3rd Division - Tercera División
The third division of the army has its jurisdiction in the West of the country, with command in the city of Popayán. It covers an area of 86.470 square kilometers, including the departments of Quindío, Valle, Valle del Cauca and Nariño, covering a total of 202 municipalities within their jurisdiction. Comprises the three brigades, with command post in the city of Cali eighth Brigade, headquartered in the city of Armenia twentieth ninth Brigade, with the city of Popayán and the twentieth Third Brigade command post, based in the city of Pasto, capital of the Department of Nariño.
After July 2005 the army had seven divisions assigned to territorial regions. At that time Cali was home to the 3d Division, based in Quindío, Risaralda, Caldas, Valle del Cauca, Cauca, Nariño, and southern Chocó. It was composed of the 3d Brigade, based in Cali, the 8th Brigade in Armenia, and the 29th Brigade located close to Popayán. Also in this jurisdiction are the 6th and 14th mobile brigades, six counterguerrilla battalions, the 9th Afeur unit, and the Plan Meteoro 4th Company.
As of early 2005 the army had seven divisions assigned to territorial regions. At that time the Third Division had jurisdiction in the Departments of Quindío, Risaralda, Caldas, Valle, Cauca, Nariño, the Sur de Choco and Putumayo. Its component brigades were the IIIrd (Tercera), VIIIth (Octava) and XXIVth (Vigésimacuarta), with brigade headquarters in the departments of Cali, Armenia and Mocoa, respectively.
January 06, 1984, in special ceremony effect in the plaza of arms of the battalion of infantry no. 8 "PINCHINCHA" and with the assistance of Mr General GUILLERMO JARAMILLO BERRIO, Commander of the army, was activated the third division based in the city of Santiago de Cali, according to resolution No. 5712 of December 19, 1983 based on provisions no. 00031 07 December 1993, issued the General command and no. 00025 of November 21, 1983 from the command of the army. As the first Commander of the third Division became the Lord Mayor General FRANCISCO HERNANDO DIAZ SANMIGUEL, according to Decree 3243 of November 28, 1983; and today is Mr Brigadier General HERNANDO PEREZ MOLINA.
- the Quíndio and Risaralda departments.
- The urban area of the municipality of la Dorada, belonging to the air force.
- The municipalities of Samana, La Victoria, Marquetalia and rural area of la Dorada, which belong to the fifth Division.
- the Department of Valle, with the exception of: The urban area of the municipality of Buenaventura with the corregimientos of mouths of San Juan, El Pital, police inspections, Bazán, La Concepción, Málaga, port Naya, welded tip and Verenal belonging to the national army.
- in the Department of Cauca, with the exception of: (1) The Micay municipality of López, the corregimiento of el Coco, the police inspections of el Trapiche, Naya River, Santa Ana and the Cauca Caseriío, belong to the National Navy. (2)The urban area of the municipality of Timbipí with the with the corregimientos of cheté, mouth of Patía inspection of police of shrimp and Hamlet Cueval belonging to the national army. (3) The urban area of the municipality of Guapi with the Isla Gorgona Polícia inspections, lemons and San Antonio belonging to the national army. (4) The Republic of Inzá and Belarcázar belonging to the Fourth Division.
- the Department of Nariño, with the exception of: (1) The urban area of El Charco and Iscuandé (Santa Barbara) municipalities with the hamlet of Bay Mulatas, belonging to the national army. (2) The urban area of the municipality of Mosquera and the hamlet of Santinga, belonging to the national army. (3) The urban area of the municipality of Tumaco with the corregimiento of Cape mangroves and Salahonda and San Juan Police inspectorates belonging to the national army.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|