Bangladesh Army Services Histories
Army Service Corps had only a few Bengalee officers and troops at the time of the Liberation War. Their participation even with such small strength in the freedom struggle is remarkable. The Army Service Corps came into being on 11 March 1972. Initially it started off with a small number of officers, junior commissioned officers and other ranks. However, selfless service of all ranks enabled the corps to achieve a very high standard of performance and recognition from all corners within a very short span of time. The corps has been organised and expanded to meet the growing demands of the army.
A good number of Bengalee officers and troops of the Pakistan Army medical Corps actively participated in the Liberation War. Some 14 officers and 114 troops embraced martyrdom and enriched the History of Medical Corps with glory. The Directorate of Medical Services came into existence during the Liberation War at Mujibnagar. In 1973, the newly organised corps started expanding with 224 officers and 1484 other ranks. Slowly and gradually, a good number of small and big medical institutions including field medical units were raised. After it was reorganised in 1973, the Armed forces Institutes of Pathology and Transfusion started its work with full dedication. For its unique and exceptional performance in medical science, the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology and Transfusion was awarded the prestigious civil award Shadhinata Padak (Independence Medal) in 1987.
Despite limited scope, members of the Ordnance Corps went beyond the call of duty to augment the strength of frontline forces and fought heroically side by side with other corps members. Some 36 soldiers embraced martyrdom in the Liberation struggle. The ordinance Corps was made responsible for collecting all sporadic equipment and vehicles from different parts of the country to make the best use of their services. The Ordnance Depots started functioning at Chittagong, Comilla, Syllnet, Rangpur, Saidpur and Jessore from March 1972. Later on, the corps was reorganised and subsequently expanded to suit the need of the time.
During the War of Independence, 1400 members of the erstwhile Pakistan Corps of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering were stationed in Bangladesh. These men fought gallantly side by side with members of other fighting arms in the war. Within the limited constraints of equipment and technical backup, these men made best use of their skill and technical knowledge in keeping all armament and weapon battle worthy. After liberation, 4 infantry workshops were raised in April 1972. The corps was further reorganised and expanded subsequently.
The history of EME is as old as the history of warfare itself but the word EME came into being lately in the modern age. The concept of EME support begins from British Army. In 1664 the appointment of Master of Ordnance was created which in turn was named Master General of Ordnance in the year 1683 for the supply of weapons and equipment. Personnel engaged in this organization were all non-combatants and there was no organization for repair and maintenance of the military equipment being utilized in the battlefield. During the World War I (1914-1918) a type of mobile workshop was set up and the concept of recovery came into being. But soon it was found inadequate, and in 1918, the Royal Army Ordnance Corps (RAOC) was established with repair and maintenance of the equipment as one of its roles. But the problem of repair and maintenance still remained. Further reorganization of Royal Army Ordnance Corps during World War II resulted in the creation of the Corps of the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers. The personnel of this corps were not only expert engineers and technicians, but were also efficient combatants. Later on in 1943, the Corps of Indian EME (IEME) was established. Again with the partition of India in 1947, Corps of Pakistan EME (PEME) came into being. But in 1956 the word 'Pakistan' was deleted and it was simply termed as EME. After the independence of Bangladesh, the corps continues to be called EME.
Prior to liberation war, 8 Military Police Unit under 16 Infantry Division was located at Dhaka Cantonment with its detachment to various Infantry Brigades. During the liberation war, all Bengali soldiers of 8 Military Police Unit took active part in the war and fought gallantly. This corps has 17 brave souls who sacrificed their lives in the war of independence. In 1972, after the independence Sergeant Ali Akbar collected personnel from transit camp and contributed to reorganize 8 Military Police Unit on ad-hoc basis. Its location was at that time in a place where present Armed Forces Division is located. In the same year, 8 Military Police Unit was completely raised under Captain Hakim and renamed as 1 Military Police Unit. Captain Hakim was the first Officer Commanding of 1 Military Police Unit. The first batch of recruits composed of 64 personnel were imparted provost training under the arrangement of 1 Military Police Unit with effect from on 04 January 1973 to 13 June 1973. After repatriation from Pakistan in 1973, five more Military Police Units were raised on 11 January 1974. The ex-Military Police persons from various places of Bangladesh were collected together at the Dhaka Transit Camp from where a Military Police unit was raised. Later on, the Corps of Military Police was organised and expanded. At present there are total 9 units under this corps including Army Military Police Unit. The Corps presently has a school of its own to train both men and officers in this specialised profession.
During the War of Liberation, members of the Education Corps fought valiantly for the country and a number of them embraced martyrdom. Army Education was raised, like other arms and services of Bangladesh Army, after the country got its independence in 1971. Initially the corps started its functions with six officers from 12 March 1973. At the end of the year, a few officers and JCOs joined the corps. After the War, the Education Directorate was organised at the Army Headquarters. For smooth functioning of the corps an independent directorate was established in 1976. Till today the expansion of Bangladesh Army the workload and the routined responsibility of the Education Corps have increased manifold. The aim of Army Education Corps is to provide education in the army to contribute to the battle efficiency of the soldiers and officers of Bangladesh Army. Bangladesh Army Education Corps is entrusted with the responsibility of officers' academic training, troops' education training and formulation of troops' information and motivation programs at various levels.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|