26 February 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- The Department of Justice Creates Section Dedicated to Denaturalization Cases US Dept. of Justice 26 Feb 2020 -- The Department of Justice today announced the creation of a section dedicated to investigating and litigating revocation of naturalization. The Denaturalization Section will join the existing sections within the Civil Division's Office of Immigration Litigation–the District Court Section and the Appellate Section. This move underscores the Department's commitment to bring justice to terrorists, war criminals, sex offenders, and other fraudsters who illegally obtained naturalization.
- US Steps Up Effort to Fight Citizenship Fraud Cases VOA 26 Feb 2020 -- The U.S. Justice Department announced Wednesday that it has created a new office to investigate an influx of immigrants suspected of illegally obtaining U.S. citizenship and to seek court orders to strip them of naturalization.
- United Nations 1267 Sanctions Committee Designation of ISIS-West Africa and ISIS-Greater Sahara US Dept. of State 26 Feb 2020 -- The United States welcomes the action taken by the United Nations Security Council's 1267 al-Qa'ida and ISIL (Da'esh) Sanctions Committee on February 23 to add ISIS-West Africa (ISIS-WA) and ISIS-Greater Sahara (ISIS-GS) to its designations list.
- Treasury Designates Martyrs Foundation Companies and Officials as Global Terrorists US Treasury 26 Feb 2020 -- The U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) today designated as Specially Designated Global Terrorists (SDGTs) three Lebanon-based officials and 12 Lebanon-based entities linked to the Martyrs Foundation, part of Hizballah's support network. Specifically, OFAC designated Atlas Holding for being owned or controlled by the Martyrs Foundation, as well as senior Atlas official Kassem Mohamad Ali Bazzi, and ten Atlas-affiliated companies.
- Trump Campaign Sues New York Times For Libel Over Russia Story RFE/RL 26 Feb 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump's reelection campaign has filed a libel lawsuit against The New York Times (NYT), accusing it of falsely asserting a trade-off between Russian officials and the president's 2016 campaign.
- Growing Calls for US Intelligence to Clear Up Russian Meddling Allegations VOA 26 Feb 2020 -- Pressure appears to be building on the White House and U.S. intelligence agencies to declassify some information and brief the public on possible Russian attempts to meddle in the upcoming presidential election.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 37 WHO 26 February 2020
- CDC Confirms Possible First Instance of COVID-19 Community Transmission in California California Department of Public Health 26 Feb 2020
- US soldier tests positive for covid-19 as officials warn of spread Press TV 26 Feb 2020 -- US health officials are warning about the approach of the novel coronavirus into the country, a phenomenon appearing inevitable.
- Coronavirus outbreak continues in China, fears rise of pandemic Press TV 26 Feb 2020 -- China has reported new deaths and cases of coronavirus infections, amid fears that the viral outbreak is looking increasingly like a global pandemic.
- Iran preparing to mass-produce coronavirus testing kits: Rouhani Press TV 26 Feb 2020 -- President Hassan Rouhani says the coronavirus testing kits developed by Iranian experts are undergoing final tests and will enter the mass-production stage in the near future.
- Iran sets restriction on tourism hotspots to control coronavirus IRNA 26 Feb 2020 -- Iran prohibited entrances of tourists to desert areas until further notice in order to contribute to the country's efforts to curb the spread of coronavirus.
- Coronavirus death toll mounts to 19 in Iran IRNA 26 Feb 2020 -- Coronavirus death toll mounted to 19 in Iran, Iranian Health Ministry said on Tuesday, adding that a total of 139 people have been affected by coronavirus in Iran.
- S.Korea confirms 284 more cases of COVID-19, 1,261 in total People's Daily 26 Feb 2020 -- South Korea confirmed 284 more cases of the COVID-19 on Wednesday, raising the total number of infections to 1,261, and the death toll rose to 12.
- All confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Vietnam cured, anti-epidemic measures strengthened People's Daily 26 Feb 2020 -- Vietnam's Ministry of Health on Wednesday announced that all the 16 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the country had been cured and discharged from hospitals.
- Taiwan upgrades travel alert for Iran due to coronavirus case spike CNA 26 Feb 2020 -- The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Wednesday raised its travel alert for Iran from Level 1 to Level 2, citing a surge in the number of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) cases in that country to nearly 100 in a matter of days.
- Migrant caregiver confirmed as Taiwan's 32nd COVID-19 case CNA 26 Feb 2020 -- An Indonesian woman who was working in the country illegally has been confirmed as Taiwan's 32nd COVID-19 coronavirus case, after being hired to care for an elderly man in the hospital who was later diagnosed with the virus, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Wednesday.
- Vietnam Refuses Entry to Travelers from Parts of South Korea and Other Coronavirus-Affected Countries Radio Free Asia 26 Feb 2020 -- Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc Tuesday ordered a temporary refusal of entry to all travelers originating from areas affected by the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), including parts of South Korea, the country with the most confirmed cases outside of China.
- Uyghur Former Detainee of Xinjiang Internment Camp Denied Treatment Amid Coronavirus Quarantine Radio Free Asia 26 Feb 2020 -- A Uyghur former detainee of an internment camp in northwest China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR) has been unable to get treatment for a serious medical issue because breaking an ongoing quarantine for the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) could see him sent back to the camps, officials said.
- Police Focus on 'Political Stability' as Wuhan Nurses Appeal For International Help Radio Free Asia 26 Feb 2020 -- Two nurses working at the epicenter of the coronavirus epidemic -- the central Chinese city of Wuhan -- have made a global appeal for assistance on the website of the medical journal, The Lancet.
- Southeast Asian States Worry About Their Citizens, Sources in Virus-Affected Countries Radio Free Asia 26 Feb 2020 -- Prime Minister Hun Sen called on China Wednesday to airlift raw materials to Cambodia to keep the garment sector in the country working through the coronavirus epidemic that has stifled industry and travel around the region.
- Woman Becomes North Macedonia's First Virus Case After Italy Trip RFE/RL 26 Feb 2020 -- North Macedonia has reported its first coronavirus case after a woman who had returned from Italy was found to be infected.
- COVID-19: More new virus cases outside China than in, 'no time for complacency', says UN health agency UN News 26 Feb 2020 -- The number of new COVID-19, or coronavirus, infections outside China has outpaced those inside the country for the first time, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).
- Trump: Coronavirus Won't Come Close to 'Worst-case Scenario' in US VOA 26 Feb 2020 -- President Donald Trump said Wednesday that he did not believe the coronavirus outbreak would be "anywhere near a worst-case scenario" in the United States.
- Health Officials Urge Governments to Ready Coronavirus Response VOA 26 Feb 2020 -- As China reported a continued slowdown in new coronavirus cases, world health officials praised the country's response while alerting other governments to be ready to aggressively react when cases appear within their borders.
- Iran Coronavirus Outbreak Strands Pakistani Visitors, Fuels Fear of Prison Contagions VOA 26 Feb 2020 -- Iran's growing coronavirus outbreak has triggered more angst in the country, preventing thousands of visiting Pakistanis from returning home and fueling fears of contagion in prisons.
- Coronavirus Outbreak Inside 2 S. Korean Medical Facilities Highlights Vulnerability of Disabled Patients VOA 26 Feb 2020 -- Coronavirus outbreaks inside two South Korean medical facilities reveal the vulnerability of people with disabilities to the disease that appears poised to become a global pandemic.
- Pakistan Detects First Coronavirus Cases, Links to Iran Outbreak VOA 26 Feb 2020 -- Health officials in Pakistan detected Wednesday the first two cases of coronavirus in the country, linking them with the outbreak in neighboring Iran.
- North Korea's Senior Officials Hold Meetings by Video Conference to Prevent Spread of Coronavirus Radio Free Asia 26 Feb 2020 -- The North Korean government conducting senior-level meetings by video conference instead of meeting face to face, as fears over the spread of the novel coronavirus reach even high-ranking senior officials in the reclusive country, including Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un himself, sources in the North told RFA.
- Iran's top security official decries US duplicity in virus allegation Press TV 26 Feb 2020 -- Iran's top security official has harshly rebuked the US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's allegation that Tehran is covering up details of the coronavirus spread in the country.
- Democrats Criticize Trump Administration's Coronavirus Response VOA 26 Feb 2020 -- The U.S. government response to the deepening coronavirus crisis split lawmakers Tuesday, as Congressional Democrats disagreed with President Donald Trump's assertion the virus has been contained within the United States.
- China's newly recovered coronavirus patients outnumber new infections for 8th day Global Times 26 Feb 2020 -- China's daily number of newly cured and discharged novel coronavirus patients has surpassed that of new infections for the eighth consecutive day, the National Health Commission said Wednesday.
- China has changed course of COVID-19 outbreak through pragmatic approach: WHO expert Global Times 26 Feb 2020 -- China has changed the course of COVID-19 outbreak, Bruce Aylward, an epidemiologist who led an advance team from the World Health Organization (WHO), said here on Tuesday, noting a rapidly escalating outbreak in China has plateaued and come down faster than previously expected.
- China to provide support to countries with weaker health systems: FM spokesperson People's Daily 26 Feb 2020 -- China will provide support within its capacity to countries with weaker health systems to help them strengthen their epidemic prevention and control capabilities, a foreign ministry spokesperson said Tuesday.
- World Braces For Spread Of New Virus As More Countries Report First Cases RFE/RL 26 Feb 2020 -- More than 30 countries have reported cases of a new coronavirus and there are five main clusters, raising concerns that efforts to contain the spread of COVID-19 have failed and the threshold of a pandemic is approaching.
- Iraq closes Shoushmi border with Iran IRNA 26 Feb 2020 -- Iraq closed its Shoushmi border with Iran's Kermanshah province on Tuesday morning as part of efforts to control the spread of Coronavirus, said Paveh Governor Parviz Idehpour.
- COVID-19 cases increase to 4 in Oman People's Daily 26 Feb 2020 -- Omani Ministry of Health revealed on Tuesday that the number of COVID-19 cases in Oman has risen to four.
- S. Korea confirms 144 more cases of COVID-19, 977 in total People's Daily 26 Feb 2020 -- South Korea confirmed 144 more cases of the COVID-19 on Tuesday, raising the total number of infections to 977, and the death toll rose to 10.
- Spain's coronavirus cases rise to five as one confirmed on its mainland People's Daily 26 Feb 2020 -- The first case of novel coronavirus on Spain's mainland was confirmed on Tuesday, bringing the country's total to five.
- Algeria confirms 1st COVID-19 case People's Daily 26 Feb 2020 -- Algerian Health Minister Abderrahmane Benbouzid on Tuesday announced that the first COVID-19 case was detected in the country.
- Researches into Prevention of COVID-19 Make Brisk Headway Uriminzokkiri 26 Feb 2020 -- The sci-tech research institutes of the DPRK are now giving priority to developing antiviral medicines in order to take prompt measures in case a patient infected with COVID-19 is spotted in the country.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|