Mediterranean Security into the Coming Millennium
Edited by Dr. Stephen J. Blank.
The papers included in this volume represent just such an effort to lay a firmer foundation for this continuing dialogue and to bring together different points of view. In October 1998, the Strategic Studies Institute, assisted by Pepperdine University, assembled a distinguished group of analysts from the United States, Europe, and the Middle East, in Florence, Italy. At a conference titled "Mediterranean Security into the Coming Millennium," the task of the participants was to address current regional security issues in the Balkans, Middle East, and the Aegean, as well as the perceptions of the individual states, the relevant security organizations, NATO and the European Union, and the players and major external actors like the United States and Russia. These papers cover the many areas discussed at the conference and should advance the debate on Mediterranean security both in the United States and abroad.
Stephen J. Blank
2. Transnational Security Challenges in the Mediterranean
3. Regional Security Challenges in the Mediterranean
4. NATO in the Mediterranean
5. European Union Security Perceptions and Policies Towards the Mediterranean
6. Arab Perceptions of the European Union's Euro-Mediterranean Projects
Mohammad El-Sayed Selim.
7. The Security Challenge in Kosovo: Toward A Region-Stabilizing Solution
Steven L. Burg
8. The Cultural Scope of Balkan Security
9. South-Eastern Europe at the Brink of the New Century: The Security Aspect
10. Turkish Challenge and European Opportunity: Greek Foreign Policy Priorities in a Post-Cold War Setting
Theodore A. Couloumbis.
11. Turkish Security Challenges in the 1990s
Duygu Bazoglu Sezer
12. Greek-Turkish Rivalry and the Mediterranean Security Dilemma
R. Craig Nation
13. The Stalled Peace Process: Israeli-Syrian Track
Sami G. Hajjar.
14. Israeli Security in a Changing Environment: Challenges and Responses
Gerald M. Steinberg
15. American Policy Toward the Middle East in Clinton's Second Term
Robert O. Freedman
16. Europe, the Mediterranean and the Middle East
17. The Spirit of Eternal Negation: Russia's Hour in the Middle East
Stephen J. Blank.
About the Authors
Access Full Report [PDF]: Mediterranean Security into the Coming Millennium
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|