21 Squadron is responsible for the supply, development and maintenance of the desired air capabilities and support elements to all interest groups. In short this means that 21 Squadron conducts VIP Missions in a professional and cost effective way.
21 Squadron SAAF was founded on 8 May 1941 at Nakuru, East Africa. The Squadron was equipped with Maryland aircraft, and consisted of members from No's 11,15 and 16 Squadrons.
Period 1841 to 1945
During this period the Squadron undertook operational flights in North Africa and Italy using Maryland, and later Marauder aircraft. No 21 Squadron combined with other squadrons to form No.3 Wing, South African Air Force. Immediately after the war the Squadron was reformed for a short period and was equipped with Ventrus aircraft.
Period 1968 to 1982
During February 1968, 21 Squadron's role was redefined to that of a VIP Air Transport Squadron and drew its members from the VIP flight of No. 28 Squadron. Originally the Squadron was equipped with 3 Dakotas (Rustig, Elandsberg and Fleur) and a Viscount aircraft (Kasteel). Subsequent additions to Squadron types were the Mercurus and the Merlin IV A aircraft which replaced the Dakotas.
Period from 1982
During September 1982 the first Falcon 50 aircraft was acquired, and a Citation II was leased by the SA Air Force and stationed at the Squadron. This aircraft was later bought by the SA Air Force. Another Falcon 50 was acquired in December 1985, and a Falcon 900 in October 1991. The Falcon 900 then became the flagship of the Squadron. During 1994 another Citation II, previously operated by one of the TBVC States was restationed at the Squadron. After 28 years service the HS-125's were officially withdrawn from service in 1998.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|