G-7 / J2F / OA-12 Duck
The OA-12 Duck is the U.S. Air Force version of the Navy J2F-6 amphibian. Derived from the XJF-1 that first flew in 1933, the J2F series aircraft were used primarily by the Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard, before and during World War II.
The Coast Guard obtained fourteen JF-2's for service with the first being acquired in October of 1934. Two of the Coast Guard's premiere pre-war pilots, Elmer Stone and Richard Burke, took advantage of the amphibian's excellent performance to establish two new records for speed. The JF-2's also played an instrumental role during the Coast Guard's testing of air operations on board its cutters. Two were carried experimentally on board the cutters Spencer and Taney during pre-war tests. Others were used successfully on board cutters stationed on the Greenland Patrol. The Northland's JF-2, piloted by LT John Pritchard and carrying Radioman Benjamin Bottoms, disappeared on a search and rescue mission over Greenland in November, 1942. After the war, a J2F-6 assigned to the Northwind, participated in Operation High Jump, the expedition to Antarctica in 1946 and 1947.
Those that survived the vagaries of service were transferred to the Navy, Air Force, and the War Assets Administration. Five others had been traded. V-151 was traded to the Marine Corps for a Lockheed R30-1. Four (V-135; V-141; V-144; & V-146) were traded to the Navy in exchange for four N3N-3's during the Coast Guard's pre-war increase in the number of pilot trainees entering the preliminary flight school at Charleston.
One famous Duck served with the U.S. Army Air Forces during the war. In early 1942 members of the 20th Pursuit Squadron in the Philippines salvaged a damaged Navy J2F, which had been abandoned. Flying this Duck across enemy lines to obtain critical supplies for the defenders of Bataan and Corregidor, the pilots also brought a little candy for the nurses, which earned the aircraft the nickname The Candy Clipper.
After the war, the U.S. Air Forces' Air Rescue Service needed special aircraft for overwater missions, and in 1948 the USAF acquired eight surplus Navy J2F-6s. Designated the OA-12, five of these aircraft went to Alaska for duty with the 10th Air Rescue Squadron, and the other three apparently went to an allied country under the Mutual Defense Assistance Program.
The Columbia Aircraft Corp. of Valley Stream, N.Y., built the Grumman-designed J2F-6 Duck on display. Delivered to the U.S. Coast Guard on June 9, 1945, it became surplus in 1946. Afterward it had a series of civilian owners and "starred" in several films, includi
ng "Murphy's War" of the early 1970s. This aircraft is painted to represent one of the rescue OA-12s the USAF acquired in 1948. Armament: None (provisions for underwing racks for bombs or depth charges) Engine: Wright R-1820-54 of 1,050 hp Crew: Two Maximum speed: 188 mph Range: Span: 39 ft. Weight: 7,200 lbs.
|Manufacturer||Grumman Aircraft Engineering Corporation|
|Other Designations, if any:||J2F-5; J2F-6|
|Aircraft Type||General utility amphibian|
|Height||12' 4" / 14 ft.|
|Fuel Capacity||150 gallons|
|Top Speed||176 mph|
|Cruising Speed||155 mph at 7,000 feet|
|Stall Speed||67 mph|
|Range||759 miles at 7,000 feet / 780 miles|
|Empty Weight||4,114 pounds|
|Gross Weight||5,800 pounds|
|Service Ceiling||18,500 feet|
|Engine(s)||R-1820-102 Wright Cyclone @ 775 hp; 9-foot, three-bladed Hamilton Standard propeller;|
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|