15 March 2020 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 55 WHO 15 March 2020
- COVID-19: UN 'remains open for business', determined to deliver for the people we serve, says UN chief UN News 15 Mar 2020 -- In light of the continuing spread of the coronavirus, the UN has stepped up measures to safeguard staff and all those using its offices around the world, while at the same time ensuring that the critical work of the Organization continues to deliver on key mandates, and provide lifesaving support to those in need.
- Prevention measures beefed up worldwide as new virus on rampage People's Daily 15 Mar 2020 -- Countrie around the world are beefing up control and prevention measures to contain further spread of the novel coronavirus.
- Nearly 10,000 more coronavirus cases reported outside China in 24 hours: WHO People's Daily 15 Mar 2020 -- A total of 9,751 new cases of of COVID-19 infection were reported outside China in the past 24 hours as of 10:00 CET Saturday, bringing the global number of coronavirus cases to 142,539, according to the daily situation report released by the World Health Organization (WHO).
- Coronavirus pandemic hits businesses, disrupts transportation worldwide Press TV 15 Mar 2020 -- The new coronavirus pandemic is rapidly spreading across the globe, dealing hard blows to international and local businesses as well as disrupting public and global transportation to various levels as panicked tourists rush to get back to their home countries.
- Coronavirus taking toll on diplomacy at UN Press TV 15 Mar 2020 -- The spread of the new coronavirus around the world is also taking a toll on international diplomacy at the United Nations (UN) in New York, where mandatory social distancing has caused major disruptions to routine work.
- Coronavirus outbreak rising globally, China's outbreak continues to slow down Press TV 15 Mar 2020 -- The number of coronavirus infections in the world have been rising even as countries take precautionary measures to slow the spread down.
- Remarks by President Trump, Vice President Pence, and Members of the Coronavirus Task Force in Press Briefing The White House 15 Mar 2020
- Trump luring German firm into developing COVID-19 vaccine only for Americans: Report Press TV 15 Mar 2020 -- US President Donald Trump is trying to lure a German company, which is developing a vaccine against the new coronavirus, into moving its research to the US to develop such desperately-needed vaccine exclusively for the Americans, a report says, a move that has prompted Berlin to make counter-offers to the firm to entice it to stay.
- US President Trump tests negative for coronavirus People's Daily 15 Mar 2020 -- US President Donald Trump tested negative for the novel coronavirus, according to a memorandum released by the White House physician Sean Conley Saturday night.
- Trump tested negative for coronavirus: White House physician Press TV 15 Mar 2020 -- US President Donald Trump has tested negative for the coronavirus, White House physician Sean Conley has confirmed.
- Trump Attempts to Poach German Scientists Developing Coronavirus Vaccine – Report Sputnik 15 Mar 2020 -- The news comes as the Wuhan coronavirus (COVID-19) spreads to over 130 countries and territories, currently infecting more than 156,000 people and with over 5,800 dead worldwide, prompting the World Health Organization to declare it a global pandemic.
- Mixed Messaging from Trump Administration on Severity of Coronavirus Pandemic VOA 15 Mar 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump and other members of his administration are seeking to quell a panicky nation after the shelves at many stores across the country went bare due to hoarding amid the coronavirus pandemic.
- Long Waits, Panic at US Airports Under New COVID Regulations VOA 15 Mar 2020 -- Long wait times and panic were seen at airports across the United States as authorities work under new regulations imposed to deal with the spread of the novel coronavirus.
- U.S. strives to mass national resources to combat coronavirus People's Daily 15 Mar 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump on Friday declared a national emergency to open up 50 billion U.S. dollars in federal aid to help combat the spread of COVID-19 across the country.
- Coronavirus could kill up to 1.7 million in US: Experts Press TV 15 Mar 2020 -- American health officials and epidemic experts across the world have estimated that, in the worst case scenario, the coronavirus could kill as many as 1.7 million people in the United States, if the outbreak persisted for months or even more than a year.
- DOD Officials Explain New Coronavirus Domestic Travel Restrictions DoD News 15 Mar 2020 -- Defense officials announced restrictions on domestic travel yesterday for service members, Defense Department employees and family members in response to the new coronavirus, or COVID-19.
- Navy Sets Coronavirus Transfer and Travel Rules: What you need to know NNS 15 Mar 2020 -- In the wake of the rapidly expanding world-wide coronavirus outbreak, the Navy has issued two administrative messages outlining new travel and transfer rules in effect until May 11.
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Urges Unprecedented Federal Action to Stop the Spread of COVID-19 New York State 15 Mar 2020
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Calls on President Trump to Take Comprehensive Federal Action to Combat Novel Coronavirus Now New York State 15 Mar 2020
- State Health & Emergency Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 15 Mar 2020
- China gets tough on imported coronavirus and hiding of travel history, including waiving of free treatment Global Times 15 Mar 2020 -- China is taking a zero tolerance stance toward imported coronavirus cases and hiding of travel history, including waiving of free treatment, following a number of new confirmed cases from abroad which are under investigation.
- Chinese government allocates 117 billion yuan for epidemic control Global Times 15 Mar 2020 -- Chinese governments at all levels have allocated a combined 116.9 billion yuan (16.7 billion US dollars) of funds for epidemic prevention and control as of Friday, a finance ministry official said Saturday.
- Europe's passive response fuels fears of imported cases Global Times 15 Mar 2020 -- While calls to urge China to ban flights from European countries like the UK and Sweden have intensified due to these countries' passive response to the coronavirus outbreak, the capital Beijing has escalated prevention measures by requiring all arrivals from overseas to undergo 14-day mandatory quarantine in designated places, given new cases reported in China have exceeded locally transmitted infections over the last two days.
- Western states' 'surrender' to COVID-19 shocks Chinese Global Times 15 Mar 2020 -- As voices have grown louder for countries to learn from China's rigorous measures, some Western countries such as the UK and Sweden decided to apply a totally different approach of "herd immunity," allowing the deadly virus to decide the fate of millions of people in the hope those infected would acquire immunity.
- Lock-down management lifted in low-risk areas in Hubei People's Daily 15 Mar 2020 -- Hubei, the hard hit province in the novel coronavirus outbreak, will introduce differentiated neighborhood management policy as the number of patients continues to drop, the provincial health authorities said at a press conference on Saturday.
- China's Hubei reports 4 newly confirmed cases of COVID-19 People's Daily 15 Mar 2020 -- Central China's Hubei Province reported 4 new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and 10 deaths Saturday, the provincial health commission said Sunday.
- Chinese mainland reports 20 newly confirmed cases of coronavirus infection People's Daily 15 Mar 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Sunday it received reports of 20 newly confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 10 deaths from novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on the Chinese mainland Saturday.
- Beijing bans face-to-face dining in restaurants amid epidemic People's Daily 15 Mar 2020 -- Diners will not be allowed to sit face-to-face in restaurants and canteens in Beijing during the coronavirus outbreak, according to the latest government notice.
- China's Hubei reports single-digit new infections of COVID-19 for four days People's Daily 15 Mar 2020 -- Central China's Hubei Province reported four newly confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and 10 deaths Saturday, the provincial health commission said Sunday.
- Xi says China firmly supports EU's battle against COVID-19 People's Daily 15 Mar 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping said on Friday that China firmly supports the European Union (EU) in its fight against the COVID-19 epidemic.
- Temporary hospitals play key role in curbing coronavirus spread: expert People's Daily 15 Mar 2020 -- Temporary treating centers converted from public facilities have played a key role in curbing the spread of the novel coronavirus in Wuhan, the central Chinese city at the epicenter of the epidemic outbreak, a medical expert said.
- Factbox: China's fight against novel coronavirus outbreak People's Daily 15 Mar 2020 -- Here are the latest developments on the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in China:
- China reports 20 new coronavirus cases, 10 deaths SPA 15 Mar 2020 -- China reported 20 new coronavirus cases and 10 new Covid-19 deaths on Sunday, according to the latest figures released by the National Health Commission (NHC). The deaths from Covid-19, the respiratory disease caused by the new virus, were all reported in Wuhan, the capital of Hubei province where the outbreak originated in December.
- Top US Infectious Diseases Doctor Warns China About New 'Blip' in Coronavirus Cases Sputnik 15 Mar 2020 -- Anthony Fauci, the director of the US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, has warned that China may see another spike in coronavirus infections when life there gets back to normal.
- Boris Johnson Steps Up Plans To Tackle Coronavirus As Criticism Mounts VOA 15 Mar 2020 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson will step up government action this week in a bid to slow the spread across Britain of the potentially deadly coronavirus by accelerating plans to make the elderly stay at home — possibly for months — and for whole families to self-quarantine when any family member displays COVID-19 symptoms.
- Division emerges between Edinburgh and London over elderly quarantine Press TV 15 Mar 2020 -- As the British government's laissez-faire approach to tackling the coronavirus outbreak comes under further criticism, the Scottish government in Edinburgh has distanced itself from key aspects of Downing Street's strategy.
- Italy Records More Than 3,500 COVID-19 Cases, 368 Deaths Over Past 24 Hours Sputnik 15 Mar 2020 -- Italy's coronavirus cases increased by over 3,500 cases in the past 24 hours with 368 deaths coming as a result of the pandemic, Head of Italy's Civil Protection Department Angelo Borrelli announced on Sunday.
- Macron Says France to Overcome Coronavirus Disease Outbreak by Being Responsible Sputnik 15 Mar 2020 -- France is one of the worst-hit European countries. It had 4,499 confirmed patients suffering from the COVID-19 viral disease as of Saturday afternoon. Ninety-one people have died from virus-related complications.
- Austria Confirms Over 100 New COVID-19 Cases Bringing Total to 800 - Health Ministry Sputnik 15 Mar 2020 -- Austria confirmed over 100 new cases of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on its soil over the last 24 hours, which brings the total number of those infected to 800, the Health Ministry said on Sunday.
- Coronavirus Infections in Spain Jump by 2,000 Over 24 Hours Sputnik 15 Mar 2020 -- The number of people infected with the coronavirus in Spain rose by 2,000 over the past day to 7,753, the Health Ministry said in a daily update on Sunday.
- Russia recommends higher education switch to distance learning over coronavirus fears Press TV 15 Mar 2020 -- Russia has recommended that higher educational institutions switch to distance learning over fears of the current coronavirus global pandemic.
- COVID-19: India Suspends Pilgrimage to Kartarpur Sahib in Pakistan Sputnik 15 Mar 2020 -- The total number of positive cases of COVID-19 in India has gone up to 93 as of 15 March. India has reported two COVID-19 related deaths to date.
- PM's Opening Remarks at Video Conference of SAARC Leaders on combating COVID-19 India PIB 15 Mar 2020
- PM's Remarks on Way Forward at Video Conference of SAARC Leaders on combating COVID-19 India PIB 15 Mar 2020
- PM's Concluding Remarks at Video Conference of SAARC Leaders on combating COVID-19 India PIB 15 Mar 2020
- PM interacts with SAARC leaders to combat COVID-19 in the region India PIB 15 Mar 2020 -- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi interacted with the leaders of the SAARC countries through video conference to chart out a common strategy in order to combat COVID-19 in the region.
- Dr Harsh Vardhan reviews status, actions and preparedness on COVID-19 India PIB 15 Mar 2020 -- Dr Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister of Health and Family reviewed the status, actions taken by States\UTs, and their preparedness regarding prevention, containment and management of COVID-19, here today.
- Official: COVID-19 infection toll hits 14,000 IRNA 15 Mar 2020 -- Head of Iran's Health Ministry Public Relations Office Kianoush Jahanpour said on Sunday that 4,790 people out of a total of 13,938 infected by the coronavirus have survived the deadly disease while 724 have unfortunately succumbed to death.
- Iran Army initiates corona campaign aiming to contain epidemic IRNA 15 Mar 2020 -- The Iranian Army initiated corona campaign on Sunday to contain the spread of the epidemic.
- Coronavirus can be controlled with "prudence", "not panic": UN chief IRNA 15 Mar 2020 -- United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said on Sunday that we can fight the spread of the coronavirus through prudence, not through panic.
- Rouhani: Gov't standing by medical personnel to combat coronavirus IRNA 15 Mar 2020 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani said on Sunday that the government is firmly standing by the medical personnel to fight against the spread of the coronavirus nationwide.
- Zarif: US cruel sanctions major obstacle to fight against coronavirus IRNA 15 Mar 2020 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif on Sunday called the United States' cruel and unilateral sanctions a major obstacle in fight against the dangerous coronavirus, noting that Iran and the world will leave behind this difficult phase with success.
- Iran's Army launches drills to prevent, monitor coronavirus spread Press TV 15 Mar 2020 -- The Iranian Army has begun drills to prevent and monitor the outbreak of a new coronavirus as the country steps up its battle against the flu-like virus originating from China.
- Leader: Anti-coronavirus health recommendations compulsory for everybody Press TV 15 Mar 2020 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei says strategies and health recommendations adopted by Iran's Ministry of Health and Medical Education and its national headquarters, set up to manage the nationwide fight against the outbreak of the novel coronavirus, are compulsory for all Iranians.
- Iran takes delivery of 2,000 ventilators amid fight against coronavirus Press TV 15 Mar 2020 -- Iranian customs authorities have taken delivery of nearly 2,000 ventilators devices as the country scrambles for vital equipment needed to treat coronavirus patients.
- Iran FM says US cruel sanctions severely hindering anti-corona fight Press TV 15 Mar 2020 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the cruel and unilateral sanctions imposed by the White House are severely hampering the Islamic Republic's fight against the novel coronavirus.
- Rouhani rejects rumors about lockdown in Tehran, other cities Press TV 15 Mar 2020 -- President Hassan Rouhani has dismissed rumors that Iran is planning to put Tehran and other cities under quarantine amid the coronavirus outbreak.
- Over 100 People Died in Iran From COVID-19 Over Past Day - Health Official Sputnik 15 Mar 2020 -- Austria confirmed over 100 new cases of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on its soil More than 100 people have died from the coronavirus disease, COVID-19, in Iran in the course of the past 24 hours, while the total number of those infected in the country has reached 13,938 people, Alireza Vahabzadeh, an adviser to Iran's health minister, has said.
- Xi says China to continue assisting South Korea in COVID-19 fight PLA Daily 15 Mar 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping said China will continue to provide as much assistance as it can to South Korea to support the latter's fight against the COVID-19 outbreak.
- South Korea's daily new virus infections drop below 100 SPA 15 Mar 2020 -- South Korea's daily reporting of new coronavirus infections dropped below 100 for the first time in more than three weeks, according to figures released by the health authorities Sunday.
- Hard Hit South Korea Designates COVID-19 'Special Disaster Zones' VOA 15 Mar 2020 -- South Korea has designated several southeastern provinces, hard hit by COVID-19 as "special disaster zones," making them eligible for financial support and relief. The designation is usually reserved for areas affected by typhoons, floods and other national disasters.
- Residents stay cautiously optimistic toward epidemic control in Japan Global Times 15 Mar 2020 -- Japanese residents and experts expressed cautious optimism about the control of the COVID-19 outbreak in the country, which on Sunday reported 1,514 cases and 31 deaths (including those related to cruise ship Diamond Princess).
- Over 60 New Coronavirus Cases Confirmed in Japan, Highest Daily Number to Date - Reports Sputnik 15 Mar 2020 -- In less than a day, 63 new cases of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were registered in Japan, the highest daily number to date, bringing the total count to 773, the NHK reported.
- Israel and Iran Close Pilgrimage Sites Due to Coronavirus Pandemic - Reports Sputnik 15 Mar 2020 -- Earlier this month, in an unprecedented move, Saudi Arabia was forced to halt the umrah - the Islamic pilgrimage to Mecca - due to coronavirus concerns.
- Israel Says Will Track Phones of Patients Diagnosed with COVID-19 VOA 15 Mar 2020 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced a series of sharp restrictions on Israelis to combat the spread of COVID-19. The measures include an almost-total shutdown of the country except for pharmacies and supermarkets and a ban on gatherings of more than ten people. He also said he wants to use cyber-measures to track the locations of those infected.
- Recovery of Second Case from COVID 19 in Saudi Arabia, MOH Announces SPA 15 Mar 2020 -- The Ministry of Health announced the recovery of the second case who is a Saudi citizen among COVID 19 contracted cases in the medical isolation at Qatif Central Hospital, where all medical examinations and procedures were completed. A laboratory testing proved that the recovered case is now free of Coronavirus infection and in good health. He was discharged.
- SPA Highlights Efforts of the Presidency of the Prophet Mosque in Taking Preventive and Precautionary Measures to Protect Worshipers and Visitors from Coronavirus SPA 15 Mar 2020 -- In the frameworks of the keenness of the Government of Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud on the safety of citizens, residents and visitors of the Prophet's Mosque and in order to protect them from the Coronavirus, the Government of Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, and His Royal Highness the Crown Prince, provided all the human and material capabilities.
- Committee of Following up Latest Developments of Coronavirus Urges All to Carry out Their National Duty to Combat COVID-19 SPA 15 Mar 2020 -- The committee concerned with following up on the health situation of the new Coronavirus (COVID-19) held today its 25th meeting under chairmanship of Health Minister Dr. Tawfiq bin Fawazan Al-Rabiah.
- Health Ministry: Third Coronavirus-Infected Case Recovered in the Kingdom SPA 15 Mar 2020 -- The Ministry of Health announced the recovery of the third case who is a Saudi citizen among the cases in the medical isolation at Dammam Medical Complex, where all medical examinations and procedures were completed. A laboratory testing proved that the recovered case is now free of Coronavirus infection and in good health. He was discharged.
- Taiwan to test all symptomatic travelers from Europe for COVID-19 CNA 15 Mar 2020 -- Taiwan will carry out tests for the COVID-19 coronavirus on people arriving from Europe who show symptoms of the disease, in light of the recent spike in the country's imported cases from that continent, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Sunday.
- Taiwan reports 6 new imported COVID-19 cases; total rises to 59 CNA 15 Mar 2020 -- Six new cases of the COVID-19 coronavirus disease have been confirmed in Taiwan, all of which are believed to have been imported, bringing the total number in the country to 59, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Sunday.
- Taiwan raises travel alert for Egypt CNA 15 Mar 2020 -- Taiwan's Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) raised its travel advisory for Egypt to a Level 2 alert Sunday, saying that the number of COVID-19 coronavirus cases there has been spiking.
- Taiwan airlines suspending flights to Europe, US due to COVID-19 CNA 15 Mar 2020 -- Taiwan's two major carriers said Sunday they will suspend some flights to the United States and Europe, since airline crew and travelers arriving from those areas are required to observe either a 14-day self-quarantine or self-health management regime, due to the escalation of the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Material Measures Taken to Prevent COVID-19 Uriminzokkiri 15 Mar 2020 -- Material measures have been taken in different parts of the DPRK to prevent the inroads of COVID-19.
- Kazakh President Declares Nationwide Emergency Over COVID-19 Beginning on Monday Sputnik 15 Mar 2020 -- Kazakh President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev has signed a decree to introduce a nationwide state of emergency over the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic beginning on Monday, the presidential office said on Sunday.
- COVID-19: First Uzbek Case Recorded As Kazakhstan Declares State Of Emergency RFE/RL 15 Mar 2020 -- Uzbekistan early on March 15 reported its first confirmed case of COVID-19, with the government saying the infected person was an Uzbek citizen returning from France.
- Jordan announces six new cases of coronavirus - minister of health SPA 15 Mar 2020 -- Jordan confirmed six new cases of coronavirus on Sunday, including one from an American tourist coming from Egypt, the minister of health said, according to Reuters.
- Three more recoveries from coronavirus in UAE SPA 15 Mar 2020 -- The Ministry of Health and Prevention has announced the full recovery of three additional individuals from the novel coronavirus, COVID-19, bringing the total number of recovered cases in the United Arab Emirates 23.
- Maduro Announces 'Collective Quarantine' for Caracas, Certain States, Amid Coronavirus Outbreak Sputnik 15 Mar 2020 -- The Maduro government earlier declared a state of emergency across Venezuela to tackle the spread of the Chinese COVID-2019 disease, banning mass gatherings and suspending air traffic with Europe and neighboring Colombia.
- Lebanon Declares State of Emergency Due to COVID-19 Pandemic Sputnik 15 Mar 2020 -- Lebanon has so far confirmed 93 COVID-19 cases in the country and three deaths from coronavirus-related complications.
- Georgia, Russia Close Land Border Due to Coronavirus - Tbilisi Sputnik 15 Mar 2020 -- Georgia and Russia have decided to close the border for travelers due to coronavirus [COVID-19] pandemic, the Georgian government said on Sunday.
- Mexico Warns Coronavirus May Last One Year, Tightens Curbs Sputnik 15 Mar 2020 -- Mexico has registered 15 new cases of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), bringing the number of those who have contracted the infection to 41, Deputy Health Minister Hugo Lopez-Gatell said earlier in the day.
- Australia Introduces 14-Day Self-Isolation for International Arrivals - Prime Minister Sputnik 15 Mar 2020 -- Australia has introduced tighter travel restrictions, including self-isolation for 14 days for those coming to the country from abroad, amid the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said on Sunday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|