Find a Security Clearance Job!

Military


Object 483 chemical tank [Flamethrower tank]

The Soviet Union decided not only to catch up with the best Western designs, but also to do better. This flamethrower tank based on the T-54 was built and even tested in 1959. For this, they invented a high-explosive type OM-250 flamethrower, which allowed them to fire with a fiery 100-liter stream at a speed of 100 m / s. The maximum speed of the jet is 100 m / s, 1 shot is 100 liters of the mixture, and these are 5-6 WWII infantry flamethrowers. The distance of fire reached 270m and the rate of fire 5 shots per minute.

The flame-throwing tank "Object 483" was developed on the basis of the medium tank T-54 in 1957 in Kharkov by the design bureau of the plant. Malysheva, headed by chief designer A.A. Morozov. A high-power tank flamethrower OM-250 was developed at the SKB-1 of this plant, which was headed by F.A. Mostovoy. The prototype of the car was made on the basis of the T-55 tank in 1959, tested at the NIIBT test site in 1962, and work was suspended on this ethane. The tank was not accepted for service.

It differed from the base machine by the installation in the embrasure of the tower as the main weapon of the high-power flamethrower OM-250 powder type. The installation of the flamethrower allowed the crew to be reduced to three people by excluding the loader from its composition. Compared to the shot capacity of the ATO-1 and ATO-200 tank flamethrowers, the fire shot capacity was increased respectively from 20 and 35 liters to 100 liters, that is, to the maximum value for jet flamethrowers, according to the flammability conditions of the used fire mixtures.

The flamethrower unit, in addition to the flamethrower, included an air system, a pyrotechnic ignition system, and a hydraulic and gas system. The flamethrower was installed on the pins in the embrasure of the tower. For the vertical pickup of the flamethrower, a screw lifting mechanism was used; for the horizontal pickup, a regular mechanism for rotating the tower with electromotive and manual drives. In front of the flamethrower was installed balancing mechanism. The flamethrower consisted of a cylinder 1616 mm long and 280 mm in diameter. Inside the cylinder under the action of powder gases moved the piston, which pushed the fire mixture. A drum was installed on the back of the cylinder, to which 14 chambers were attached to install 80 mm caliber powder cartridges in them. The drum was installed on the needle shafts and could be rotated around the cylinder to install the next powder cartridge against the gas chamber receiving window - the cavity between the rear cylinder cover and the piston. To ignite the fire mixture, a pyrotechnic ignition system was used, consisting of a drum with 15 sockets for the installation of pyrotechnic cartridges and an electric igniter system.

The air system was combined with the engine air start system and included three main 30-liter cylinders in the control compartment and two auxiliary 40-liter cylinders that were installed on the hull armor aft sheet. The air system provided the supply of fire mixture from the tank to the cylinder of the flamethrower under a pressure of 0.49 MPa (5 kgf / cm ') and the purging of the hydraulic path of the flamethrower after the shot. The release of fire mixture from the cylinder through the nozzles and the flamethrower tip was produced by the piston under the action of the gases of the fired powder cartridge. During the passage of the fire mixture through the nozzles, it was ignited by a squib, the electric igniter of which was triggered by pressing the electric shutter release button during firing. The electric trigger button was mounted on the handle of the handwheel of the turret mechanism. After the shot, the exhaust gases were emitted through a tube in the aft part of the tower. For aiming flamethrowing periscopic sight was used.

The fire emission rate reached 100 m / s and its further increase was limited by the strength of the flamethrower design. The maximum range of flame throwing was 250 m. The flame thrower allowed firing both in line and single shots at a rate of 5 shots / min. Capacity flamethrower tank provided the production of 14 fire shots. For flamethrowing, fire mixtures of the brand-name BBU and SKS-15 with a combustion temperature increased to 1000 C were used. At the design stage, a 7.62-mm machine gun in the turret was used as an additional weapon of the tank, as well as two aircraft rocket launchers with 16 57-mm active-rocket shells each on the sides of the turret. In the manufacture of a prototype flamethrower tank, this technical solution was abandoned for layout and tactical reasons. As an additional weapon, only the exchange rate 7.62-mm machine gun SGMT was left.

The armor protection of the vehicle was maintained at the level of the base tank. The body of the car inside has undergone significant alterations. In the forward part of the hull front fuel tanks were removed and the ammunition was removed. To the right of the workplace of the driver, a course machine gun and three 30-liter air cylinders were installed. A large round hatch was made in the stern of the tower, into which a cylindrical pipe welded in, closed behind by an armored lid on bolts, was welded. A vertical pipe was welded to the nozzle, in which a fan was installed to cool the gas chamber of the flamethrower. In the roof of the tower there was a hatch for installing a periscope sight. Inside the tower, to the right of the flamethrower, there was a 1500-liter tank for fire mixture, which was rotated with the tower. The right hatch in the roof of the tower was used for inspecting and filling the tank with fire mixture.

A fourth carbon dioxide cylinder and two heat illuminators placed in the area of the tank with fire mixture were additionally introduced into the NGO. The power plant, transmission and chassis compared with those used on the base machine have not changed.

The increase in the capacity of the firing shot made it impossible to place a cannon and machine guns paired with it in the regular turret, and their absence limited the combat use of the tank only by solving special tasks, and also unmasked the combat vehicle. For this reason, further work on the flamethrower tank of this design was discontinued. The basic difference from similar machines was the complete absence of a gun, so in 1961 the project was closed.

Statusan experienced tank, made in a single copy.
Crew4 people (driver, gunner, loader and commander)
Designsimilar to T-54B.
Armor
case front100 mm
tower forehead200 mm
Enginediesel V-54 power 520 hp
Case length6017 mm.
Width3270 mm.
Height2400 mm.
Ground clearance425 mm
Weight35 tons
Specific ground pressure0.8 kg / sq. Cm
Specific power14.9 hp / t
Overcoming obstacles
rise30 degrees.
ford1.4 m
Speed on the highway50 km / h
range500 km
Armament
  • OM-250 flamethrower (installed instead of a cannon, vertical-pointing screw drive, horizontal - electric).
  • 7.62 mm SGMT machine gun (mounted in the upper front hull plate)
  • Ammunition1750 patr.
    Equipment
  • Optical sight, radio station R-113.
  • Means of setting the smoke screen TDA.
  • Obiect 483 Flamethrower tank Obiect 483 Flamethrower tank Obiect 483 Flamethrower tank Obiect 483 Flamethrower tank Obiect 483 Flamethrower tank Obiect 483 Flamethrower tank Obiect 483 Flamethrower tank Obiect 483 Flamethrower tank



    Obiect 483 Flamethrower tank



    NEWSLETTER
    Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list



    US Policy Toward Africa: Eight Decades of Realpolitik - Herman J Cohen's Latest Book
     
    Page last modified: 10-04-2019 10:16:51 ZULU