Forty One Squadron has been involved in many roles since its formation at Air Force Base Waterkloof on 16 October 1940. Originally being formed as an army co-operation Squadron, it then became a jetfighter squadron, then once again an army co-operation squadron and presently serves as a light aircraft transport squadron. The first type of aircraft to be operated by the Squadron was the Hawker Hartebees. During September and October 1941 the Squadron converted onto mohawkaircraft and received Spitfire Mk1X aircraft during February 1944.
The Squadron was disbanded on the 30th October 1944, with its members either being transferred to other SAAF Squadrons or returning home to South Africa. In January 1963 the Squadron was reformed as an army co-operation unit, based at Potchefstroom operating Auser and Cessna 185 aircraft.
During October 1968 41 Squadron was incorporated into SAAF and was based at AFB Swartkop. During February 1974 the Squadron received its first Bosbok aircraft and during July 1976 the first Atlas built Kudu aircraft was received by the Squadron. The State President Dr N.J. Diederichs presented their colours on 15 October 1976. The Kudu aircraft were officially withdrawn from S.W.A. (Namibia) on 14 November 1989 and during July 1988 the Squadron received Cessna 208 Caravan aircraft, which are presently operated in the light transport role. During 1993 and 1994 the Squadron received two Beechcraf King Air aircraft, which supplement the Cessna 208 fleet of aircraft.
41 Squadron was officially welcomed at AFB Waterkloof on 7 May 1991.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|