05 December 2021 Military News
- US military bases, troops come under attack in Syria, Iraq Press TV 05 Dec 2021 -- Two military bases used by US occupation forces in Syria and a convoy of American troops in Iraq have come under attack, amid rising anti-US sentiment in the two neighboring Arab countries.
Defense Policy / Programs
- USS Arleigh Burke Arrives in Constanta, Romania US Navy 05 Dec 2021 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer USS Arleigh Burke (DDG 51) arrived in Constanta, Romania for a scheduled port visit, Dec. 5, 2021.
- Robins AFB remote control aircraft tug creates safer work environment US Air Force 05 Dec 2021 -- Remote controlled tugs are being used to move F-15 Eagles around the flight line and through hangars at Robins Air Force Base.
- Russian planes change course to avoid collision with NATO spy jet over Black Sea Press TV 05 Dec 2021 -- Russia's state aviation authority says its air traffic control personnel have been forced to divert the course of two aircraft to avoid collision with a NATO spy plane in the Black Sea region.
- PLA's new-type bomber practices island bombing, mine-laying in S.China Sea Global Times 05 Dec 2021 -- The H-6J, the latest type of bomber to enter service with the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy, recently participated in a live-fire exercise in the South China Sea, practicing bomb dropping on islands and sea mine-laying, which analysts said on Sunday displayed the aircraft's traditional bombing capability in addition to its standoff strike competence.
- Fitting of 105-mm armored vehicle assault guns to start next month CNA 05 Dec 2021 -- Taiwan's military will start installing locally-produced 105-mm assault guns onto its eight-wheeled Clouded Leopard armored vehicles next month, a military source told CNA Sunday.
- First of the four ships under Survey Vessel (Large) project for Indian Navy launched in the presence of Raksha Rajya Mantri at GRSE, Kolkata India PIB 05 Dec 2021 -- 'Sandhayak', the first of the four Survey Vessels (Large) project being built for the Indian Navy, was launched in Kolkata on December 05, 2021
- INDIAN ARMY CONTINGENT LEAVES FOR 11TH EDITION OF JOINT INDO-MALDIVES TRAINING EXCERCISE 'EX EKUVERIN' India PIB 05 Dec 2021 -- 11th Edition of Exercise EKUVERIN between India & Maldives will be conducted at Kadhdhoo Island, Maldives from 06 to 19 December 2021
- Putin to Visit New Delhi Amid Spotlight on Indian Defense Purchase VOA 05 Dec 2021 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin arrives in India Monday for a summit as Moscow begins the delivery of air defense missile systems to India that could spur U.S. sanctions.
- Pakistani naval fleet docks in Iran's Bandar Abbas Press TV 05 Dec 2021 -- A Pakistani naval fleet, comprising three warships, has arrived in Iran's southern port city of Bandar Abbas on the Persian Gulf.
- Saudi, Bahrain Navies Begin Mixed Joint Maritime Exercise "JISR-22" SPA 05 Dec 2021 -- The Royal Saudi Naval Forces (RSNF) and the Royal Bahraini Naval Forces launched today the mixed bilateral maritime exercise "JISR-22" at King Abdulaziz Naval Base in the Eastern Fleet in Jubail, Saudi Arabia.
- Royal Saudi Naval Forces Launch Last Warship of Sarawat Corvette Project in Spain SPA 05 Dec 2021 -- Under the patronage of the Commander of the Royal Saudi Naval Forces (RSNF), Lt. Gen. Admiral Fahd bin Abdullah Al-Ghufaili, the RSNF have celebrated the ceremonial launching of last warship of "AVANTE 2200" Corvette, which is the 5th warship of its type within the Sarawat Corvette Project.
- Age-Old Feud Between Allies Poses Challenge to Biden's Asia Policy VOA 05 Dec 2021 -- In its attempts to revitalize trilateral cooperation with Japan and South Korea, the Biden administration is facing a decadeslong dispute between the allies that is jeopardizing Washington's goals of curbing Beijing's growing aggression and Pyongyang's threats, according to experts.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with the United Arab Emirates Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed US Dept. of State 05 Dec 2021
- SAMI, Airbus to Form Joint Venture for Military Aviation MRO and Services SPA 05 Dec 2021 -- The Saudi Arabian Military Industries (SAMI), a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF) and the National Champion of Military Industries Localization, and Airbus have signed an agreement to form a joint venture on military aviation services and maintenance, repair, and overhaul (MRO) capabilities.
- Afghan Activists Unhappy With Government Degree On Women's Rights Protest In Kabul RFE/RL Gandhara 05 Dec 2021 -- Afghan women's rights activists held a protest in Kabul on December 5, insisting that they will continue to fight for their right to education, employment, and participation in politics after the Taliban-led government issued a decree on women's rights that they say is inadequate.
- Taliban Denies Summary Killings Of Former Members Of Afghan Security Forces RFE/RL Gandhara 05 Dec 2021 -- The Taliban-led government in Afghanistan has rejected condemnation by Western countries over the alleged summary killings of former members of the Afghan security forces.
- US, Allies Call on Taliban to Ensure Amnesty for Ex-Afghan Security Forces Members Sputnik 05 Dec 2021 -- More than 20 countries, including the US, as well as the European Union, have expressed concern in a joint statement over allegations of crackdowns on former members of Afghan security forces.
- Taliban Pledge to Probe Alleged 'Summary Killings' of Ex-Afghan Forces VOA 05 Dec 2021 -- Afghanistan's ruling Taliban on Sunday rejected Western allegations they were carrying out targeted killings of security officials linked to the ousted U.S.-backed government in Kabul, saying the Islamist group was fully committed to enforcing a general amnesty across the country.
- Yemen: Saudi peace plan 'immature,' includes 'unrealistic' demands Press TV 05 Dec 2021 -- A high-ranking member of Yemen's Supreme Political Council has dismissed as "immature" Saudi Arabia's so-called peace initiative for the conflict-stricken Arab country, saying that the demands put forward by the Riyadh regime in the plan are "unrealistic."
- Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's answer to a question of the "Moscow. Kremlin. Putin" programme, Moscow, December 5, 2021 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 05 Dec 2021
- Biden-Putin video call draws world attention as Ukraine tensions grow Global Times 05 Dec 2021 -- US President Joe Biden and Russian President Vladimir Putin are scheduled to speak in a video call Tuesday as tensions between the US and Russia escalate, and observers noted that while the main focus would be Ukraine, it would be hard for Russia and the US to reach a consensus on one occasion.
- EU's Borrell Says Brussels Working to Forestall Conflict Between Russia and Ukraine Sputnik 05 Dec 2021 -- The European Union is making a diplomatic effort to prevent an escalation of tensions on the border between Russia and Ukraine, EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Josep Borrell has said.
- Azerbaijan Returns Captured Armenian Soldiers In Exchange For Mine Maps RFE/RL 05 Dec 2021 -- Azerbaijan has freed 10 Armenian soldiers captured during deadly border clashes last month.
- Attack on Civilians in Mali US Dept. of State 05 Dec 2021 -- The agreement was signed in the presence of the Russian and Indian defence ministers, Sergei Shoigu and Rajnath Singh.
- Concept of democracy in China's white paper People's Daily 05 Dec 2021 -- China released a white paper Saturday expounding on the concept and practice of its democracy.
- US democracy alienated and degenerated; China Foreign Ministry says in report Press TV 05 Dec 2021 -- China has highlighted "the alienation and the malaises of democracy in the United States," amid efforts by Washington to force other nations to conform to the Western democratic model.
- China has 'confidence, strength' in expounding on its democracy: senior official Global Times 05 Dec 2021 -- China has the confidence and strength in expounding on its democratic practice, as China has actively responded to people's requests and expectations, developed the whole-process people's democracy and achieved the widest participation of its people, Xu Lin, Vice Minister of the Publicity Department of the CPC Central Committee and Minister of the State Council Information Office, said at a press conference Saturday on the launch of a white paper on China's democracy.
- China's democracy 'more extensive, genuine and effective' than US democracy: official Global Times 05 Dec 2021 -- China's democracy is more extensive, more genuine and more effective than the US democracy, as the US politicians represent the interest groups but in China the whole-process democracy ensures implementation of policies that change people's lives, senior Chinese officials said on Saturday as China issued a white paper titled "China: Democracy That Works."
- Xi stresses developing religions in Chinese context Global Times 05 Dec 2021 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping has stressed upholding the principle of developing religions in the Chinese context and providing active guidance for the adaptation of religions to the socialist society.
- Xi stresses developing religions in Chinese context People's Daily 05 Dec 2021 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping has stressed upholding the principle of developing religions in the Chinese context, and providing active guidance for the adaptation of religions to socialist society.
- China to establish new rare-earth mammoth through merger Global Times 05 Dec 2021 -- China is set to establish a global rare-earth giant based on the merger of rare-earth assets from several state-owned enterprises, in a move that analysts say will effectively enhance the development and concentration of the domestic rare-earth industry.
- China has more tools to contain risks from Evergrande's woes: observer Global Times 05 Dec 2021 -- Chinese analysts on Sunday refuted some foreign media reports saying that the Evergrande Group's latest debt warnings and the country's move to rein in the real estate industry will greatly decelerate China's GDP growth, noting that the country is already acting to prevent a domino effect and it has more tools than some Western countries to deal with the issue of a single developer.
- Despite Beijing's ire, Baltic lawmakers bet on Taiwan CNA 05 Dec 2021 -- Head of the Lithuanian parliament's Taiwan friendship group Matas Maldeikis is keen to stress that the choice between solidarity with Taipei's democratic government or economic gains with China is a false dichotomy.
- Slovak deputy minister arrives in Taiwan for inaugural meet CNA 05 Dec 2021 -- A 43-member Slovak delegation led by the country's deputy economic minister arrived in Taiwan Sunday evening, the highest-level visit made by the EU member state since it opened a representative office in Taiwan in 2003.
- US officials hyping Taiwan tensions for hegemony; PLA maintains readiness: expert Global Times 05 Dec 2021 -- The Chinese mainland will not take the initiative to take military action against the island of Taiwan, but if secessionist forces on the island cross the red line, the mainland is sure and capable of resolving Taiwan question through military means, experts noted, as US defense secretary Lloyd Austin claimed that the mainland's frequent military moves in the Straits are "rehearsals for military operations" against the island.
- Iran expects practical response in next Vienna talks: Diplomat IRNA 05 Dec 2021 -- A high-ranking diplomat from Iran's Ministry of Foreign Affairs has called on other negotiating teams to prepare rational, precise, and possibly pragmatic responses to Iranian suggestions for Vienna talks.
- Iran's Foreign Ministry's briefing meeting on latest status of Vienna talks ISNA 05 Dec 2021 -- A Senior official of Iran's Ministry of Foreign Affairs held a briefing meeting, explaining about the latest status of the Vienna talks, the progress made and the challenges ahead.
- President Raeisi defends proposals forwarded by Iran during Vienna talks Press TV 05 Dec 2021 -- President Ebrahim Raeisi defends the proposals that have been forwarded by Iran during negotiations held in Vienna to examine the prospect of the US's removing its sanctions against the Islamic Republic.
- Iran will not go back on demands it put forth during Vienna talks: Chief negotiator Press TV 05 Dec 2021 -- Iran's top negotiator in Vienna talks on the removal of sanctions imposed on the country says the Islamic Republic will not backtrack on the demands it has put forth during the seventh round of talks with other signatories to the 2015 nuclear deal in the Austrian capital.
- Iran Blames US Stubbornness on Sanctions for Breakdown of Vienna Nuke Talks Sputnik 05 Dec 2021 -- Washington diplomats on Friday stormed out of talks on re-admitting the US to the JCPOA nuclear deal with Iran, claiming the Tehran delegation's insistence on a return to its original terms was not "serious" and accusing it of "walking back" concessions made by its previous president.
- Iran Walked Back All Compromises Made During Past Nuclear Talks in Vienna, US Official Reveals Sputnik 05 Dec 2021 -- The latest round of talks in Vienna saw Iran walk back all previous compromises made for reviving the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, a senior US State Department official has revealed.
- Iran's air defense units fire missiles to test rapid reaction force over central Natanz city Press TV 04 Dec 2021 -- Following reports of a large explosion that was heard in the central city of Natanz, Iran's air defense force says it fired missiles to test rapid reaction force.
- Belarus Summons Ukrainian Military Attache Over Alleged Airspace Violation RFE/RL 05 Dec 2021 -- The Belarusian Defense Ministry has summoned Ukraine's military attaché to protest what the ministry said were "increasing violations" of Belarus's airspace by Ukrainian aircraft.
- Belarus' Defense Ministry Hands Note to Ukraine's Diplomat Over Air Border Crossings Sputnik 05 Dec 2021 -- A military attache of the Ukrainian Embassy in Belarus was summoned to the country's Defense Ministry on Sunday, where he received a note of protest over Ukraine entering Belarus' air space, the ministry said.
- Pakistani PM Tells Sri Lankan President Justice Will Be Served For Vigilante Killing RFE/RL Gandhara 05 Dec 2021 -- Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan has called Sri Lanka's president to provide assurances that justice will be served following the lynching of a Sri Lankan factory manager in central Pakistan.
- Chinese Embassy in Solomon Islands condemns violence, warns nationals of security risks Global Times 05 Dec 2021 -- The Chinese Embassy in the Solomon Islands strongly has condemned the violence and expressed sincere sympathy to the stranded overseas Chinese as Chinese merchants and shops suffered from severe economic losses and hundreds of Chinese nationals became homeless due to the severe social riots in capital Honiara.
- Sudan junta chief denies military members could run in 2023 elections Press TV 05 Dec 2021 -- Sudanese Junta chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan has denied that military members of the transitional administration could run for the country's July 2023 elections.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|