Cobra Wheeled Armored Vehicle
Cobra has been developed by Otokar's research and development team to provide the best solution for the need of the armed forced for wheeled armored vehicles. Cobra attracts interest with its superior maneuvering capability and its high level of ballistic protection as well as its feature of adjustability of the same platform for diverse functions. It provides great facilities in maintenance and service as it is designed on the same framework and infrastructure and it can be manufactured in many models and types. The fact that the infrastructure remains the same even in diverse Cobras manufactured for different realms, which, in turn, saves from maintenance and repair works and spare parts, makes Cobra an armored vehicle preferred by many armies. Rubber tire-wheeled 4 x 4 Cobra Armored Vehicle capable of carrying 1+8 personnel is manufactured with the following types. Moreover, it has an amphibious version as well.
The Cobra's power/weight ratio is higher than 30 HP/ton. The powerful turbo diesel VB engine gives Cobra power to navigate the toughest terrain conditions. An electronically controlled automatic transmission, permanent four wheel drive and 2-speed lockable transfer box ensure high mobility whatever the terrain conditions are. An independent suspension and Central Tyre Inflation System make the Cobra the highest mobility armored vehicle in its class.
The optimized body angles of the monocoque hull structure provide Cobra built-in survivability. This, together with a low silhouette and high mobility in all types of terrain, result in excellent level of survivability. Run-flat tyres, provided as standard feature, allow the vehicle to continue its mission, even with deflated tyres. The compactly designed Cobra is transportable by aircraft, helicopter, truck or railway, suitable for rapid deployment forces.
- Cobra Open Turret Personnel Carrier - Suspension structure, rapid ingress and egress capability provided by the wide doors of Cobra vehicle ensure safe transfer and easy interference of the personnel. Vehicle's monocoque body and its wide wall angles are designed to provide higher ballistic and mine protection and due to its low profile, it is not an easy target to detect.
- Cobra Closed Turret Personnel Carrier - Otokar designed closed turret, enhances Cobra's effectiveness in day and night conditions during missions such as border control, road and strategic area protection and fire support to the teams in combat area.
- Cobra 40 mm AGL ve 12.7 mm MG Vehicle - The 360° rotating turret with twin guns has an ergonomic design and a low profile appropriate for various roles and missions. The turret provides possibility of surveillance and rapid firing against both ground and air targets from inside of the vehicle under protection.
- Cobra Ambulance - It provides safe transport of patients and medical crew to risky areas. All necessary medical equipment for first aid is placed on the vehicle.
- Cobra Reconnaissance / Surveillance Vehicle - This vehicle is developed for target acquisition and information feedback to higher command units under severe battlefield conditions. With its computer-controlled mission equipment, the vehicle can sustain undegraded operation under day/night and all weather conditions. The electro-optic sensor system and ground surveillance radar can either function independently or in complementary modes. target information is transmitted via frequency hopping and targets are displayed through RF microwave link.
- Cobra Command / Control vehicle acts as a part of the command and control chain or as a command post and provides operational and regional intelligence in peacetime or engagement operations. The data collected via the vehicle's communicational subsystems are processed in a computer-aided environment.
- Cobra EOD Vehicle - The vehicle is developed to act against explosive attacks in airports. A hydraulically controlled blade, manufactured of the same armor materials as the hull and located at the front of the vehicle, can be controlled from the driver's position.
- Cobra Amphibious Vehicle - Double hydraulic thrusters with joystick control and position controller radiator aperture enables amphibious operation eliminating need for pre-work.
- Cobra Giat 20 mm Cannon - Cobra fitted with GIAT's 20 mm 20M621 cannon is designed to meet ground to ground and ground to air missions including patrol, protection of sensitive areas and participation in defense roles.
- Cobra Remote Controlled Weapon Station - Cobra APC fitted with remotely controlled weapon station has a flexibility to accept 7,62 GPMG or 12,7mm HMG or 40mm AGL to its weapon station which is coupled with FLIR and day camera. Totally controlled by the gunner within inside of the protected compartment, the vehicle has a crew of 3 and accommodates additional 6 man personnel at the rear. The vehicle forms an efficient platform for patrol under day and night conditions.
- COBRA Armoured Reconnaissance Vehicle - Besides its superior mobility, and protection against ballistic and mine threats, COBRA Armoured Reconnaissance Vehicle presents solutions towards the needs of users with high capacity reconnaissance equipments. With its electro-optic reconnaissance systems, the vehicle can detect, recognize and identify remote targets under day/night and all weather conditions. Besides, images of the detected target can be transmitted as picture and video together with the location and identification info via the integrated software, hardware and digital communication systems infrastructure with other vehicles within the operation and the command center.
Otokar is the leading supplier of 4x4 tactical and armored vehicles for the Turkish Armed Forces (TAF). Otokar has supplied the Otokar APC, Akrep and worldwide known Cobra 4x4 to the TAF and Security General Directorate since the late 1980s. In June 2011 Otokar secured a TL69.2 Million contract for the delivery of an undisclosed number of Cobra vehicles along with associated spares and support equipment. Deliveries were expected to be completed in the first half of 2012.
An armored tactical wheeled vehicle, the COBRA draws attention with its superior terrain performance and superior survivability. Coming into prominence among its competitors against explosives and mines with its armoured monocoque hull structure, the COBRA has the feature of being a unique armoured wheeled tactical vehicle with many specifications like run-flat tires, permanent four wheel drive, independent suspension. It allows full control to the personnel with its wide angle of visibility while it can serve in narrow and local areas with its compact and low silhouette. With its features of high maneuverability, superior engine performance, doors that allow fast and easy access, both day and night mobility, and with convenience for air transport, the COBRA has the features that can meet the customer requirements.
COBRA successfully meets the requirements of modern armies around the world. The common platform concept helps to simplify the training of drivers and maintenance personnel and optimizes logistic support and planning. Cobra's multi-mission capability is reflected in a range of variants including weapon carrier, reconnaissance vehicle, personnel carrier, ambulance, NBC Reconnaissance, and many more. COBRA provides superior mobility, a high level of protection, adaptability to various missions and a low logistic footprint.
The powerful turbo diesel V8 engine and high power/weight ratio give COBRA, power to navigate in the toughest terrain conditions. The independent suspension, the Central Tyre Inflation Systems along with the permanent 4x4 drive, automatic transmission and front/rear 2 speed lockable transfer box ensure the highest level of mobility. The optimised body angles of the monocoque hull structure grants COBRA a reliable constitution for the superior protection resulting an excellent level of built in survivability. Prioritizing the concepts of safety and comfort of the crew, COBRA transports up to 9 personnel from one mission to another. Thanks to the optimised angles of the armoured body in monocoque structure, COBRA differentiates itself with remarkable protection against explosives and mines.
With superior levels of protection, increased internal volume and outstanding mobility, Cobra II is designed and produced by Otokar, the land defence systems house of Turkey. Otokar has received a new order of armoured vehicles amounting to €106.1 million, and increasing the number of Cobra II in Turkey’s inventory. The order includes COBRA II 4x4 tactical wheeled armoured vehicles and a variety of systems as well as maintenance and support systems. Vehicle deliveries are expected to start toward the end of the year and be completed in the first quarter of 2017.
Speaking about the order, Otokar General Manager Serdar Gorguc said, “Last year we were awarded the first two orders for Cobra II that we designed at Otokar with our own intellectual property rights and specifically against increasing threats. Armed with our engineering capabilities and R&D strength, we will keep on providing state-of-the-art solutions for our users.”
Designed and manufactured by Otokar against upcoming threats and to meet users’ demands, COBRA II vehicles offer superior protection and outstanding mobility with increased internal volume. COBRA II is another tactical wheeled armoured vehicle with Otokar-owned intellectual property rights, and has the same mobility features as the COBRA version, providing improved protection against ballistic, mine and IED threats. COBRA II has successfully passed the tests conducted in the terrain and climatic conditions of the region. COBRA IIhas a modular structure for different missions, and is also available in an amphibious version developed specifically for export markets. During recent tests in a Gulf country for hot climate conditions and amphibious properties, Cobra II logged thousands of miles and successfully passed open water wading tests.
In June 2016 Otokar secured a contract valued at €106.1 Million for the delivery of 220 COBRA-II WAVs to the SGD. Some of the vehicles are armed with Aselsan SARP RCWS. The SSB also procured further 100 COBRA-IIs for the GGC. Under the project the SSB ordered a further 17 COBRA-II vehicles in December 2018 to meet the SGD’s additional vehicles requirement. Otokar completed delivery of the first batch of COBRA-II WAVs in Special Mission configuration (able to carry a remotely operated Explosive Ordnance Disposal [EOD] Robot inside the fuselage) to the SGD in December, the second batch in May 2019 and the last batch in June 2019.
The COBRA-II Tactical Wheeled Armored Vehicle provides an outmatched performance in a wide range of challenging terrains and climatic conditions. In addition to superior technical and tactical features, COBRA-II also offers high degree of protection and forms a base for a modular platform. Unveiled for the first time in May 2013 COBRA-II has an overall length of 5.6m, width of 2.5m and height of 2.2m. The wheelbase and ground clearance of the vehicle are 3.57m and 400mm respectively, while the gross vehicle weight is 12,000kg. The COBRA-II can negotiate a 48° approach and a 60° departure angle leading onto 60% inclines and 30% side-slopes. It is able to cross 90cm wide trenches and climb over 40cm obstacles. The COBRA-II can be fitted with either 6,7 liter, 6 cylinders 281hp water-cooled turbo diesel engine or 6,7 liter, 6 cylinders 360hp water-cooled turbo diesel engine (Turkish users’ preference) with F-34 and F-54 fuel compatibility. The COBRA-II has a top speed of 110km/h and a cruising range of 700km. Besides outstanding mobility capability and up to nine crew (including driver and commander) carrying capacity, the vehicle provides protection, firepower and mission equipment for users on different types of missions.
According to an Otokar official, the local content rate in COBRA-II’s baseline version is currently at the 57% level but depending on using an indigenous turret system this percentage can be increased to 64%. Otokar utilizes ARMOX 500T armor plates (up to 7 different types of steel sheets with different chemical and physical features since they are used in different parts of vehicle fuselage) and a ceramic based automated Fully Penetrated Cooled Welding Technique (already used in ALTAY MBT Prototype Development Phase) in the manufacture of the COBRA-II fuselage. According to Otokar no other local military vehicle manufacturer utilizes this welding technique and thanks to using this new generation welding technique COBRA-II’s ballistic and mine/IED protection level is superior than its competitors.
However, as this welding technique takes 2,5 times longer than other standard welding techniques, which means the vehicle has to stay on the production line longer, COBRA-II has a higher production cost compared to its counterparts on the market. Otokar, as subcontractor of Aselsan, also delivered an undisclosed number of (we estimate over 20 vehicles) COBRA-II Tactical Wheeled Armored Vehicles to the TLFC under a contract valued at US$ 40,320,000 Million for the SERHAT Counter Mortar Radars (CMR) Project signed between Aselsan and the Ministry of National Defence (MoND) on June 28, 2018. According to Aselsan, within the scope of the Project acceptance tests of the third party SERHAT CMRs on the COBRA-II Tactical WAVs were carried out during May 27-31, 2019 successfully and the radars were handed over to the TLFC.
Turkey deployed its domestically produced, next-generation Cobra 2 armored vehicles to ensure security on the Turkish-Syrian border, Turkish Hürriyet newspaper reported 05 March 2017. The vehicles had recently entered into the Turkish Armed Forces and were said to have several advanced technical features. The vehicles are equipped with radar, a target detection system and a thermal camera which significantly improve their monitoring capabilities and help them to keep track of the slightest activity in the border area.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|