Rubtsovsk Machine-building Plant
In 1959 the Central Committee of CPSU and USSR Council of Ministers came to the decision to organize a plant for manufacturing tracked vehicles in the Altai territory On December 26, 1959 a technical meeting approving detailed design on construction of tracked vehicles plant in the city of Rubtsovsk was held in the Construction Department of the territory Sovnarkhos (National economy council). That date - December 26, 1959 - became the foundation date of Rubtsovsk Machine-building Plant.
The city of Rubtsovsk is located in the South of the Altai Krai, and borders with China, Mongolia and Kazakhstan. About 164,000 people inhabit the city, which is just 100 kilometers from a site where the Soviet Union began nuclear testing in the 1940s. Its main industries are agriculture and agricultural machinery engineering. Its largest enterprises are Alttrack (manufacturing of farm tractors, , Sibagromash (production of cultivating machines, such as ploughs and harrows, Avtotraktornoe ElectroOborudovanie (production of generators, Machine-Building Factory (production of tracked machinery, TractoroZapchast (production of spare parts for tractors, and Melnik (flour production).
Raisa Gorbachev, the wife of former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev, was born and spent almost 20 years in Rubtsovsk, Altai Krai.
Solomon L.Belakhov was appointed the first chief engineer and acting director of the plant. In 1960 Vasily S.Sorokin was appointed director of the plant. In 1961 block of shops Nol comprising stamping-and-press shop, welding-and-painting shop, mechanic shop, thermal and galvanic bay, tool shop, mechanic-and-assembly shop was put into operation. By the end of 1961 two first hulls of article `21` were manufactured. In March 1962 the main article `21` assembly line was put into operation. At the same time two first vehicles were assembled and handed over. By the end of 1962, the first batch of items (5 pcs) was manufactured. In 1963 Georgy P.KhiIko was appointed director of the plant.
During the period of the 8th 5-year plan engineers and workers of the plant were working fruitfully on creation of new types of tracked vehicles - they brought modified vehicles GT-T (tracked tractor carrier) to quantity production. Timber-floating vehicle created at the plant on the base of GT-T was exposed at the Exhibition of National Ecnomic Achievement of the USSR, and the plant was awarded the First Class Prize of that Exhibition. In 1963 to GTT "21" vehicles a month were manufactured, and by the end of 1966 110-120 vehicles a month were manufactured. In 1965 Yuri G.Rudnev was appointed director of the plant.
In 1967 Rubtsovsk Machine-building Plant began manufacturing separate parts and units for BMP-1 (AIFV) that were delivered on cooperation to Kurgan Machine-building plant (final drives, transmissions). In 1968 Rubtsovsk Machine-building plant organized a branch for manufacturing vehicles GT-T in Semipalatinsk (Kazakhstan), and since 1977 Semipalatinsk branch began manufacturing GT-T and KLP vehicles (wheel-and-ski trailer).
In 1983 that branch became an independent machine-building plant. In 1973 Rubtsovsk Machine-building plant produced first two BRM-1K vehicles (combat commander's reconnaissance vehicles) - article "676" on the base of Kurgan Machine-building plant. In 1976 Anatoly M.Perevoznov was appointed director of the plant. In 1983 the plant was awarded Order of the Red Banner and the USSR State Prize for creation of two-member tracked vehicles.
In 1979 the plant began manufacturing PRP-3 vehicles (armoured reconnaissance vehicles), in 1980 - BMP-lKSh vehicles (AlFVs). In 1984-1999 modernization of PRP was carried out (articles "779", "503", "508", "509").
In 1992 the plant began manufacturing tracked railroad repair vehicles (GPL-520).
In 1993 the plant started quantity production of BRM-3K vehicles, and since 1995 - RMG (tracked repair vehicle).
Basing on units of BMP-1 (AIFV), a number of tracked vehicles for national economy was designed and put to quantity production. In 1998 the plant began quantity production of sowing-and-soil-cultivating complex PPK.-12.4 (operating width 12.4 m), in 1999 - manufacturing precise seeding machines STK.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|