AND PLATOON BATTLE DRILLS
|BATTLE DRILL 5A: KNOCK OUT A BUNKER|
TASK. Knock Out a Bunker (Squad) (7-4-D107).
CONDITIONS. Squad receives fire from an enemy bunker while moving at night as part of a larger force.
1. The squad destroys the designated bunker by killing, capturing, or forcing the withdrawal of enemy personnel in the bunker.
2. The squad maintains sufficient fighting force to defeat the enemy's counterattack and continue operations.
3. No fratricide.
1. The squad reacts to contact (Battle Drill No. 2).
2. The fire team leader in contact identifies the bunker through his AN/PVS-7B and places well-aimed fire on the bunker using his AN/PAQ-4 and tracers. If required, the team leader employs ir illumination flare to the rear of the bunker to silhouette it (MTETT).
3. Squad members suppress the bunker with well-aimed fires using their AN/PVS-7B and AN/PVS-4.
The squad leader SEEs the bunker and the surrounding terrain through his AN/PVS-7B
to determine how he can best maneuver the trailing fire team. He uses his hand-held
laser pointer to show the squad the following:
5. The fire team leader in contact SEEs the squad leaders direction with his AN/PVS-7B.
The fire team in contact provides the following:
The squad leader controls the fires of the team in contact with his hand-held
laser pointer. He shows his team leaders and squad the following:
8. The squad leader requests indirect fires to destroy or isolate the enemy position.
9. The squad leader uses his AN/PVS-7B to lead the assaulting team along a covered and concealed route to the flank of the bunker.
Upon reaching the last covered and concealed position:
11. The squad leader inspects the bunker with an ir flashlight (or ir source on NODs) to ensure it is cleared. He places a chemlight (mounted on a stake or stick) into the top of the bunker to mark it "cleared" for friendly forces. He reports, reorganizes, and continues the mission.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|