Larsen & Toubro L&T Shipbuilding
Larsen & Toubro is an Indian multinational engaged in technology, engineering, construction, manufacturing and financial services with over USD 18 billion in revenue. It operates in over 30 countries worldwide. A strong, customer–focused approach and the constant quest for top-class quality have enabled L&T to attain and sustain leadership in its major lines of business for eight decades. L&T’s long-term commitment and ethos significantly harmonize with the Govt’s ‘Make in India’ program as OPVs, FDN and IBs have all been designed completely in-house at L&T’s Warship Design Centre, a unique feat in itself.
L&T Shipbuilding operates two modern shipyards – one on the east coast at Kattupalli, near the metropolitan city of Chennai, the capital of the state of Tamil Nadu and the other one on the west coast of India at Hazira, near the city of Surat in Gujarat. The corporate headquarters of L&T Shipbuilding and a state-of-the-art Warship Design Center are located in Chennai, India. At both shipyards, building of Warships, Submarines, Auxiliary Vessels / Crafts and Specialised Commercial Ships are undertaken. In addition Kattupalli shipyard also undertakes Repairs and Refits of both Defence and Commercial ships.
A mega shipyard is located at Kattupalli, about 40 km north of Chennai. The state-of-the-art yard is equipped with automatic blasting and priming line, plasma cutting machine and advanced hydraulic press / forming machines and large assembly workshops with heavy material handling facilities. The yard's build strategy maximizes pre-outfitting at the block level. Marine coating shops and pipe shops are designed to handle the complete load of the yard. A Pipe shop, Electrical shop and Machine shop add to productivity. Dedicated shops are available for Ship Repairs, Refits and Mid-Life Upgrade activities. In April 2019, the yard achieved a five star grading from its Five Star Occupational Health and Safety Audit conducted by the British Safety Council, making it the first Indian shipyard to achieve the feat and positioning it amongst a select few in the world.
The Hazira shipyard is located within the L&T Hazira Manufacturing Complex, a world-class heavy manufacturing facility. The yard has the capability to build sophisticated mid-sized ships up to 20,000 deadweight capacity and 160 meters in length. The yard maximizes pre-outfitting at the block level. A slipway enables controlled side launching of vessels.
L&T has undertaken complex mission-critical projects towards Nation Building in all strategic sectors. In the Defence sector, L&T undertakes design and development of equipment and systems as well as platforms. L&T is proud to have been associated with the Design Engineering and Construction of India’s first nuclear powered submarine, demonstrating multi-disciplinary capabilities for Engineering and Construction of complex Naval platforms.
L&T’s shipbuilding portfolio includes:
- Frontline Warships: Frigates, Destroyers, Corvettes
- Special Platforms: Landing Platform Dock
- Diving, Survey and Research Vessels
- Auxiliary Vessels: Offshore Patrol Vessels, Floating Dock
- Interceptor Boats, Fast Speed Boats etc.
With a focus on modular design and construction, the major strengths of L&T in Defence shipbuilding are:
- In-house Design Centres for Warships and Submarines, equipped with the latest Design tools, including a Virtual Reality Studio
- Design and development of platform specific equipment and systems
- State-of-the-art yard infrastructure at Kattupalli and Hazira
- Trained Manpower
- Multi-site Project Management skills and financial strength
Design of Naval ships are undertaken in-house and basic designs of Interceptor Boats, Offshore Patrol Vessels, Corvettes etc. which can be adapted to customer requirements. 3D Modelling integrated with Product Lifecycle Management and other Design and Analysis software suites enable accuracy, revision control and output aligned with yard infrastructure.
L&T is executing following Defence shipbuilding projects:
- Design and construction of 54 high-speed Interceptor Boats and for Indian Coast Guard
- Design and construction of 07 Offshore Patrol Vessels for Indian Coast Guard
- L&T has delivered an indigenously designed and constructed Floating Dock to the Indian Navy.
On the equipment front, the following marine systems have been developed and supplied for different classes of ships:
- Marine Engineering: Steering Gear, Stabilisers, Propulsion shafting for Ships and submarines, special heat exchangers, Thrust Blocks, Special Seals, Stern Gear sub-systems, Line shaft Bearings
- Weapon Launch Systems: Torpedo Launching systems, Rocket Launchers, Anti-Submarine Rocket Launchers, BrahMos inclined and Vertical Missile launchers. Dhanush weapon system, Fire Control Systems for these launch systems.
- Sensor Systems. Revathi Radar stabilised platforms, Winch handling systems for Towed Array Sonars, ATAS, ATDS, etc.
- Control Systems: Combat Management System, Integrated Platform Management System, Integrated Bridge System, Automated Power Management System etc.
- Electrical systems: Main (AC/DC) switchboards, distribution Boards, Starters, ACOS, Control Panels, Ship Degaussing Systems etc.
- Auxiliary systems. Helicopter Landing Gear, Replenishment at Sea (RSA) equipment, blast-proof hanger shutters, Boat Davits, special pressure-proof hatches and doors etc.
- Communication Systems: Special Modems, VHF / UHF Linking Equipment, secure quick communication Interface for interfacing with foreign Navies during joint exercises
In addition to Design, Engineering and Construction of warships, L&T offers lifecycle management and mid-life upgrades for warships, submarines and auxiliary vessels. The Navy & Coast Guard therefore secures total solutions from concept design to delivery and in-service maintenance support.
L&T Shipbuilding undertakes Ship Repairs, Refits and Mid-Life Upgrades catering to Defence Ships, Submarines and Commercial Ships. The shipyard has a shiplift of 200 m x 46 m with Nominal Lifting Capacity of 21050 tons (future extension planned for larger vessels) along with transfer system and adequate number of dry and wet berths. They enable multiple berthing and quick turnaround of ships. With well-equipped production shops, L&T Shipbuilding can undertake all kinds of repair jobs including specialized jobs such as Hull Treatment, Main Engine / DG Routines, Auxiliary Equipment Jobs, PGD / Control System Jobs, Propeller Repairs etc.
One of the major requirements for ship repairs is the timely availability of spares for vessels. Towards this end L&T's global network of offices ensures speedy procurement and clearance of both indigenous and imported spares. The work force is vertically specialized and is committed to meet the customer expectations of timely delivery at reasonable costs. L&T has undertaken the refits and repairs of many vessels of Indian Navy and Indian Coast Guard. This includes Medium Refits of Indian Navy’s Fleet Tanker INS Jyoti and Offshore Patrol Vessels of Indian Coast Guard.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|