07 February 2020 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 18 WHO 07 February 2020
- WHO Emergencies Press Conference on novel coronavirus - 7 February 2020 WHO
- U.S. calls on WHO to engage directly with Taiwan CNA 07 Feb 2020 -- The United States called on the World Health Organization (WHO) during a meeting Thursday to directly engage with Taiwan to better aid the global effort against the 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) which has been declared a global health emergency.
- Mainland urges Taiwan authority to stop impeding Taiwan compatriots returning from Hubei CNA 07 Feb 2020 -- A Chinese mainland spokesperson Thursday urged the Taiwan authority to stop impeding Taiwan compatriots stranded in the coronavirus-hit Hubei Province from returning to the island.
- Taiwan Hits Out at China's Management of Evacuation Flight, Quarantine Radio Free Asia 07 Feb 2020 -- The democratic island of Taiwan has called on China to prioritize the most vulnerable of its nationals when arranging their evacuation from the central Chinese city of Wuhan, which is at the center of the coronavirus epidemic.
- Virginia National Guard Soldiers staged and ready Army News 07 Feb 2020 -- The Virginia National Guard has staged approximately ten Soldiers and three vehicles for state emergency support duty Feb. 7th in the Richlands and Tazewell County areas. They are ready to assist local and state emergency agencies in responding to potential impacts from heavy rains and flooding. The Soldiers are staged with light/medium tactical trucks for high water transportation. The VNG also has a rotary-wing aviation rescue hoist crew on standby.
- Most Taiwan-China passenger flights to be halted CNA 07 Feb 2020 -- All passenger flights between Taiwan and China will be halted from Feb. 10 to April 29, with the exception of those to five destinations in China, the Central Epidemic Command Center announced Friday.
- NHI agency hoping for improvement in mask rationing system CNA 07 Feb 2020 -- Amid difficulties in getting face masks under the government's rationing system, the National Health Insurance Administration (NHIA) is hoping that the situation will improve in the near future.
- Taiwan to quarantine those who transited through China, Hong Kong, Macau CNA 07 Feb 2020 -- Starting on Monday, travelers who have transited through China, Hong Kong or Macau on their way to Taiwan will be quarantined for 14 days upon arrival, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Friday.
- Cross-strait ferry services to be halted from Monday CNA 07 Feb 2020 -- Taiwan's Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) announced on Friday that ferry services between its offshore islands and China's Fujian Province will be halted from Monday due to the growing threat posed by the Wuhan coronavirus.
- Taiwan prioritizing vulnerable people, quarantine for Wuhan evacuations CNA 07 Feb 2020 -- Taiwan on Friday reiterated its stance on evacuating Taiwanese nationals from the Chinese city of Wuhan, the epicenter of the new coronavirus, saying that its priorities are helping vulnerable people and sticking to the highest level of quarantine measures.
- Supervisory body probes after Li's death Global Times 07 Feb 2020 -- Doctor remembered as hero who could have contained epidemic at early stage
- Chinese hospitals discharge 1,540 recovered patients of coronavirus infection Global Times 07 Feb 2020 -- A total of 1,540 patients infected with the novel coronavirus had been discharged from hospital after recovery by the end of Thursday, Chinese health authorities announced Friday.
- Hubei still short of at least 2,250 medical personnel Global Times 07 Feb 2020 -- Central China's Hubei Province is still in short of at least 2,250 medical personnel in face of the novel coronavirus outbreak, said a provincial official.
- China sends over 11,000 medics to Wuhan amid epidemic People's Daily 07 Feb 2020 -- Chinese health authorities have sent more than 11,000 medics, including the country's best ICU staff, to the city of Wuhan, the epicenter of the novel coronavirus outbreak, an official said on Friday.
- Wuhan combs communities to leave no coronavirus patient unattended People's Daily 07 Feb 2020 -- Wuhan, the epicenter of the novel coronavirus outbreak, is combing communities to ensure every confirmed or suspected patient is located and attended to as a senior official vowed to nail any official deserter "to history's pillar of shame."
- National supervisory commission sends group to investigate issues involving Dr. Li Wenliang People's Daily 07 Feb 2020 -- The National Supervisory Commission has decided to dispatch an inspection group to Wuhan, capital city of Hubei Province and the epicenter of the novel coronavirus outbreak, to thoroughly investigate issues related to Dr. Li Wenliang.
- Xi talks with Trump over phone on novel coronavirus outbreak People's Daily 07 Feb 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping spoke over phone with U.S. President Donald Trump on Friday morning.
- Chinese Doctor Who Blew Whistle on Virus Dies After Treatment 'Delay' Radio Free Asia 07 Feb 2020 -- A whistleblowing Wuhan doctor hauled in by China's state security police after he and colleagues tried to warn the authorities about the coronavirus has died of the disease, sparking an outcry on the country's usually tightly regulated social media platforms.
- Coronavirus Cases Climb to 17 in Sichuan's Kardze Prefecture Radio Free Asia 07 Feb 2020 -- Confirmed cases of Wuhan coronavirus infection in Sichuan's Kardze Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture have now jumped to 17, Tibetan writer Woeser and a social media site run by the state-linked Khampa TV news outlet said on Feb. 6.
- Fifteen Repatriated North Korean Refugees Kept Quarantined for Coronavirus in 'Dangerous' Tuberculosis Hospital Radio Free Asia 07 Feb 2020 -- As the coronavirus epidemic rages on in China, authorities in North Korea have quarantined a group of 15 refugees that were captured in China and repatriated with the help of Chinese police, placing them in a facility meant to isolate patients with open cases of tuberculosis, RFA has learned.
- Vietnam Reports 13th Coronavirus Case as China's Neighbors Cope With Outbreak Fallout Radio Free Asia 07 Feb 2020 -- Vietnam raised its tally of coronavirus cases to 13, while authorities in Myanmar continued to search for missing Chinese travelers from Wuhan, the outbreak epicenter, as China's Southeast Asian neighbors wrestled with the economic and health consequences of the deadly outbreak.
- Hong Kong Medics to End Strike as City Imposes Quarantine on Travelers Radio Free Asia 07 Feb 2020 -- Thousands of Hong Kong medical workers voted to end their strike on Friday, as the city's government warned that anyone breaking a mandatory 14-day quarantine could be jailed for up to six months.
- The United States Announces Assistance to Combat the Novel Coronavirus US Dept. of State 07 Feb 2020 -- This week the State Department has facilitated the transportation of nearly 17.8 tons of donated medical supplies to the Chinese people, including masks, gowns, gauze, respirators, and other vital materials. These donations are a testament to the generosity of the American people.
- Coronavirus: demand for face masks creates shortfall for those in real need UN News 07 Feb 2020 -- Unprecedented global demand for face masks and other protective equipment fuelled by the coronavirus epidemic, has created potentially dangerous shortages for those who need them most, the World Health Organization (WHO) announced on Friday.
- ONDCP Releases Data on Poppy Cultivation and Potential Opium Production in Afghanistan The White House 07 Feb 2020
- Statement from the Press Secretary The White House 07 Feb 2020
- Medicines for Preventing Novel Coronavirus Infection Produced in DPRK KCNA 07 Feb 2020 -- The Biomedicine Institute of the Academy of Medical Science in the DPRK has recently increased the production of medicines amid a brisk campaign for preventing the novel coronavirus infection.
- China's Virus May Break Phase One Deal Radio Free Asia 07 Feb 2020 -- Just two weeks after the United States and China called a truce in their two-year trade war, the outbreak of the coronavirus has threatened to put the agreement on hold.
- Virus 'whistleblower' doctor in Wuhan dies from coronavirus Global Times 07 Feb 2020 -- Chinese doctor Li Wenliang, one of the eight "whistleblowers" who tried to warn other medics of the coronavirus outbreak but were reprimanded by local police, died from coronavirus early on Friday, the hospital where he received treatment announced.
- Doctor who warned of coronavirus dies from the virus People's Daily 07 Feb 2020 -- Dr Li Wenliang, one of eight people who tried to warn about the novel coronavirus when it first emerged in Wuhan, now the epic center of the disease, but was reprimanded by local police, was proclaimed dead on Friday from the virus, according to the Central Hospital of Wuhan.
- China reports 3,143 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection, 73 new deaths People's Daily 07 Feb 2020 -- Chinese health authorities Friday said it received reports of 3,143 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 73 deaths on Thursday from 31 provincial-level regions and the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps.
- China's Hubei reports 2,447 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection People's Daily 07 Feb 2020 -- Central China's Hubei Province reported 2,447 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 69 new deaths on Thursday, local health authorities said Friday.
- Chinese President Xi Jinping Says Measures to Fight Coronavirus Have Brought Positive Results Sputnik 07 Feb 2020 -- An outbreak of pneumonia caused by a new strain of coronavirus was originally identified in the Chinese city of Wuhan in Hubei province last December and has since spread to more than 25 countries.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|