AND PLATOON BATTLE DRILLS
|BATTLE DRILL 7A: ENTER/CLEAR A TRENCH (SQUAD)|
TASK. Enter/Clear a Trench (Squad) (7-4-D111).
CONDITIONS. The squad is operating as part of a larger force. The squad is moving and receives fire from the enemy.
1. The squad secures a foothold in a trench.
2. The squad kills, captures, or forces the withdrawal of the enemy in its assigned section of the trench.
3. The squad maintains a sufficient force that can defeat the enemy's counterattack and continue operations.
1. The squad reacts to contact (Battle Drill No. 2).
2. The fire team in contact locates the enemy position through AN/PVS-7B and suppresses it with the help of AN/PVS-4.
The squad leader determines if he can maneuver by identifying the following
with his hand-held laser pointer:
The fire team in contact guides on the team leader's AN/PAQ-4 laser and tracers
through their AN/PVS-7B and places well-aimed fires against the enemy position
using their own AN/PAQ-4 or AN/PVS-4. The fire team accomplishes the following:
The squad leader directs the fire team in contact to support the other team's
entry into the trench. He uses his hand-held laser pointer to designate the
6. The squad leader illuminates the entry point of the trench line using his hand-held laser pointer (MTETT).
The squad leader and the assault fire team move to the last covered and concealed
position short of the entry point.
The first two soldiers of the assault team move to the edge of the trench,
parallel to the trench on their backs. On the squad leader's command, they
cook off grenades (two seconds maximum), then shout "Frag out," and throw the
grenades into the trench.
All soldiers entering the trench must have AN/PVS-7B, AN/.PAQ-4, and ir flashlights
attached to the underside of their weapons. When ir flashlights are not available,
use the ir source on the NODs.
9. The squad leader remains at the entry point. He calls forward the supporting team, once he has ensured that the remainder of the platoon continues to provide supporting fires.
10. The squad leader reports to the platoon leader that he has entered the trench and secured a foothold. The platoon follows success of the seizure of the foothold with the remainder of the platoon as part of Battle Drill No. 7, Enter and Clear a Trench (Platoon).
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|