Hispano Aviácion HA 200 Saeta
The two-seater jet trainer HA 200, which took the place of the HA 100 series, took off for the first time on August 12, 1955. The HA 200 was the fourth jet airplane project by Willy Messerschmitt and Spain's first jet. The aircraft was designed as a beginner and advanced trainer that was also adapted for weaponry training and reconnaissance missions.
Willy Messerschmitt made various proposals to the Spanish government concerning the consultative contract with the national Spanish aircraft constructor Hispano Aviacion S.A. (Hasa) and the construction of its own aviation industry. The first development was the HA 100 Triana beginner and advanced trainers which never went into series production. Messerschmitt insisted that the parts of the HA 200 Triana should be time and cost efficient. The HA 200 clearly differed from the propeller aircraft because the radial engines were positioned on the smooth frontal portion of the fuselage. On the rear end, two air entrance openings were situated that were originally for other jet engines of the model Turboméca "Marboré II". The engines accommodated the pilot in the bow. The pressurized cabin was developed for training activities.
The main competition for the training and land battle aircraft was the Fouga Magister which already took its initial flight in July 1952 and was exported to countless countries. It was equipped with the "Marboré II" engine (7.84 kN). Messerschmitt attempted to overtake the development of the Magister, in order to open the Saeta to more purchasing possibilities in other countries. The Spanish government hoped that the development costs for the aircraft would eventually be divided with Germany.
However, the French government denied the export of the "Marboré II" engines. Licensed construction of the Fouga Magister in Germany by Messerschmitt AG impeded the development of a jet trainer and Spain had to deal with this matter alone. Willy Messerschmitt also attempted to purchase a travel aircraft. Unfortunately, no contracts were finalized.
The first prototype of the HA 200 took off on August 12, 1957; the second on January 11, 1957, it was sent to the aerosalon in Paris/Le Bourget. The Spanish Aviation Ministry ordered ten pre-series aircrafts, their flight tests began in 1961 and lasted until 1965. In 1959, an order for over thirty series aircrafts of the version HA 200 A followed.
The construction license went to Egypt. Five of the machines from the pre-series were purchased by the Egyptian Air Force. The version HA 200 B was changed and equipped with a 20 mmm-cannon. In 1960, they were delivered and renamed "Al Kahira". From 1960 until 1965, Egypt manufactured 90 aircrafts under license. HA 200B from the pre-series model that was exported to Egypt possessed a cannon under the fuselage and Hasa later managed to construct the HA 57, a one-seater land battle aircraft.
In 1963, Spain ordered another 55 Saetas, Version HA 200D, which Hasa supplied until 1967. They contained a Turboméca "Marboré VI" engine with 9.4 kN. 40 trainers were transformed to the version HA 200E Super Saeta. The HA 220 was a one-seater fighter bomber, 25 HA 200 and was introduced and utilized between 1971 and 1977. By 198-, the C.101 "Aviojet" replaced the HA 200 and HA 220.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|