M61 FRAGMENTATION HAND GRENADE
(1) Body -- thin sheet metal. Fragments are produced by a serrated wire coil fitted to the inside of the grenade body.
(2) Filler -- 5.5 ounces of Composition B.
(3) Fuze -- M204A1 or M204A2.
(4) Weight -- 16 ounces.
(5) Safety clip -- yes.
(6) Capabilities -- can be thrown 40 meters by average soldier. The effective killing radius is 5 meters and the effective casualty-producing radius is 15 meters. ALTHOUGH THE KILLING RADIUS IS 5 METERS AND THE CASUALTY PRODUCING RADIUS OF THIS GRENADE IS 15 METERS, FRAGMENTS CAN DISPERSE AS FAR AWAY AS 230 METERS.
(7) Color/markings -- olive drab body with a single yellow band at the top. Nomenclature and or lot number markings are in yellow.
- GRENADES AND PYROTECHNIC SIGNALS Field Manual FM 23-30 DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY, 27 December 1988
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|