Find a Security Clearance Job!

Military


Support Services Brigade Group

Presently [2016] the units under the Support Services Brigade Group are GHQ(Camp), 49 Engr Regt, HQ GMP, Def Sig Regt, Forces Pay Regiment(FPR), Def MT Bn, BOD, BAD, BSD, B/Wksp, AFFS, AFPP, AFCB, GAFI, 5 FMU,1 FMU, 5 GEC, AFSTS and HQ Sp Svcs Bde Gp (Camp). The emblem of the Formation is an elephant which symbolizes strength, power, longevity, stamina, mental faculties, cooperative spirit, and loyalty.

In 1957 when Ghana gained independence, the Ghana Army was composed of an Inf Bde consisting of three Inf Bns, a Recce Sqn and other ancillary units such as Ghana Engrs Sqn, Ghana Sig Sqn, Ghana Army Supply and Transport service, Ghana Army Educational Service, Ghana Army Ordinance Service, Ghana Army Medical Service, Ghana Army Electrical and Mechanical Engrs and the Ghana Army Pay Service. Over the years these ancillary units were expanded and more reorganization were done in order to provide the newly independent country of Ghana with a suitable Army commensuration with national objectives which might not have been attainable by reliance on bequeathed colonial military structures. The expansion was completed in 1962 with the establishment of the Ghana Army by an Act of Parliament and restructuring of the Ghana Army into two Inf Gps, the ancillary units, and the Military Academy and Training Schools.

In January 1969, the Common Services Establishment Committee was set up to establish a logistics brigade for Ghana Army using the ancillary units. In October 1969, the ancillary services and units were grouped under the newly formed Support Services Brigade Group more for administrative efficiency and convenience than for operational purposes. The Headquarters of the new Brigade was made up of mostly troops from Army Engineers who were deployed in assisting the civil authority by building bailey bridges, air trips and houses as well as evacuation and resettlement of people affected by floods during the construction of the Akosombo Dam. The Headquarters was located at the present location of General Headquarters Camp and its first commander was Col Sanni-Thomas who handed over to Col Coker Appiah in a months time.

The Support Service Brigade Group was under implemented in May 1985 but was reactivated in June 1987 under Army Headquarters and the Headquarters relocated to Medo Lines, Burma Camp. The units grouped under the Headquarters Support Services Brigade Group included,49 Engineer Regiment, 1 Mechanical Transport Battalion, Base Supply Depot (BSD), Base Ordnance Depot (BOD), Base Ammunition Depot (BAD), Armed Forces Printing Press(AFPP), Armed Forces Fire Service (AFFS), Base Workshop (B/Wksp), 5 Forces Movement Unit (5 FMU), Forces Records Office(FRO), Headquarters Ghana Military Police (GMP), 37 Military Hospital, Forces Pay Office (FPO), Armed Forces Central Band (AFCB), 5 Garrison Education Centre (5 GEC) and Headquarters Support Services Brigade (Camp).

Later in 1996, the Sp Svcs Bde was reorganized and removed from under command of Army Headquarters and placed under the General Headquarters (GHQ).The General Headquarters (Camp) and all Directorates under the General Headquarters were placed under the Formation. The units under the Formation were GHQ(Camp), 49 Engineer Regiment , HQ GMP, Def Sig Regt, FRO, FPO, 37 Mil Hosp, Def MT Bn, BOD, BAD, BSD, B/Wksp, AFFS, AFPP, DPC, AFCB, Ghana Armed Forces Institution(GAFI), 5 Forces Mov Unit (5 FMU), 1 Forces Movement Unit (1 FMU), Base Engr Tech Svcs (BETS), 5 GEC, Armed Forces Museum, Army Sig Trg Sch (ASTS), Armed Forces Secondary Technical School(AFSTS) and HQ Sp Svcs Bde Gp (Camp).

48 Engineer Regiment

The History of the Field Engineer Regiment now 48 Engineer Regiment dates back from the beginning of World War II, when the 2nd and 3rd Field Companies Gold Coast (GC), were formed in May 1939 at Akwatia with men recruited from the nearby DIAMOND MINES and Tradesmen from Public Works Department (PWD). Major JS Thain and Major C Alderson, both of Royal Engineers then serving with Gold Coast (GC) PWD, were the first commanders.

Prior to embarkation to East Africa some training was undertaken locally with a few hand tools. There were no military bridging equipment; only small quantities of training mines and demolition stores were available. Its main training policy was based on improvisation, which stood it in good stead at that time and even up to now.

66 Artillery Regiment

The present 66 Artillery Regiment came into existence on 16 April 1966. It was referred to as the Medium Mortar Regiment until 3 June 2003, when the unit took delivery of new artillery pieces and was redesignated the 66 Artillery Regiment. The object of the formation of the then Medium Mortar Regiment on 16 April 1966 was to increase the fire power potential of the Ghana Army, as hitherto, its only existing fire support had come from the 81mm Mortars.

This situation was created after the disbandment of the Royal West Africa Frontier Force (RWAFF) of British West Africa in 1956, which saw the departure of the Artillery Battery. This Battery had been an integral part of the Gold Coast Regiment since its inception.

Armoured Reconnaissance Regiment

The history of the Armored Reconnaissance Regt of today is as that of the Ghana Army of today. It took its root from the Royal West Africa Frontier Force (RWAFF) establishment when the Gold Coast Recce Regt was formed from cadres of RWAFF as divisional troops for operations in Burma during the 2nd World War in August 1941.

Like many infant units, all Recce Sqns which were formed during world War II were subsequently disbanded in 1946 along with the bulk of the Fd Bty (2nd Fd of Bty RWAFF ) at the end Word War II, this remnant Regt was designated the indep Recce Battery on 4 July 1958 under the command of Maj Stevenson, RA. It was redesignated the Ghana Recce Sqn on 1 May 1959 with a strength of six Officers and 252 Men and moved from the Old to the New Golden Barracks in June 1959. The first Ghanaian OC was Capt DK Addo who took over from Capt JR Davidson on 13 Jun 1960. His command was however, short-lived when he had to hand over to Maj GR Dixon, RTR, on 25 Jun 1960.

Medium Mortar Regiment

Mortar Regiment currently location in Volta Barracks was formed in Accra on 16 April1966. The unit's formation arose from the Army's need for increased firepower following the introduction of the 81mm Mortar in the Army in 1960.

The regiment is predated by the RACCLI in 1821, the Gold Coast Corps (GCC) in 1852, Rait's Artillery in 1873 and unspecified element during the Yaa Asantewaa War in 1900. With the expansion of GCR (two battalions) into Gold Coast (2 WA) Brigade under Brig Gen Rose on 1 November 1918 for service in Palestine, Battery of 4 x 2.95 guns and 8 Stokes Mortar was also established. The battery was demobilized in 1918 with the loss of the Stokes Mortar. A Light battery was formed by 1938 with HQ and 2 detachments each with 2 x 3.7inch Howitzers under command of four British Officers and five BNCOS.

The 51 (GC) Light battery was deployed in the East African Campaign till 1941 when an additional coastal Defence Artillery and Anti-Aircraft (AA) Battery with one troop of light AA was formed. There was further expansion for Burma on the formation of 5 (WA) Brigade. 81 (WA) Div, and 2 (WA) Bde,82 (WA)Dir, which included one Light battery each to support the brigades ( probably 51 and 5 Batteries).





NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list