information Center of the Ministry of Health and Medical Education said on Tuesday that 16,169 Iranians have been infected with the coronavirus (COVID-19) in Iran and 988 of them have succumbed to death.
- S.Korea reports 84 more COVID-19 cases, 8,320 in total People's Daily 17 Mar 2020 -- South Korea reported 84 more cases of the COVID-19 compared to 24 hours ago as of midnight Tuesday local time, raising the total number of infections to 8,320.
- COVID-19 infections in Japan rise to 821 cases People's Daily 17 Mar 2020 -- Japan's health ministry and local governments said Tuesday the number of COVID-19 infections stood at a total of 821 as of 10:30 a.m. local time here.
- Ministry of Health Reports 38 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 17 Mar 2020 -- The Ministry of Health today reported 38 new cases of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19).
The ministry cited that the first three cases were for a male citizen who was in contact with a previous case, a male citizen coming from Germany and Jordanian resident coming from Britain. They are isolated now at a health facility in Jeddah, the ministry said.
- Taiwan adds 10 new imported COVID-19 cases, bringing total to 77 CNA 17 Mar 2020 -- A total of 10 new COVID-19 cases, all imported, were confirmed in Taiwan Tuesday, bringing the total number in the country to 77, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said that day.
- Taiwan strives to contain coronavirus spread without lockdown CNA 17 Mar 2020 -- Taiwan will try its utmost to refrain from a lockdown as more and more countries have taken drastic measures, including closing their borders, to try to stem the spread of the coronavirus disease COVID-19, the health minister said Tuesday.
- All of Asia, Europe covered by Taiwan's highest travel warning CNA 17 Mar 2020 -- Taiwan extended its highest Level 3 travel alert to more foreign countries Tuesday to cover virtually all of Asia and Europe and three states in the United States amid the global novel coronavirus pandemic.
- Medical workers devotedly engage in prevention of COVID-19 Pyongyang Times 17 Mar 2020 -- Health workers are devoting themselves to the anti-epidemic work in the DPRK.
- South-East Asian countries urged to 'do more' to fight COVID-19 UN News 17 Mar 2020 -- With South-East Asia reporting more than 480 cases of COVID-19 and eight deaths, the World Health Organization (WHO) on Wednesday called for countries to "act now" and urgently scale-up "aggressive" measures to tackle the disease.
- Coronavirus updates: Asia hotspots report decline, Europe scales up response Press TV 17 Mar 2020 -- China and South Korea, the hotspots of the new coronavirus in Asia, have reported continuing declines in new infections, while European countries move to contain their growing outbreaks more drastically.
- COVID-19: Kazakhstan Locks Down Two Main Cities; Iran Warns Virus Could Kill 'Millions' RFE/RL 17 Mar 2020 -- Kazakh authorities have imposed a quarantine on the capital, Nur-Sultan, and largest city, Almaty, after the number of people infected with coronavirus in the country more than doubled overnight to 33.
- Coronavirus Vs. The Church: Orthodox Traditionalists Stand Behind The Holy Spoon RFE/RL 17 Mar 2020 -- Efforts to slow the spread of coronavirus have rekindled a millennium-old debate within Christianity.
- COVID-19 cases in Jordan jump to 33 SPA 17 Mar 2020 -- Four new cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) were reported in Jordan today, bringing the total number to 33, according to the Ministry of Health.
- Coronavirus Will Slam African Economies, Experts Say VOA 17 Mar 2020 -- As the coronavirus spreads across Africa, countries are taking stronger measures to curb its spread. The restrictions may contain the virus, but will likely have a deep impact on the continent's economies.
- Israel Imposes New Restrictions on Public to Fight Coronavirus VOA 17 Mar 2020 -- Israel has issued new restrictions to fight the coronavirus, basically putting the entire country under quarantine, except for grocery shopping and medical care. Public transport is being curtailed, as well.
- Philippines Becomes First Nation to Close its Financial Markets Due to Coronavirus Pandemic VOA 17 Mar 2020 -- The Philippines Stock Exchange has shut down operations indefinitely, the first stock exchange in the world to stop trading amid the economic fallout caused by the novel coronavirus pandemic.
- South Sudan Ministers Announce Travel Ban to Stop Coronavirus Spread VOA 17 Mar 2020 -- South Sudan President Salva Kiir has issued new directives to prevent the spread of the new coronavirus, including a travel ban on all newly appointed ministers. During the swearing-in Monday of his new cabinet, Kiir told the ministers they were not permitted to travel anywhere outside the country and issued a new order for diplomats returning from travel.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|