FSC Fabryka Samochodˇw Ciezarowych
In interwar Poland, motorization continued to develop. Due to the protection and development of the domestic industry, and at the same time taking into account the higher level of foreign structures, in the second half of the 1930s it was allowed to start assembly and license production of cars. One of the major industrial companies, Lilpop, Rau and Loewenstein, made an agreement with General Motors and began producing Chevrolet vehicles in 1937. As part of the production development, in 1938, the construction of an industrial plant in the suburbs of Lublin, on the Tatars began. There was a assembly hall and a boiler room. The decision on the location was dictated, inter alia, by the fact that Lublin was to be one of the cities of the Central Industrial District, and in addition, car bodies at Plage and Laskiewicz were already produced in the city.
In 1938, the foundations for the first production hall were laid at Melgiewska Street. This is where the Chevrolet parts were to be produced. The outbreak of World War II destroyed these plans. After the war, in 1948, it was decided to use the land near Melgiewska. That's how the FSC was created. The hall was adapted just after the war to the vodka bottling plant. In the plans for the economic development and post-war reconstruction of Poland, developed by Soviet specialists (officially - as part of the decisions of the Unification Congress of the party PPR and PPS in 1948), the assembly of GAZ 51 trucks at the level of 12,000 units per year was planned in Poland. On November 7, 1951, the first specimen of GAZ 51 Lublin came off the assembly line. The FSC started in full swing.
The basic product of the factory were delivery trucks Zuk ["beetle"] and lublin, produced in several dozen specialist versions. The factory was a cooperative base for the domestic automotive industry producing tens of thousands of forgings in more than 400 assortments, including crankshafts for engines, half drive axles, crossovers, casting tons, springs, wheels, front suspensions, rear axles and thousands of tons of screw products and fasteners. Without these products, no car, truck or bus could be created in Poland.
The first batch of "beetles" left the halls in 1958. The car owes its name to the prototype, which was painted in stripes and resembled a beetle. In the best times, FSC produced 30,000 beetles annually. The king of Polish roads died on February 13, 1998. For 39 years, 587.5 thousand were produced in Lublin. beetles.
In the 1960s, for the needs of the army, FSC also produced a SKOT transporter - it was an armored fighting vehicle for transporting 12 soldiers. Thanks to the built-in propellers and rear rudders, the transporter was adapted to overcome water obstacles. The drive unit was a diesel engine enabling speed development up to 100 km per hour. This product was surrounded by strict secrecy in factory documents as S-260.
In 1963-1971, 4,500 such vehicles were manufactured, half of which went to Poland and half to Czechoslovakia. SKOC used structural elements from Tatry T138 (produced in the years 1959-1971). The armored vehicle was made on subassemblies from the Tatra plant, steelworks in Czestochowa, Ostrowiec Swietokrzyski and Stalowa Wola.
For years, it was the largest employer in the city and one of the largest in the region. While at the beginning FSC employed several thousand people, in 1973 there were already 13,000. And the plans were even bigger. The employment was to be 20,000 people. The factory was the driving wheel of Lublin.
The Lublin Automobile Factory in its 50-year history was considered the best in the machine industry: 12 times it was awarded the Banner of the Polish Minister of Machine Industry, 5 times the Banner of the Prime Minister, and also the highest for the Order of the First Class Banner of Work.
Changes brought about the 1990s. At that time the factory had to face the free market and started to look for new business partners. One of them was Peugeot, which in 1993 began the assembly of the "405" model there. But it was a short cooperation.
In June 1995 the Daewoo Motor Polska concern became the strategic partner of FSC. Fabryka Samochodˇw Ciezarowych was removed from the Lublin economic panorama. Daewoo Motor Poland was there for good. The beginnings were promising. Koreans invested 100 million zlotys, continued production of beetles, began to produce lublins, i.e. new suppliers and assemble passenger cars. Trouble began a few years later. The automotive market caught up, sales of cars decreased. Finally, in October 2001, the court declared the bankruptcy of a South Korean company. The announcement of the bankruptcy of the DMP caused shock and disbelief.
In December 2011, Pol-Mot Warfama, now Ursus, moved into the area at Melgiewska. It took its name from the legendary tractor that is produced today in Lublin. It's easy to find in the complex. It is distinguished by a white hall near the entrance gate and a large red logo. In 2012, the company sold about a thousand tractors. In February 2013, Ursus tractors and Honker Cargo vans were produced in Lublin.
At present, plants belonging once to the FSC plant are separate enterprises, and other halls have changed their purpose. Interestingly, most of the components manufacturing plants are still working and prospering. Although the automotive industry remained the dominant industry, the production profile was diversified and the maximum number of jobs was maintained. According to the data of the City of Lublin, there are currently approx. 4,500 employees in the area of the former Daewoo Motor Polska.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|