Protocols of the Elders of Zion
The Protocols of the Elders of Zion are a notoriousforgery, written by Russian anti-Semites in the early 20th century, which purport to reveal a plot for Jewish domination of the world. Nineteenth century anti-Semites needed an image of the Jew frightening enough to make the Russian peasant see him as the enemy rather than the Czar. To give support to these accusations, Czar Nicholas II asked the monk Sergei Nilus to come up with "proof" of an international Jewish conspiracy. Nilus obligingly produced a set of forged documents in a book called Protocols of the Elders of Zion.
Pyotr Rachkovsky, probably the ablest head of the Okhrana's Foreign Bureau, was a pioneer. He refined the art of what today is called active measures or perceptions management techniques. According to one authority, Rachkovsky was a "born intriguer" who "delighted" in forging documents. He allegedly was among those responsible for the anti-Semitic Protocols of the Elders of Zion, perhaps the most infamous political forgery of the 20th century.
The Protocols were partially based on an admittedly fictional work called Biarritz, written by Hermann Goedsche and published in 1868. It contains a rather imaginative chapter called "In the Jewish Cemetery in Prague." A secret meeting takes place in this cemetery between thirteen old, white-bearded Jews, each of whom is supposed to represent one of the twelve tribes of Israel, plus a thirteenth who speaks for "the unfortunates of the exiles." This is actually the latest in a series of meetings that have occurred once every century ever since the Jews were exiled from the land of Israel. The representatives report on how their activities, ranging from undermining the Church to fomenting revolution, have helped the Jews move toward their eventual goal of taking control of the world.
The Protocols was widely published, reprinted, and distributed. Millions throughout the world, including many Americans, accepted it as true. The Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion purports to be the master plan for a great conspiracy to destroy Christianity and to achieve world domination. It consists of 24 protocols, which are summarised as:
- Seduce and demoralize the youth with false doctrines.
- Destroy the family life.
- Dominate humanity by Preying upon their lower instincts and vices.
- Debase and vulgarize Art, and introduce filth in Literature.
- Destroy respect for religions; undermine the reputation of the clergy through scandalous stories and back up the so called "Higher Criticism" so that the old fundamental faith is shattered and quarrels and controversies become permanent in the churches.
- Introduce the habit for luxuries, crazy fashions and spendthrift ideas so that the ality for enjoying clean and plain pleasures is lost.
- Divert the attention of the people by public amusements, sports, games, prize contests, etc., so that there is no time for thinking.
- Confuse and bewilder the minds of the people by false theories and shatter the nerves and health by continuously introducing new poisons.
- Instigate class hatred and class war among the different classes of people.
- Dispossess the old Aristocracy, which still keeps up high traditions by excessive taxes and replace it with the "Knights of the Golden Calf."
- Poison the relations between the employees and employers through strikes and lockouts so as to ruin the possibility of productive co-operation.
- Demoralize by all means the higher classes of society and by adverse publicity raise the hate of the people toward them.
- Use industry to ruin agriculture and then in its turn destroy industry by wild speculation.
- Spread all possible utopian theories so as to bring the people into a labyrinth of impractical ideas.
- Raise the rate of wages, which however will not bring any advantage to the workers for at the same time we shall produce a rise in the price of the first necessities of life.
- Cause diplomatic friction and misunderstanding between States which will increase international suspicions and hate thereby greatly augmenting armaments.
- Introduce in all states, general suffrage so that the destiny of nations depend upon ignorant people.
- Overthrow all monarchies and substitute republics for them; in so far as possible fill important state offices with persons who are involved in some unlawful affair and who will, from fear of being exposed, remain our obedient servants.
- Gradually amend all constitutions so as to prepare the soil for absolute despotism and Bolshevism.
- Establish huge monopolies upon which even the great fortunes of the Gentiles will depend to such an extent that they will be swallowed up at the "hour" when the industrial crisis will start.
- Destroy all financial stability; increase economic depressions to the extent of bringing a general world bankruptcy;
- stop the wheels of industry; make bonds, stocks and paper money worthless; accumulate all the gold of the world in the hands of a certain few people thus withdrawing tremendous capital from circulation;
- at a given hour close all the exchanges, withdraw all credits and cause general panic.
- Prepare the death struggle of the nations; wear out humanity through suffering, fear and shortage of food - hunger creates slaves!!!
Traditional forms of anti-Semitism continue to plague societies worldwide. Conspiracy theories continue to flourish, such as supposed Jewish control of the U.S. media and the world banking system, or that Jewish persons were involved in executing the September 11 attacks. The Protocols of the Elders of Zion continue to be best sellers in many, many countries, and taught to religious students as truth. The 'old fashioned' anti-Semitism is alive and well. The Protocols of the Elders of Zion have been a staple of anti-Semitic and anti-Israel propaganda for decades and have long since been discredited by all reputable scholars.
In November 2002, a number of government controlled television stations in Egypt began broadcasting a multi-part series, ''Horseman Without a Horse'', based on the Protocols of the Elders of Zion and conspiracy myths about Jewish global domination. The broadcast of this series took place in the context of a sustained pattern of vitriolic anti-Semitic commentary and depictions in the Egyptian government-sponsored press, which had gone unanswered by the Government of Egypt. The US Department of State urged Egypt and otherArab states not to broadcast this program, saying "We don't think government TV stations should be broadcasting programs that we consider racist and untrue."
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|