15 January 2022 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Northern Strike 22-1 brings arctic training to Michigan US Air Force 15 Jan 2022 -- The Northern Strike 22-1 exercise will unite service members from several states and partner forces Jan. 21-30 at Camp Grayling Joint Maneuver Training Center and Alpena Combat Readiness Training Center, which comprise the National All-Domain Warfighting Center.
- USS Nevada Visits Guam US Navy Press Release 15 Jan 2022 -- The U.S. Navy ballistic-missile submarine USS Nevada (SSBN 733) arrived at Apra Harbor, Guam Jan. 15.
- US 'Working Vibrantly' on Laser Weapons in Mideast Amid UAV Activity - CENTCOM Admiral Sputnik 15 Jan 2022 -- The US Navy is working on laser weapons in the Middle East to counteract a significant upsurge in Iran's deployment and use of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) in the region, top Central Command (CENTCOM) naval officer and US Fifth Fleet commander Vice Adm. Bradley Cooper said.
- Sharp divide remains as Russia-West talks end without breakthrough People's Daily 15 Jan 2022 -- The recent talks between Russia and the West to defuse their tensions have ended without any breakthrough, auguring potential tension escalations, while the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) even warned of the risk of a new military conflict in Europe.
- Blinken, Borrell Vow to Present 'United Transatlantic Front' After Russia Talks Sputnik 15 Jan 2022 -- EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell and US Secretary of State Antony Blinken agreed on Saturday to coordinate closely with regard to what the EU's external action service called Russian attempts to redefine security arrangements in Europe.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with EU High Representative Borrell US Dept. of State 15 Jan 2022 -- The below is attributable to Spokesperson Ned Price:
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Call with Canadian Deputy Foreign Minister Morgan US Dept. of State 15 Jan 2022 -- The below is attributable to Spokesperson Ned Price:
- Defence Secretary meets with Nordic partners amid Russian military build-up UK MOD 15 Jan 2022 -- Defence Secretary Ben Wallace meets Nordic partners amid backdrop of aggressive Russian behaviour on the border of Ukraine.
- Firing Drill of Railway-borne Missile Regiment Held KCNA 15 Jan 2022 -- A firing drill for checking and judging the proficiency in the action procedures of the railway-borne missile regiment of North Phyongan Province took place on Friday.
- DPRK announces firing drill of railway-borne missile regiment -- KCNA People's Daily 15 Jan 2022 -- A firing drill for checking and judging the proficiency in the action procedures of the railway-borne missile regiment of North Phyongan Province took place on Friday local time, the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) reported early Saturday.
- Photos: DPRK Says Friday Launches Were Firing Drill by Railway-Borne Missile Regiment Sputnik 15 Jan 2022 -- A missile launch detected on Friday morning by the South Korean military was a firing drill by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea's (DPRK) railway-borne missile regiment, state media said on Saturday.
- North Korea confirms firing two railway-borne tactical guided missiles Press TV 15 Jan 2022 -- North Korea has confirmed the test-firing of two tactical guided missiles, the third of such launches in a month amid growing tensions on the Korean Peninsula and renewed US sanctions against Pyongyang.
- India Mulls Ditching Some Foreign Defense Deals to Boost Domestic Arms Industry - Reports Sputnik 15 Jan 2022 -- The Indian Defense Ministry has begun reviewing a number of foreign defense contracts in order to replace some of them, Indian news broadcaster Republic World reported on Saturday, citing sources.
- Royal Saudi Naval Forces Carry Out "Crossing Exercise" with French Naval Forces SPA 15 Jan 2022 -- The Western Fleet of the Royal Saudi Naval Forces have carried out "Crossing Exercise" on the Red Sea with the French Naval Forces.
- Iran Tests First Solid-Fuel Space Rocket for Cheaper Satellite Delivery, IRGC General Says Sputnik 15 Jan 2022 -- A less expensive rocket, however, comes with certain downsides, such as reduced payload weight that the rocket can lift to low-Earth orbit, where most satellites are deployed.
- GCC "Arab Gulf Security 3" Exercise Kicks off in Saudi Arabia SPA 15 Jan 2022 -- Assistant Minister of Interior for Operations Affairs General Saeed Bin Abdullah Al-Qahtani, patronized today the launch of the joint tactical exercise "Arab Gulf Security 3" for the security forces in the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) for Arab States, being hosted by Saudi Arabia in the Eastern Region, with the participation of security forces from all member states.
- Seized UAE-flagged ship was carrying 'weapons' not toys, top Yemeni official tells UN Security Council Press TV 15 Jan 2022 -- A senior Yemeni official has dismissed the UN Security Council's call for the immediate release of an Emirati-flagged vessel, stressing that the ship was carrying various munitions and military equipment when it was seized in Yemen's territorial waters earlier this month.
- Yemen repels offensive, hits positions of UAE mercenaries with missiles Press TV 15 Jan 2022 -- Yemeni Armed Forces have launched retaliatory missile and drone strikes on places of gathering belonging to the UAE- and Saudi-backed mercenaries and the Daesh terrorists in flashpoint Ma'rib Province, inflicting heavy losses on them.
- Drones attack Balad Air Base hosting US troops near Iraqi capital Press TV 15 Jan 2022 -- An air base housing US military forces and warplanes in the north of the Iraqi capital Baghdad has been hit by drones amid a rise in attacks on the positions of US occupation forces in the Arab country.
- Libyan warlord Khalifa Haftar visits Israel as plane spotted at Tel Aviv airport: Report Press TV 15 Jan 2022 -- A plane carrying Libyan renegade commander Khalifa Haftar has reportedly landed at Ben Gurion Airport in the Palestinian-occupied territories, amid reports that officials from the North African country have been offered to establish diplomatic relations with the Tel Aviv regime in return for Israeli support.
- Destructive malware targeting Ukrainian organizations Microsoft 15 Jan 2022 -- Microsoft Threat Intelligence Center (MSTIC) has identified evidence of a destructive malware operation targeting multiple organizations in Ukraine. This malware first appeared on victim systems in Ukraine on January 13, 2022. Microsoft is aware of the ongoing geopolitical events in Ukraine and surrounding region and encourages organizations to use the information in this post to proactively protect from any malicious activity.
- Malware attacks targeting Ukraine government Microsoft 15 Jan 2022 -- Today, we're sharing that we've observed destructive malware in systems belonging to several Ukrainian government agencies and organizations that work closely with the Ukrainian government.
- Ukrainian Official Says Belarusian Intelligence Likely Behind Cyberattack RFE/RL 15 Jan 2022 -- A top Ukrainian official says a Belarusian intelligence agency is likely behind the hacking of several Ukrainian government websites this week.
- US Prepared 18 Response Scenarios in Case of 'Russian Invasion' of Ukraine, Victoria Nuland Says Sputnik 15 Jan 2022 -- The US, NATO, and Russia met earlier this week to discuss European security issues, including the alliance's continuing expansion towards Russia's borders, which Moscow opposes, and the ongoing concerns of the West regarding an alleged Russian military buildup near Ukraine.
- US threatens referring Russia to Security Council, claims 'false flag' operation Press TV 15 Jan 2022 -- American officials have warned Russia that if it escalates the Ukrainian security crisis, the US may refer the matter to the UN Security Council.
- US May Launch UN Showdown With Russia If 'Ukrainian Crisis Escalates' Sputnik 15 Jan 2022 -- Tensions over Ukraine have intensified in the past few months amid reports of an alleged Russian troop buildup near the Ukrainian border and claims of preparations for "an invasion". Russia denies the allegations, pointing out that it reserves the right to move forces within its sovereign territory.
- UN says 'deeply concerned' over growing hate speech in Bosnia, Serbia Press TV 15 Jan 2022 -- The United Nations says it is "deeply concerned" over the rising hate speech and glorification of war crimes in Bosnia-Herzegovina and Serbia, three decades after an appalling war killed some 100,000 people.
- UN: Hate Speech in Bosnia Herzegovina and Serbia an Incitement to Violence VOA 15 Jan 2022 -- The U.N. human rights office condemns the rise of hate speech in Bosnia and Herzegovina and Serbia, warning it could incite violence between Serbian and Muslim ethnic groups that fought a devastating war following the breakup of Yugoslavia.
- Ethiopia on Edge of Humanitarian Disaster, UN Agency Says VOA 15 Jan 2022 -- The World Food Program warns Ethiopia is on the edge of a humanitarian disaster as escalating fighting in the north is preventing the delivery of needed food from reaching millions of people in battle-scarred Tigray province.
- Prosecutors say Kazakhstan unrest has left '225 people dead' Press TV 15 Jan 2022 -- Kazakh authorities say the recent "foreign-backed" violence has left at least 225 people dead across the oil-rich Central Asian country.
- Two Of Nazarbaev's Sons-In-Law Pushed Out Of Key Energy Posts In Wake Of Kazakh Unrest RFE/RL 15 Jan 2022 -- Two sons-in-law of former Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbaev have been pushed out of top jobs at two major state companies, Kazakh officials said.
- 'Fight Far From Over' For One Kazakh Protester, Despite Clampdown On Demonstrations RFE/RL 15 Jan 2022 -- Growing up in the small, remote town of Zhalpaqtal in Kazakhstan's oil-rich northwest, Aslan Zhamaliev wasn't interested in politics.
- CSTO Chief Accuses 'Well-Organized' Terror Groups of Kazakhstan Unrest Sputnik 15 Jan 2022 -- The secretary general of the Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO), a security bloc of post-Soviet countries, blamed "well-organized" terrorist groups for week-long unrest in Kazakhstan.
- First Six Planes With Russia's Peacekeepers From CSTO Forces Arrive From Kazakhstan Sputnik 15 Jan 2022 -- The first six planes with Russian peacekeepers from the forces of the Collective Security Treaty Organisation (CSTO) have arrived at the Severny airfield in the Russian city of Ivanovo from Kazakhstan, the Russian Defence Ministry said on Saturday.
- US official says Russia arrested Colonial Pipeline hacker Press TV 15 Jan 2022 -- A senior official from the administration of US President Joe Biden has said that Russia arrested the hacker who was responsible for the massive Colonial Pipeline cyberattack last year.
- Moscow Court Orders Arrest Of Three More Linked To REvil Ransomware Group RFE/RL 15 Jan 2022 -- A Moscow court ordered the arrest of three more people allegedly linked to the ransomware group REvil, one day after Russian security agents said they had raided several apartments and seized cash and computer equipment.
- Russia denies claim it is responsible for gas crisis in Europe Press TV 15 Jan 2022 -- Russia has denied allegation by the International Energy Agency (IEA) that the country should be blamed for the current gas supply crisis in Europe.
- US new rare-earth bill another political move, won't obstruct China's development in the sector: experts Global Times 15 Jan 2022 -- A new rare-earth bill was reportedly introduced in the US Senate on Friday, aiming to force defense contractors to end the use of rare earths sourced from China by 2026. It is another political move of the US against the backdrop of its attempt to contain China's growth, but it will not obstruct the development of China's rare-earth sector, Chinese experts said on Saturday.
- US Congress targets Chinese rare earths imports Press TV 15 Jan 2022 -- A bipartisan bill in the US Congress has aimed to stop the import of strategic Chinese rare earth metals to the country.
- China debunks Xinjiang-related lies fabricated by anti-China forces People's Daily 15 Jan 2022 -- A Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson on Friday refuted the so-called "genocide" and "forced labor" in Xinjiang that U.S. politicians, in collusion with some anti-China organizations and individuals, have been unscrupulously spreading and hyping up for their ulterior political purpose.
- 10 Chinese military planes enter Taiwan's ADIZ CNA 15 Jan 2022 -- A total of 10 Chinese military aircraft, including fighter jets, flew into the southwestern part of Taiwan's air defense identification zone (ADIZ) Saturday, according to the Ministry of National Defense (MND).
- Iran, China Launch Cooperation Pact, As Beijing Slams U.S. Sanctions On Tehran RFE/RL 15 Jan 2022 -- China has repeated its opposition to U.S. sanctions against Iran while announcing that Beijing and Tehran have launched a 25-year cooperation deal aimed at bolstering economic and political ties.
- Iran, Saudi Arabia embassies preparing to reopen: Iranian MP ISNA 15 Jan 2022 -- A member of the Iranian Parliament's National Security and Foreign Policy Commission announced that the relations of Iran and Saudi Arabia are being revived and embassies of the two important countries are preparing to reopen.
- Iran, Saudi Arabia reviving ties, preparing to re-open embassies: Lawmaker Press TV 15 Jan 2022 -- Iran and Saudi Arabia are reviving bilateral relations severed five years ago over a host of issues and preparing to reopen embassies, an Iranian lawmaker says.
- Iran awards contract for 948-km fuel pipeline in east Press TV 15 Jan 2022 -- Iran has awarded a contract for construction of a major fuel pipeline project that is aimed at easing potential shortages in key consumption centers in east of the country.
- Negotiators In Iran Nuclear Talks Return Home For Consultations RFE/RL 15 Jan 2022 -- Negotiators from Europe and Iran returned to their home countries for consultations as talks aimed at renewing the 2015 nuclear deal reached a key juncture point.
- Iran focusing on verification of future moves in Vienna talks IRNA 15 Jan 2022 -- It has been heard that Iran's negotiating team in Vienna, Austria, has been focusing on verification of the United States' future actions in recent days.
- Vienna talks now focusing on verification of future US measures IRNA 15 Jan 2022 -- The representatives of Iran, the European Union and the P4+1 group (Britain, France, Russia, China plus Germany) are now focusing on verification of the United States' commitments under future agreements that was one of main issues of disagreement from the Western parties.
- Turkey, Armenia hold first talks in years on normalization Press TV 15 Jan 2022 -- Turkey and Armenia say their representatives held "positive and constructive" talks in the Russian capital Moscow, for the first time in decades, in an attempt to restore ties and reopen borders after decades of animosity.
- Mali Gives Airlines 72 Hours to Confirm Service VOA 15 Jan 2022 -- After several airlines discontinued service to Mali due to new regional sanctions, the country's government has responded with its own economic threat.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|