113 Squadron - The Hornet
The Israeli Air Force formed the 113 squadron on October 4, 1955 as the first squadron to fly 24 of the MD450B Ouragan aircraft. The 113 squadron saw combat during 1956 and also during the Six Day War in 1967, suffering eight losses during that conflict.
In November 1972, the 113 squadron began receiving Israel's Nesher aircraft, which had replaced the Ouragans by January 1973. Israeli Air Force began receiving the Kfir C-1 aircraft in the 1970s and the 113 squadron received its first 20 in 1976. These units were upgraded to the Kfir C-2 in 1979 and participated in attacks on Lebanon positions in 1982 before the squandron was disbanded in 1987.
In September 1990, squadron 113 was reformed to include a new shipment of AH-64A Apache helicopters. By 1993, the 113 squadron had 25 AH-64A units. As of 2005, the 113 squadron flew exlusively AH-64D Apache helicopters.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|