Martin M-130 Flying Boat
In 1934, Pan Am took delivery of the Martin 130, called the China Clipper. On 22 November 1935, the China Clipper took off from California for the first transpacific service. After stops In Hawaii, Wake Island, and Guam, the Clipper arrived at Manila in the Philippines. By 1937, this route was extended to Hong Kong and Pan Am made one round-trip flight across the Pacific every seven days.
Following the nation's entry into WW2, the Navy placed Pan Am under contract in 1942, and commandeered its aircraft. Pan Am seaplane operations from Treasure Island during the war included Martin M-130 China Clippers, Boeing 314s, and Navy supplied PB2Y-3R Coronados. The M-130s operated a shuttle service between Treasure Island & Honolulu. As ship traffic became heavier in the Bay, regular Pan Am flight operations were moved to Mills Field (San Francisco International Airport today) in 1944. Treasure Island remained in use by Pan Am for seaplane overhaul.
Wing span: 130 Feet
Length: 90 Feet 10.5 inches
Height: 24 feet 7 inches
Max T/O Gross: 52,252 pounds
Cruise Speed: 157 M.P.H.
Range: 3,200 miles
Powerplant: Four Pratt & Whitney R-1830,Twin Wasp 14 cylinder, radial air-cooled engines, each providing 830 h.p.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|