Svendborg Shipyard was a Danish shipyard, which was located in Svendborg. The shipyard was founded by ship builder George Ring Andersen in 1907 as Ring Andersen Steel Shipyard. Andersen had since 1867 operated a shipyard at Frederiks in Svendborg Harbor. In 1907, the extended family owned production with a new steel shipyard on the island's northern part. Ship construction went well during the Great War, and in 1916 was "Ring Andersen Staalskibsværft" was bought by a public company, after which it changed its name to "A / S Svendborg Shipyard and Machine Building".
Svendborg shipyard, just like the rest of the shipbuilding industry, had a turbulent history with different owners, bankruptcies and repeated threats of closure. Svendborg emerged from bankruptcy in the middle 1920's, but it limped along for the rest of the decade and went bankrupt again in the Great Depression. There have also been favorable periods with large orders and many employees. In its heyday Svendborg Shipyard supplied ships particularlly to the Navy and Marine Guard.
Svendborg Shipyard got its present shape in 1917-18 when the new owners built a number of key buildings. In 1920 bridges and railroad tracks to the mainland were constructed. The Administration building is an imposing building from 1918 in reinforced concrete clad in red brick. Here were furnished offices, studio and archive. The original power station, also from 1918, was built along with the administration building and was later withdrawn for office purposes. In contrast is a large building complex that originally housed machine shop, boiler smithy and smithy. These buildings are reinforced concrete and covered with distinctive curved roofs.
Throughout the 20th-century, there were several new buildings at the shipyard area, while the older buildings along the way has been given new functions. Most noteworthy is the large halls of the 1970s and -80 's with their apparel of blue corrugated iron sheets. Originally the yard had three slipways, which around 1960 were replaced by one large berth with two shipbuilding cranes. During the same period were built three new docks in addition to the old dock from 1911. Wooden boat yard located on the northern part of Frederiksø with slipways, administration buildings and materials cures.
After several years of economic difficulties, the company declared bankruptcy in 1999. With help from local investors were subsequently established a new company, Repair Yard Svendborg A / S, which only conducted repair work. This company closed permanently in 2001. The area was subsequently taken over by the wind turbine manufacturer Vestas. Family Ring Andersen small shipyard still exists however and recipient vessels for repair, refurbishment and rigging.
Fyen was a stift, or province, of Denmark, consisting of the islands of Funen, Langeland, Taasing, and several islets. The area is 1284 square miles ; the population in 1850 was 187,818. It was a bishop's see; and was divided into the two circles or bailiwicks of Odense and Svendborg, which were subdivided iuto 15 minor circles, or herreder, and contain 3 earldoms, 4 baronies, 9 towns, and 201 parishes. The soil is a layer of rich loam on a substratum of clay or sand : it has some hills, but no streams deserving the name of rivers. The climate is damp and variable, but milder than that of Seeland.
Svendborg, the chief town of the bailiwick of this name, is at the south-eastern extremity of Funen, on an arm of the Baltic which separates that island from Tossing. It has two churches of the 12th cent., a town-hall, three schools, and nearly 4000 inhabitants in 1850. Ship-building was carried on ; there were some distilleries, and a good deal of grain and other country produce is exported. In the mid-19th Centuery Svendborg was an insignificant but excessively prettily situated town. The neighbourhood abounds in pretty walks and views.
In Svendborg and on Taasinge, there was a prosperous shipbuilding trade, favored by the deep water and safe anchorage in the "Svendborg sund." In the late 19th Century there were shipbuilding yards at Troense, Svendborg, and Thoro Bund, a deep creek in the island of Thoro; and at each, vessels may be hove down, repaired, and provided with everything necessary. There is a patent slip also at Svendborg capable of receiving vessels of 300 tons. At Troense there is a pier 55 yards long, with 6| feet water at the pier-head.
Between Fyen and the opposite islands of Thoro, Taasing, and the flat extending from Skaaro and Fleskholm, is the channel known as Svendborg Sound, the western entrance to which, on the Fyen side, is safe and clean, but on the southern side the shallows extend a long way out. The stream in Svendborg Sound is strong and irregular; in fine weather, it turns every six hours and its usual rate is from one to 2 knots; but, during unsettled stormy weather, its rate increases to 3 or 4 knots, and it loses its tidal character, for though the water may rise or fall pretty regularly, yet the stream preserves the direction caused by the wind. In settled weather, with a rising tide, the stream runs to the westward, and, with a falling tide, to the eastward ; the normal rise of tide does not exceed 2 feet.
The eastern channel into Svendborg Sound, through Thoro Sound, is available as far as Svenborg for vessels up to 17 feet draught, but is so winding, narrow, and intricate, as to be all pilotage water, though well marked by stake beacons; those on the starboard hand, entering from this side, carrying brooms, and on the port hand straw wisps. The channel in many parts is so narrow that even handy vessels require a fresh breeze to work in against a contrary current, which is sometimes of considerable strength, for regular streams exist only during settled weather. The water rises when the stream runs in from the eastward, and falls when it sets out; and the general water level varies much in different parts of the Sound. Though the depth is everywhere convenient for anchoring, vessels should endeavour to reach some part out of the stream, such as Eeg Havn, at the eastern side of Taasing, where there is excellent holding ground in the road, in 2 or 2£ fathoms; or at the town of Svendborg.
At the northern corner of the Sound stands the town of Svendborg, its harbour sheltered from the ice by the little islet of Frederiksoen abreast of it. The harbour is constantly undergoing improvement and admits vessels drawing 10 feet alongside the quays. The town had a population of 9,000 by the end of the 19th Century, was on the railway line, had a shipbuilding yard, steam factory, and patent slip suitable for vessels of 300 tons, and was in regular communication by mail steamer with Copenhagen and all the principal seaports of the neighborhood. Fire and candles were not allowed on board vessels in this harbor.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|